Politics And Current Events

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Funny video either way.
Yes. Hilarious.

It was funny because they got the piss scared out of them. The only person I see in any possible danger is the driver.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:24 pm

there are plenty of good points in here, but this guy snorted 3 lines and decided to write a facebook post disguised as an official statement. if this is a raw, personal, emotional response to a horrible event, i get it, and we all have our moments. but a person of authority trying to censor speech is a hell of a thing to attach to official letterhead.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:24 pm

Agreed... the ONLY person in any POSSIBLE danger is the driver.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:25 pm

@nobody

Yes. That’s the point of protesting. If they are in a right of way and subject to arrest for it, then call the police and they will be arrested. That’s how civil disobedience works. The mistaken notion that protest should be limited to a fenced in area is, IMO, preposterous. Inconveniencing the persons who are effectuating the policies you protest is the point; potential arrest for tresspass or similar charges is the risk protestors accept.

Moreover, your post makes an enormous assumption — that this individuals only route to get where they were going was via threatening to run over 5 or more protestors.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:28 pm

dozens of people surround your car and start beating on it. I'm sure you'd roll down the window and shake their hands.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:28 pm

i don't think there's much going on in that video, tbh. i think we've all seen footage of people actually driving through protesters and we've also seen footage of protesters actually attacking drivers. i wouldn't say either happened here.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:31 pm

Yesterday cops and ICE agencies getting shot up fell under the plant/grow umbrella, but lying in the street is exempt from the most logical of outcomes.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:31 pm

@nobody

Yes. That’s the point of protesting. If they are in a right of way and subject to arrest for it, then call the police and they will be arrested. That’s how civil disobedience works. The mistaken notion that protest should be limited to a fenced in area is, IMO, preposterous. Inconveniencing the persons who are effectuating the policies you protest is the point; potential arrest for tresspass or similar charges is the risk protestors accept.

Moreover, your post makes an enormous assumption — that this individuals only route to get where they were going was via threatening to run over 5 or more protestors.
It shouldn’t be limitedto a fenced in area, but I draw the line at protesting on the streets. You could legitimately be putting a person’s life at risk in certain situations. Ambulances and such. So if a car/truck comes up to your protest (yes that driver shouldn’t be that aggressive) you better get the **** out of the way. If you don’t move in a reasonable amount of time and then start approaching the vehicle, that driver is allowed to defend themselves.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:32 pm

dozens of people surround your car and start beating on it. I'm sure you'd roll down the window and shake their hands.
If my family is in the car and people did that, I’d floor the gas pedal.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:33 pm

@nobody

It shouldn’t be limitedto a fenced in area, but I draw the line at protesting on the streets. You could legitimately be putting a person’s life at risk in certain situations. Ambulances and such. So if a car/truck comes up to your protest (yes that driver shouldn’t be that aggressive) you better get the **** out of the way. If you don’t move in a reasonable amount of time and then start approaching the vehicle, that driver is allowed to defend themselves.
Where’s the ambulance in that video or indication that an emergency is present?

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:34 pm

That video was weak. I thought there'd be people flying everywhere and some trunk going 100mph the way the caption sounded.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:37 pm

I wasn't trying to get anything started. I wouldn't have shared or condoned the video if someone actually got hit. But I think it's preposterous that protesting like that is cheered on. They should be allowed to do it, provided when a vehicle needs to get through, they step aside. That ensures every car that pulls up has to look at them and I guess contemplate their message.
And I did think it was funny. The shrieking and yelling SHAME! at the driver made me laugh.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:39 pm

You're a murderer, good to know.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:42 pm

You're a murderer, good to know.
That would be self defense. And I’m not talking about this scenario, I’m talking if people came up to my car and literally started beating on my car while my family is in the car.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:44 pm

“I’m glad you are a murderer. I’m glad you want people killed. Great person you are. “

-nobody everytime a joke is made on this board

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:44 pm

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:48 pm

“I’m glad you are a murderer. I’m glad you want people killed. Great person you are. “

-nobody everytime a joke is made on this board
Spot on description of something I don’t do. :thumb:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:57 pm

In this situation, I'd first stay about 20 feet away from human beings. If I accidentally press the gas pedal, and they start banging on my hood, I then shift to reverse and go backwards and assess whether I want to be dinged on vehicular homicide (ooooooor manslaughter) or if I just do something other than that - even if I have to explain to my boss that I couldn't make it to work on time because of my unwillingness to kill.

I've seen situations where a car is surrounded, and people have been dragged out thru their windows, but i don't know what that has to do with this video.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:01 pm

Also, I want to be sure I'm 100% up to speed.

Shyster posted a fake news article that asserted the Trump administration was saying bad things about the SCOTUS to the SCOTUS, and because not one single person responded to it that is therefore proof of wide-ranging TDS.
If the Trump administration had posted such a brief, it would have been national news all about Trump attacking the courts. But except for conservative outlets like Fox News and the Washington Times, it was pretty much crickets. That the brief was extraordinary is not in doubt. Even this post at ThinkProgress, while generally supportive of the brief, concedes that the "brief itself is less a legal document than a declaration of war" and that it concludes with a "threat":

Five Democratic senators just declared all-out war on the Supreme Court
https://thinkprogress.org/five-democrat ... 1fed719e6/

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:21 pm

I shall continue in my non-TDS way of not freaking out over Trump not writing that brief by saying that I think it would be appropriate for The Nine to clap back in one voice in response. Basically we have a political stunt where politicians complain to a group of political appointees that they are too political, so straighten up and fly right or we will toxify this even more with political shenanigans.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:56 pm

Do it Donald
NEW: Trump has asked advisers whether the U.S. can acquire Greenland, w/ @vmsalama @rebeccaballhaus @MichaelCBender
https://t.co/by3GYzCvnr

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Hope Hicks’ Attorney says she wasn’t calling Michael Cohen about Stormy Daniels on October 8. She was calling about the (alleged) pee tape. https://t.co/gLYy1h0nhr

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:29 pm

Do it Donald
NEW: Trump has asked advisers whether the U.S. can acquire Greenland, w/ @vmsalama @rebeccaballhaus @MichaelCBender
Trump’s GREENland New Deal.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:31 pm

Do it Donald
Probably to lower the national average temperature to say there is no global warming. (I think I'm kidding)

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:32 pm

Do it Donald
Probably to lower the national average temperature to say there is no global warming. (I think I'm kidding)
Probably for geopolitical reasons. We already have exclusive military rights there.