Politics And Current Events

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:33 pm

Meh, read the Guardian article...not as much immediate death as I would have liked...pass...

Half Earth by halving the population and I'm on board...I don't care what side of that I'm on...here to help.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:42 pm

you sterile heathens. first your fancy birth control closes down toys r us and now this.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:43 pm

*toys were us

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:06 pm

The birth rate in underdeveloped countries is alarming. I often wonder if you will see regional epidemics/kill-offs in places like India.

Re: the "everyone lives in cities" idea...it will obviously never happen but holy hell that sounds terrible. I'm tremendously thankful that I won the luck lottery and don't live in a place like Mumbai or Shanghai. Even if you are in one of our larger metropolitan areas, you can nearly always drive a couple of hours to enjoy nature/solitude.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:14 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:19 pm

From the second floor of my house I can see SFO and a redwood forest; I'm pretty much equidistant from the Bay and the Pacific (just a couple miles in either direction). I can be in downtown SF in less than half an hour on public transportation, or be in wine country in 90 minutes.

It's a great place to live.... a year and a half in, I can comprehensively say it isn't for me, but that's a different discussion.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:35 pm

LONDON (AP) — The board of data mining firm Cambridge Analytica has suspended CEO Alexander Nix pending an investigation.
https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/976175162356793344
Last edited by eddy on Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:38 pm

An investigation by Channel 4 News has revealed how Cambridge Analytica claims it ran ‘all’ of President Trump’s digital campaign – and may have broken election law. As the report went on air, the firm announced it has suspended chief executive Alexander Nix, pending a full investigation.

part 2
Last edited by eddy on Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:40 pm

It's a great place to live.... a year and a half in, I can comprehensively say it isn't for me, but that's a different discussion.
Altoona beckons for its prodigal son.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:41 pm

Yes, they were scheduled to release more info on the story today (specifically related to Trump) and obviously have.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:45 pm

So other things:

Summer Zervos' defamation suit against Trump is going to discovery.
Karen McDougal is suing AMI to get out of her hush money contract. Sounds like the lawyer she was working with was working both sides, and Cohen was somehow involved.
Looks like that Stephanie Clifford lie test had something to do with Trump promising her a spot on the apprentice for sex.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:45 pm

.@HillaryClinton: "How did the Russians know how to target their messages so precisely?"

Last year the former presidential candidate questioned whether Cambridge Analytica were involved in Russia's alleged attempt to influence the U.S. election. #CambridgeAnalyticaUSA
https://mobile.twitter.com/Channel4News ... 9278855168

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:49 pm

.@HillaryClinton: "How did the Russians know how to target their messages so precisely?"

Last year the former presidential candidate questioned whether Cambridge Analytica were involved in Russia's alleged attempt to influence the U.S. election. #CambridgeAnalyticaUSA
I'm confused about a couple of things. Cambridge Analytica's Russia connections pre date Trump. CA didn't support Trump until Cruz was out. So I assume one has to conclude that Russia engaging Cambridge analytica in 2014 was separate right? I don't think you can use those connections as evidence that they were working with the Russian troll farms. Cooperation would have to be established after the Mercer operation joined the Trump campaign.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:53 pm

From the second floor of my house I can see SFO and a redwood forest; I'm pretty much equidistant from the Bay and the Pacific (just a couple miles in either direction). I can be in downtown SF in less than half an hour on public transportation, or be in wine country in 90 minutes.

when i was out there a couple months ago, i mentioned how awful i thought the people were. you asked why, but i was too busy to respond at the time. forgive the shafnutz type of rant, but...

the "why" is that i found people to be surprisingly pissy. also unjustifiably self-important. in a way only rivaled by new yorkers. but this more annoying since these people should know better. i can't imagine living there and feeling like part of something. even philly seems more welcoming.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:02 pm

i can't imagine living there and feeling like part of something.
We gave up a lot to move here, and it has not delivered. The shortcomings are almost all related to this quoted statement.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:05 pm

We gave up a lot to move here, and it has not delivered. The shortcomings are almost all related to this quoted statement.
are you both on the same page with that?

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:08 pm

I'm confused about a couple of things. Cambridge Analytica's Russia connections pre date Trump. CA didn't support Trump until Cruz was out. So I assume one has to conclude that Russia engaging Cambridge analytica in 2014 was separate right? I don't think you can use those connections as evidence that they were working with the Russian troll farms. Cooperation would have to be established after the Mercer operation joined the Trump campaign.
Both can be true.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:09 pm

it's really a shame that the city was handed everything it could ever want, culturally. and the residents have not done their part to make it a cool place to live.

...but i would still totally live there if i had enough money to do it right

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:09 pm

me and tif? yes. we are working through this in therapy sessions.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:13 pm

The campaign’s exhaustive use of Facebook triggered the site’s internal safeguards. “It was more like we blew through an alarm that their engineers hadn’t planned for or knew about,” said
“They’d sigh and say, ‘You can do this as long as you stop doing it on Nov. 7.’ ” (Facebook officials say warning bells go off when the site sees large amounts of unusual activity, but in each case the company was satisfied the campaign was not violating its privacy and data standards.)
Wagner’s team had a workable list of what it deemed to be the most persuadable voters — in total, roughly 15 million of them in the swing states. Messina ordered the campaign to direct a majority of its efforts toward winning them back, one by one if necessary. They could reach many through their Facebook friends and others through more conventional means like e-mail and knocking on doors.

https://goo.gl/vjgKSv

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:15 pm

The issue being how the Obama campaign got their data vs how CA got theirs.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Don’t do it...whatever the issue.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:17 pm

This is pretty useful.

http://billmoyers.com/story/trump-russia-timeline/

Kushner took over the digital media ops of the campaign in June 2016, and pretty much the first action after that was to officially hire CA. CA's first move after being hired by the Trump campaign was to reach out to WikiLeaks with an offer to help index the DNC emails.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:19 pm

The issue being how the Obama campaign got their data vs how CA got theirs.
Looks like they got it by FB just saying, meh...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:23 pm

Sort of but not really. We have many of the same gripes, but it hasn't run her down the way it has me.