Politics And Current Events

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:02 pm

As much as guns are the problem, in what world are these kids learning to confront social issues with extreme violence? Why is that ok? Oh my girlfriend broke up with me, somewhere I learned it's OK To go on a rampage.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:02 pm

The story is, is that his girlfriend broke up with him and it caused this.
Victim blaming.

Shame.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:03 pm

As much as guns are the problem, in what world are these kids learning to confront social issues with extreme violence? Why is that ok? Oh my girlfriend broke up with me, somewhere I learned it's OK To go on a rampage.
Agreed that there is a culture problem. But I don't believe the culture problem is completely separated from the access to weapons problem.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Agreed that there is a culture problem. But I don't believe the culture problem is completely separated from the access to weapons problem.
I don't either. There's obvious correlation - but I would like to see people not out-right ignoring these problems, either. What are we teaching kids, or where are they learning that it's totally acceptable to act this way over a girl in highschool?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:07 pm

Let's go back to the days where a girl broke up with you and you listened to Dashboard Confessional for 2-3 weeks and moved on. I can't even put myself in that level of rage that I'd want to commit a murder over it.

I bet it's social media's fault and the sense that everyone lives some kind of dream life.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:13 pm

Actually yea, I'd like social media to be scrutinized a hell of a lot more now than it is - if people are going to trot out the tired video games thing - I want social media regulated.

No way can anyone really grow up "normal" or adjusted in a world where you have people competing against each other as aggressive as they are, and you've got major clowns doing "pranks" that are borderline, well mostly criminal.

We had Jackass growing up, but I feel like stuff like that started it all, and with YouTube, it all blew up.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:14 pm

[STORY]: Seven children injured after stray dog gets inside south Charlotte elementary school
https://twitter.com/WBTV_News/status/976127679492775936

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Twitter link doesn't go anywhere. Fake News pushing the anti-canine agenda?

Ah: https://twitter.com/WBTV_News/status/976125307131490306

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:21 pm

Let's go back to the days where a girl broke up with you and you listened to Dashboard Confessional for 2-3 weeks and moved on.
:lol: :fist:

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:23 pm

My wife has been watching some Netflix murder documentary about that very subject. Teens breaking up, and then using social media to bully and slander before they actually do kill their ex.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Pitt did a study where things correlate to negative mental health and social media within Teens:

https://www.psycom.net/social-media-teen-mental-health
Those who had spent more time on social media had 2.2 times the risk of reporting eating and body image concerns, compared to their peers who spent less time on social media. The participants who spent the most time on social media had 2.6 times the risk.1
The Downside Social Media Use by Teens
Read enough of the current research and you’ll find that the negatives tend to feel bigger than the positives. While teens can use social media to connect and create friendships with others, they also confront cyberbullying, trolls, toxic comparisons, sleep deprivation, and less frequent face-to-face interactions, to name a few.

Too much time spent scrolling through social media can result in symptoms of anxiety and/or depression. Here’s how social media can be destructive:

Focusing on likes: The need to gain “likes” on social media can cause teens to make choices they would otherwise not make, including altering their appearance, engaging in negative behaviors, and accepting risky social media challenges.

Cyberbullying: Teens girls in particular are at risk of cyberbullying through use of social media, but teen boys are not immune. Cyberbullying is associated with depression, anxiety, and an elevated risk of suicidal thoughts.

Making comparisons: Though many teens know that their peers share only their highlight reels on social media, it’s very difficult to avoid making comparisons. Everything from physical appearance to life circumstances to perceived successes and failures are under a microscope on social media.

Having too many fake friends: Even with privacy settings in place, teens can collect thousands of friends through friends of friends on social media. The more people on the friend list, the more people have access to screenshot photos, Snaps, and updates and use them for other purposes. There is no privacy on social media.

Less face time: Social interaction skills require daily practice, even for teens. It’s difficult to build empathy and compassion (our best weapons in the war on bullying) when teens spend more time “engaging” online than they do in person. Human connection is a powerful tool and builds skills that last a lifetime.
I think more and more the reason why bullying has become a major problem is that without social media, it could be shut-off. Sure it sucked from 9-5 in school, but at 5, it was all over and time healed it.

Now with social media, you have extreme bullying 24/7 at all times. That's gotta be excruciating.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Let's go back to the days where a girl broke up with you and you listened to Dashboard Confessional for 2-3 weeks and moved on. I can't even put myself in that level of rage that I'd want to commit a murder over it.

I bet it's social media's fault and the sense that everyone lives some kind of dream life.
Or you called your 21 year old relative to buy you a $12 half gallon of Vladdy and you and 15 of your friends go have a rager in the woods.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:35 pm

Maybe Facebook and platforms like it should only be for 18+.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Good luck verifying age.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Or you called your 21 year old relative to buy you a $12 half gallon of Vladdy and you and 15 of your friends go have a rager in the woods.
If I had 15 friends, I wouldn't want to put two in anyone's chest probably...

Plus, that's too many people to share a bottle of booze with...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:38 pm

Facebook had a "you can't sign up until you're 18" rule, and everyone just went around it. I've often wondered that there would be a time with future children where I'm going to have to be the bad guy and restrict this stuff.

Its great information is out there - but kids need structure and I feel like to be a better parent, I'd have to be more strict on who and what they do from a social perspective. I've seen a cousin of mine on Facebook as early as like 10-12 - to me, that's entirely too young, and get no sense of real life as they've been buried in technology since they were born. I do believe that's a legitimate issue that needs handled.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:38 pm

Good luck verifying age.
Make registration require SS numbers or drivers license.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:40 pm

Good luck verifying age.
So lets give the information gobblers even more private information?

Yikes.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:41 pm

Good luck verifying age.
So lets give the information gobblers even more private information?

Yikes.

Have you ever entered that info on any website before?
Besides I don’t think they can sell that info.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:43 pm

How in the world is cyberbullying on Facebook a thing? Your information is right there, on public record. Shouldn't there be laws against this?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:48 pm

Also if you block kids from social media, they'll just use texting, calls, etc. to bully. Social media at least gets the bullying into the public eye and may help limit the severity.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:52 pm

My oldest turns 12 this summer and she already knows that she will be getting a "dumb phone" and will not have access to social media until she proves herself capable of handling it, which probably means 18.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:58 pm

Yea I think a kid doesn't need a smartphone until atleast 16.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:59 pm

These people giving a pre-teen a smartphone are dumb as hell.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:00 pm

How in the world is cyberbullying on Facebook a thing? Your information is right there, on public record. Shouldn't there be laws against this?
Lots of people create fake accounts?