Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:13 pm

The road adjacent to the one on which I live is 35 mph for a random 1 mile section. State troopers sit there several times a month and write tickets between 9am and 6pm, hitting people heading to work, the store, etc. who dared drive 41mph on a straight stretch of road. Meanwhile coal truck fly through that same stretch at 70+ mph from 4-7am and the cops are never around then to issue tickets for genuinely dangerous driving.

It's a total scam.
There's a section of the coast road behind LAX (called Vista del Mar) that's like that. 3-ish miles long, the speed limit changes 7 times between 35 and 50. It's a popular public beach (one of the only in LA County where open fires are permitted), so it's usually pretty crowded. But that should be why the speed limit is a constant 35, not an exercise in whimsy.

And yes, I've gotten a speeding ticket there.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:14 pm

In my mind prison should be for one reason: Protection of society.

All jails do are create criminals and encourage criminality.

Zero non-violent crimes should carry a prison sentence. Any kind of theft should be restitution.
This is pretty much where I'm at as well.
but you agreed with MiMH about the "punishment" element, which is in no way compatible with freddy's post.

punishment for the sake of punishment is inhumane and worthless. punishment as therapy for victims isn't appropriate either. no one should be locked in prison just so that another person feels like their personal revenge was satiated.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:19 pm

So catch the bad people. Don’t spend your time writing tickets for traffic non-sense. Use that time to build cases against those bad people.
And how do you do that if you want minimal police interaction? I continue to hear "well they should have just let them go, don't chase after them, etc, etc". So only act after the crime is committed and not try to prevent it?

I'm sure as soon as someone is killed by a car going 100 on the parkway, the first question will be "why aren't the police doing enough to stop this.". Always works that way with people like you. It's a complex world out there.
FYI people are already driving 100 on the parkway/turnpike. The position you’re arguing is currently in place and failing.
Ok, let's just open it up and no speed limits. Save those hard working people money.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:21 pm

Larry David hiring a hooker to use the HOV lane to the Dodgers game: legal

Larry David hanging a handicap placard on his rear view: illegal

Got it
There's a crazy story that goes along with this episode. A man took his daughter to the game, but later on was being charged with murder. The man happened to be sitting in a section and was caught on tape, proving his innocence.
We watched this on Netflix a couple months ago. Utter bananas.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:22 pm

Source of the post Ok, let's just open it up and no speed limits.
Finally, a good idea from you...

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:22 pm

In my mind prison should be for one reason: Protection of society.

All jails do are create criminals and encourage criminality.

Zero non-violent crimes should carry a prison sentence. Any kind of theft should be restitution.
This is pretty much where I'm at as well.
but you agreed with MiMH about the "punishment" element, which is in no way compatible with freddy's post.

punishment for the sake of punishment is inhumane and worthless. punishment as therapy for victims isn't appropriate either. no one should be locked in prison just so that another person feels like their personal revenge was satiated.
Right, which is why I said "pretty much." The punishment aspect is tough for me because I agree that it can be inhumane and worthless, but also crosses over as protection of society. But if someone were to rape my daughter, I'd want them punished. Yes, that's personal revenge. However, I guess in a non-emotional way, the true reason would be protection from society.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:23 pm

i've actually never considered the merits of post-hoc ticketing for moving violations. use sensors rather than patrol cars, and send citations in the mail. gotta say it seems pretty efficient. i don't know how many lives are saved by catching folks in the act. probably not many, since most people will just go back to their habits after the cop pulls away.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:26 pm

I actually think rapists should get the death penalty.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:26 pm

Source of the post use sensors rather than patrol cars
Can confirm, remote speed cameras do work, even in heavy rain. I even got a video of me with my violation. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:27 pm

And anyone who hurts children.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:32 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:34 pm

How does prison provide rehabilitation for someone? I agree with punishment, protection, and deterrence (although I think there's a bit of research that prison doesn't really deter criminals). But how is rehab carried out?
so I'll be honest: I don't know. I've never been to jail, nor do I plan on it, but i would imagine/hope that there's some sort of rehabilitation program to help those who've committed crimes understand the victims' perspective. Maybe not but it should hopefully be part of it

then again I have this idea in my head where prison is some magical land where people learn from their mistakes and pray for forgiveness when in reality it's probably closer to factions of gangs plotting on how to kick the **** out of each other until they get released

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:34 pm

And anyone who hurts children.
Easy way out. I'd rather they rot in jail. Which I guess is the proponent of punishment aspect of my thinking.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:41 pm

I don't think the government should be in the business of killing its citizens.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:42 pm

How does prison provide rehabilitation for someone? I agree with punishment, protection, and deterrence (although I think there's a bit of research that prison doesn't really deter criminals). But how is rehab carried out?
so I'll be honest: I don't know. I've never been to jail, nor do I plan on it, but i would imagine/hope that there's some sort of rehabilitation program to help those who've committed crimes understand the victims' perspective. Maybe not but it should hopefully be part of it

then again I have this idea in my head where prison is some magical land where people learn from their mistakes and pray for forgiveness when in reality it's probably closer to factions of gangs plotting on how to kick the **** out of each other until they get released
I've done work in prisons. Let's just say that the percentage of prisoners who "find Jesus" and come out a better person is lower than the J&J blood clot number.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:45 pm

Yeesh

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:46 pm

i've actually never considered the merits of post-hoc ticketing for moving violations. use sensors rather than patrol cars, and send citations in the mail. gotta say it seems pretty efficient. i don't know how many lives are saved by catching folks in the act. probably not many, since most people will just go back to their habits after the cop pulls away.
I do think things will eventually move that way. They have sensors in the construction zones on the Turnpike by Monroeville.

I've been nailed in Iowa when I was driving on some large open road by a drone and got a ticket in the mail a few weeks later.

But it will take time.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:48 pm

Nailed by a drone and also ticketed? Rough day.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:07 pm

yeah, i think it's pretty grotesque to advocate for the death penalty in any situation. either the purpose of prison is societal protection or it isn't. you don't get to just cherry pick the really bad crimes and say THEY'RE about punishment and others are about civics.

and if one is saying the death penalty is some sort of economic measure to substitute for a lifetime of expensive housing...equally grotesque.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:10 pm

So catch the bad people. Don’t spend your time writing tickets for traffic non-sense. Use that time to build cases against those bad people.
And how do you do that if you want minimal police interaction? I continue to hear "well they should have just let them go, don't chase after them, etc, etc". So only act after the crime is committed and not try to prevent it?

I'm sure as soon as someone is killed by a car going 100 on the parkway, the first question will be "why aren't the police doing enough to stop this.". Always works that way with people like you. It's a complex world out there.
FYI people are already driving 100 on the parkway/turnpike. The position you’re arguing is currently in place and failing.
Ok, let's just open it up and no speed limits. Save those hard working people money.
I didn’t say no speed limits. They are typically calculated based on the the roadway itself. That’s more educating the public and most likely insurance companies will instituting stiff penalties if you wreck and we’re found to be violating the posted safe speed. Which again can be calculated through various measures.

The vast majority of people would most likely drive like they do now. The a-holes in the beamers would continue driving 100 mph like they do now. Then police could actually focus on crime instead of harassing the general public.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:16 pm

yeah, i think it's pretty grotesque to advocate for the death penalty in any situation. either the purpose of prison is societal protection or it isn't. you don't get to just cherry pick the really bad crimes and say THEY'RE about punishment and others are about civics.

and if one is saying the death penalty is some sort of economic measure to substitute for a lifetime of expensive housing...equally grotesque.
I believe, without a shadow of a doubt, that some criminals deserve to die for what they've done. But I don't think our government should be the executing them. Lock them away for the rest of their lives. Despite what so many say, prison is punishment. I'll never forget an interview with a guy who was exonerated via the Innocence Project after decades in prison. He'd been sentenced to die but somewhere along the line it was commuted to a life sentence. He said, the day that happened was worse than the day he'd been wrongly convicted. He felt that being executed for a crime he didn't commit was preferable to spending many more decades of his life locked up while innocent.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:21 pm

saw someone refer to the GOP as "America's minority party". It sort of struck me, and I hadn't thought about it in those terms. That this is the indefinite fate of the party until a drastic sea change that will take a generation to fulfill.

if a party is stuck as the minority party and has (effectively) permanent majority control over the ultimate judicial body as well as a puncher's chance to overtake the other 2 branches at any given election, that was in no way the intent of the constitutional framers to say the least.

this is an unsustainable system regardless of which team you're on.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:42 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/us/live-updates ... l-shooting

Both the police chief, and the officer that shot Wright have both resigned from their jobs.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:26 pm

Don't care. Prosecute. Bad cops move around like bad priests; at will and under protection from their own.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:35 pm

I don't think the officer in Brooklyn Park will seek employment as a cop again. I think she was genuinely alarmed at what she had done, and recognizes the permanent consequences.

Derek Chauvin and others involved in the Floyd incident didn't resign. I don't think Chauvin to this day feels like he did anything wrong. The Brooklyn Center officer does not seem like she is cut from that same cloth. I could be wrong, we shall see.