Politics And Current Events

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:43 am

According to that one person from the comments section...yes.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:45 am

And I can guarantee that she isn't the only one thinking that.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:52 am

The whole “docs get paid more for diagnosing covid” is on of the most ridiculous things that has arisen during the pandemic

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:09 pm

I can’t imagine how something like that could manifest and be amplified to 30% of the population.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:19 pm

I absolutely believe there are people who would do that, and some of them are doctors. I didn't get that opinion from twitter though.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:19 pm

I thought it was understood that the pandemic was invented to get rid of cash.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:21 pm

And I can guarantee that she isn't the only one thinking that.
A good 60% of Somerset thinks that.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:54 pm

We should go back in time and erase every morsel of positive sentiment expressed about crenshaw because snl laughed at his eye patch.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:30 pm

He should change his name to fought in the mountains of afghanistan. What a Canaan

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:04 pm

https://reason.com/2020/12/04/epidemiol ... ork-times/
The New York Times asked 700 epidemiologists to describe their COVID-19 habits, how their thinking has changed since the pandemic began, and when they think it will be safe for normal life to resume. Dismayingly, several answered that last question with a resounding never.

"I expect that wearing a mask will become part of my daily life, moving forward, even after a vaccine is deployed," Amy Hobbs, a research associate at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, told The Times.

Marilyn Tseng, an assistant professor at California Polytechnic State University, said life would never revert to the way it was, though the preventative measures currently practiced—masks and social distancing—will feel "normal" in time. Similarly, Vasily Vlassov, a professor at HSE University in Moscow, said life was perfectly normal now because this is the new normal.
I get that this is just a percentage of epidemiologists surveyed, but the fact that this is even being entertained is a little alarming.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:18 pm

Asian countries don't seem to have an issue with it. I'm not sure why it would be a big deal for us to start adopting it.

At this point it feels like 2nd nature when I got into stores.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:19 pm

Asian countries don't seem to have an issue with it.
Beat me to it.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:21 pm

Asian countries also poo into a hole in the floor.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:22 pm

I'm fine with masks now because we are in a pandemic but I certainly don't want to be wearing them forever when I go to stores and restaurants.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:22 pm

The **** does that have to do with wearing a mask on a regular basis, Freddy?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:25 pm

I'm fine with masks now because we are in a pandemic but I certainly don't want to be wearing them forever when I go to stores and restaurants.
I don't believe they are talking about mandatory masks in the future but some people may continue wearing them, like they currently do in Asia. Once any mandates are over some people will still do more than they have in the past to protect themselves.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:33 pm

I'm not sure I see any reason to keep wearing masks after the vaccine.

I have a lot of questions as to why we weren't making mask requirements back in March and April as soon as we were well aware that the virus was spreading in the United States. It's like, you go back and recall that we knew that this was a thing months before it was a thing, and really just kind of let it come spread. I get that we didn't know it was airborne, but can't the frigging take away be, that when there is a novel coronavirus, assume the **** is airborne and don't wait around for months telling people to wash their hands before mandating other precautions?

As to the original question about still wearing masks, this ties in to the fact that this thing was identified months before it had any impact to the US. We know when a virus is coming, if my chances of catching this thing are extremely low, I don't intend to wear a mask. But as soon as there are reports of a new virus, then the masks get brought back out. I do think that my biggest concern is whether something like this happening at this scale now, makes subsequent outbreaks of new viruses more likely.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:40 pm

I have a lot of questions as to why we weren't making mask requirements back in March .
It was quite the opposite...
Some of the messaging from public health officials was even more explicitly opposed, though. In late February, CDC director Robert Redfield testified before the House Foreign Affairs subcommittee and was asked if healthy people should wear masks. “No,” Redfield responded. The day after that, US surgeon general Jerome Adams tweeted “Seriously people—STOP BUYING MASKS.” Fauci himself, in early March, told a Senate committee that the general public didn’t need to wear them because Covid-19 wasn’t widespread enough.

The WHO was even more explicit in its advice: Tightly-fitted N95 masks, which filter out particles as small as 0.3 microns, are for health care workers dealing with sick patients, and they’re in critically short supply. Masks made of other materials—surgical masks made of a synthetic nonwoven, meltblown textile, layers of different kinds of cloth, and so on—can gap at the sides and don’t, on their own, fully protect people from getting infected. More quietly, public health experts worried that if people started wearing masks, they’d overestimate their level of protection and get careless. The science was blurry, but the message had to be clear: No masks for civilians.
https://www.wired.com/story/how-masks-w ... must-have/

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:41 pm

I have a lot of questions as to why we weren't making mask requirements back in March and April as soon as we were well aware that the virus was spreading in the United States.
I think it's pretty clear that the gov. was caught flat-footed and knew there wasn't enough PPE to go around to healthcare workers if citizens panicked and hoarded. So, they did was the government does best. Lied.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:43 pm

Asian countries don't seem to have an issue with it. I'm not sure why it would be a big deal for us to start adopting it.

At this point it feels like 2nd nature when I got into stores.
No offense, but this is crazy talk. You genuinely don't think it would be a big deal if masks and social distancing were made a permanent part of our culture? Human beings thrive on face to face interaction. Wearing a mask, while I understand is a short term necessity, is not natural.

And agree with Freddy, I don't know why we are suddenly holding Asian culture as a model to aspire to. I'm genuinely shocked that people would respond "who cares?" to the prospect of wearing a mask for the rest of their life.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:47 pm

And I say that acknowledging that permanent mask mandates are exceedingly unlikely. MR, would you be comfortable with the federal government making it so? Or state governors/mayors having the ability to do that?

If people want to wear masks forever of their own accord long after this is over, I think that's exceedingly fearful and I can't imagine having that mindset, but hey, knock yourself out.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:50 pm

The **** does that have to do with wearing a mask on a regular basis, Freddy?
That just because another culture in the world "doesn't have a problem" with something, that doesn't mean it is a good idea. It was a weird argument for implementing something here at home.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:58 pm

I definitely wouldn’t have a problem wearing one in the future if I don’t feel well and have to go out in public. Besides that, I would find it very difficult to see myself wearing one after the appropriate number of people in this country are vaccinated.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:03 pm

Yeah, that'd be dumb. Maybe if I was sick and at the airport or something, whatever...

But just walking down the street, no chance. Are you gonna tell if people are attractive or not...? Don't overthink it...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:26 pm

You genuinely don't think it would be a big deal if masks and social distancing were made a permanent part of our culture?
Not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

I dont want yinzers at Giant Eagle breathing down my neck during normal times. The 6 feet at checkout lines, for example is a god send. I can't even trust my coworkers to not come into work sick during normal times. If current policies such as permanent WFH and keeping distance when possible stick around, I'd be pretty OK with that.

I kinda like the whole "you respect my space, I'll respect yours" aspect of whats going on right now. I know people see a mask as an inconvenience but like... is it really?

Sure, I'd be fine not wearing a mask if I'm playing sports or doing something outdoors. But if I'm in a place where I know I'm going to have a ton of people breathing down my neck and not respecting personal space? I dont think it would be an automatic "no mask" for me.