Politics And Current Events

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:33 pm

I'm getting the feeling that on November 3, 2020, a lot of you are going to be #MadOnline.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:44 pm

0.5/10

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:02 pm

Mesut Özil has caused controversy by apparently asking Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Turkey’s president, to be guest of honour at his wedding
https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/11 ... 1707747329

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:05 pm

I'm getting the feeling that on November 3, 2020, a lot of you are going to be #MadOnline.
Try a little harder than that.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:07 pm

https://twitter.com/AlexNowrasteh/statu ... 8286494721
Understanding terrorism trends is hard because there are so few terrorist attacks in the US and so few people murdered by them. Of the ~265,000 murders in the US from 2002-2018, 0.04% were committed by Islamist terrorists and 0.02% were committed by RW terrorists.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:18 pm

But don't forget to take off your belt and shoes at the airport!

#theater

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:49 pm

I got my bag searched yesterday morning because of business cards.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:00 pm

Flying back up to San Jose a couple weeks ago, Mrs Tif did not have my TSA Known Traveler ID when she checked us in. So I didn't get PreCheck. Going through security, I was flagged to take my shoes off.

Thankfully, the skies above the Central Valley were secured on that day. There's no telling what fury I may have chosen to unleash otherwise.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:18 pm

I got randomly selected when I flew out of PITT on 3/2

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:02 pm

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:34 pm

While the press doesn’t like writing about it, nor do I need them to, I donate my yearly Presidential salary of $400,000.00 to different agencies throughout the year, this to Homeland Security. If I didn’t do it there would be hell to pay from the FAKE NEWS MEDIA!

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:49 pm

"As a developer, Donald Trump borrowed more than $2 billion from Deutsche Bank. Once he was president, employees were told not to utter his name."
https://t.co/ZeMXRE1hym

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:12 pm

The anti-gun folks are intentionally ignorant, like you have to actively try to be that dumb.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:12 pm

Besides Morning Joe is 100% responsible for Donald Trump.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:19 pm

Biden considering early announcement of running mate: report
https://t.co/k0ThSRFbeJ

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:29 pm

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:31 pm

"As a developer, Donald Trump borrowed more than $2 billion from Deutsche Bank. Once he was president, employees were told not to utter his name."
This was interesting. I have a client who somehow works out a new deal with a different bank every couple of years despite their books being incredibly horrid. There's always someone desperate enough for a new client

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:02 am

Pennsylvania State Rep. Brian Ellis has resigned after being accused of sexually assaulting a woman who believes she was drugged while having a drink.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/03 ... iKcBf0sc7k

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:18 am

Yay Butler...

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:23 am

This was interesting. I have a client who somehow works out a new deal with a different bank every couple of years despite their books being incredibly horrid. There's always someone desperate enough for a new client
extremely astute observation

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:32 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/19/us-econ ... urvey.html

Probably as good a time as any to reflect on the abject stupidity of Trump imposing all those tariffs after a supply side economic stimulus. The merits of supply side theory is far from settled, but if the plan was to try and give US companies a boost by lowering their tax burden to make them more competitive on the global market, to then sap global demand by unilaterally instigating trade disputes across the globe is beyond baffling.

It should probably be a bigger part of the overall conversation about how critically uninformed this president is about anything, except TV ratings.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:01 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... ls-n984256

This is insane. There is creeping fascism here.
But Taylor Levy and Hector Ruiz, whose names were not included on the San Diego list, were stopped 700 miles to the east in El Paso, Texas. Levy and Ruiz both provide legal assistance to asylum-seekers on the U.S. and Mexican sides of the border.

Ruiz, a staff attorney with the Santa Fe Dreamers Project, says he was stopped one night in mid-December, after returning on foot from dinner with friends in Juarez, Mexico. Several agents who he says told him they specialize in criminal and terrorism cases asked him specific questions about his job and his political beliefs.

"They asked me what my opinion was on the administration, just generally. And how we are doing economically," Ruiz said.

"I was treated like a criminal, people were shouting at me," he added. After four hours at the station, he says he finally agreed to unlock his phone and watched as they scrolled through his contacts. He worries about the information they might have gleaned about the clients he works with.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:10 am

extremely astute observation
Thank you, kenneth. The difference being is that it usually isn't the same bank

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:21 am

here's a wildly unpopular take that will be impossible to bring up in any public setting whatsoever.

my town in NJ is extremely expensive to get into. i imagine the median property tax is about $15,000 a year. but it's a top school district. it's safe. it's clean. it's comfortable. it's predictable. it has good infrastructure. its property value has been recession proof. but it's not culturally diverse and does not have representation from low-income households. the town virtue signalers are seeing this as a problem. well folks...this is what they call a nasty little design feature. not that anyone is averse to racial diversity, but there are still sad economic correlations there.

i don't want to get too in the weeds with details, but it's extremely obvious that the high income threshold is A) what drove everyone to live here and B) what preserves our property value. but here we are, getting upset about the state diversity rankings and embracing the state mandate to add additional low income housing. this is an ugly topic that is akin to the idea of closed borders down south. but frankly, it is what it is. calm your tits, regressive left. if we want to help, we reach out to build up our surrounding communities. but like immigration, there's no magic bullet here to make everyone happy.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:30 am

here's a wildly unpopular take that will be impossible to bring up in any public setting whatsoever.

my town in NJ is extremely expensive to get into. i imagine the median property tax is about $15,000 a year. but it's a top school district. it's safe. it's clean. it's comfortable. it's predictable. it has good infrastructure. its property value has been recession proof. but it's not culturally diverse and does not have representation from low-income households. the town virtue signalers are seeing this as a problem. well folks...this is what they call a nasty little design feature. not that anyone is averse to racial diversity, but there are still sad economic correlations there.

i don't want to get too in the weeds with details, but it's extremely obvious that the high income threshold is A) what drove everyone to live here and B) what preserves our property value. but here we are, getting upset about the state diversity rankings and embracing the state mandate to add additional low income housing. this is an ugly topic that is akin to the idea of closed borders down south. but frankly, it is what it is. calm your tits, regressive left. if we want to help, we reach out to build up our surrounding communities. but like immigration, there's no magic bullet here to make everyone happy.
There is definitely a phenomena of limousine liberals being willing to speak out against the racial disparities that their decisions and their actions proliferate, but then just doing the everyday things that maintain their position on the food chain. I don't know how exactly this ties in, but I just spent the weekend with my limousine liberal in-laws, and at one point, with absolute conviction, my mother in law told me that Boston was a diverse city.