Politics And Current Events

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:35 pm

Here's a political cartoon from Arizona on their senate race.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dannowicki/s ... 5357065216

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 pm

Wow. It takes a special amount of insulation and editorial bias to put this out there. Sinema has been trashing Arizona and its citizens for years and years. It's incredible she is the Democratic nominee.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:13 pm

It takes a grade A dimwit to do something like that in a state who's until recently other senator actually went through something like this.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:26 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... emala.html

This is about to become a big problem. I can't say I blame Trump for pushing a hard line with Mexico... I think everyone here has compassion for refugees but you cannot have a nonstop flood of humanity coming across the border.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:31 pm

They were waving Honduran flags and singing their national anthem. This isn't your garden variety acceptance of refugees in need, it is an invasion and abuse of their eventual host country imo.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:00 pm

They were waving Honduran flags and singing their national anthem. This isn't your garden variety acceptance of refugees in need, it is an invasion and abuse of their eventual host country imo.
Why are they leaving their country?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:13 pm

Because all of these leftist klepto governments in Central America make McKeesport look like Beverly Hills.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Wow. It takes a special amount of insulation and editorial bias to put this out there. Sinema has been trashing Arizona and its citizens for years and years. It's incredible she is the Democratic nominee.
It is also worth remembering that Gabby Giffords used to represent her district.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:18 am

Modern-Day Witches Plan Ritual To Hex Brett Kavanaugh
the ritual is meant to be cathartic for victims of sexual assault. Kavanaugh will apparently be a focal point for the hex, but not the only target. The public hex is meant to exact revenge on “all rapists and the patriarchy at large which emboldens, rewards and protects them,”
The exact spells spoken during the ritual will be determined by the needs of the group that assembles for the hex, Bracciale said, explaining that some people may want to add words that place a hex on their rapists or abusive partners.

About 1,000 people say they have plans to attend the sold-out event, which only has a capacity for 60.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wi ... 59feff?arq

Catholic Exorcist Prays For Brett Kavanaugh In Response To Witches’ Planned Hex
An official Roman Catholic exorcist is offering prayers for Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh this week, after hearing that witches would be gathering in New York City on Saturday to place a hex on the newest member of the nation’s top court and others.
For Thomas, the news that dozens of witches would assemble at an occult bookstore in Brooklyn to target Kavanaugh is no joke. The priest said he’s witnessed people who weren’t in a “state of grace” experience real physical and spiritual harm as a result of curses.

Thomas told the National Catholic Register that he and his colleagues are “appalled” by the planned hex on Kavanaugh, a fellow Catholic.

“The decision to do this against a Supreme Court justice is a heinous act and says a lot about the character of these people that should not be underestimated or dismissed,” Thomas told the news outlet. “These are real evil people.”
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ca ... bc94803fde

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:30 am

Like when all those Cuban refugees invaded America?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:57 am

Or those Italian flags in little Italy.

That’s not to say throw open the gates, but there’s plenty of people that love being from a culture but also want to live and have the opportunities that America provides.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:18 am

Folks are aware that lots of Cuban and Italian immigrants were turned away either at the coast or at Ellis Island right and we didn't just let everyone in?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:19 am

I mean my great-great-grandfather was turned away at Ellis Island because he could not provide any identification and then had to get back on a boat and go back to Germany and then he emigrated into Canada.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:02 am

CIA officials have listened to an audio recording that Turkish officials say proves the journalist was killed and dismembered by a team of Saudi agents inside the consulate, according to people familiar with the matter. If verified, the recording would make it difficult for the White House to accept the Saudi version that Khashoggi’s death was effectively an accident. A CIA spokeswoman declined to comment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... ssion=true

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:17 am

Folks are aware that lots of Cuban and Italian immigrants were turned away either at the coast or at Ellis Island right and we didn't just let everyone in?
Most of these caravan members seeking refugee status would be turned away at the border, regardless of who was running the show in this country.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:54 pm

I mean my great-great-grandfather was turned away at Ellis Island because he could not provide any identification and then had to get back on a boat and go back to Germany and then he emigrated into Canada.
And yet here you are in the good ole US and A today.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Surely you all think there has to be an upper limit to the amount of refugees we take in, right? Like, it would be wonderful if we could accept absolutely everyone, but that sort of philosophy would inevitably worsen cultural/economic issues. I just wonder how many of you actually think we should essentially create a conveyor belt from Central America to the Rio Grande.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:28 pm

Just checked the mail. 3 mailbox sized flyers for 3 politicians. No sooner than the time it took me to throw them in the trash I get an automated text asking me to respond with 1 if I'm voting for Joe Manchin, 2 for Morresey, or 3 for neither. Make it stop

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Surely you all think there has to be an upper limit to the amount of refugees we take in, right? Like, it would be wonderful if we could accept absolutely everyone, but that sort of philosophy would inevitably worsen cultural/economic issues. I just wonder how many of you actually think we should essentially create a conveyor belt from Central America to the Rio Grande.
No, by no means should it be a conveyor belt of immigrants.

And although I usually start the “Trump is a **** idiot” convo frequently, and right now I don’t want to go to it, but I’m going to the “Trump is a **** idiot” angle again despite my urges against it.

While many people think it’s okie dokie to have our state department shrink significantly, but the same get pissed when4000 migrants from Honduras appear on our doorstep, not having US officials in these countries are going to make this sort of thing happen more often now. Because I’m pretty sure we don’t even have an ambassador to Honduras at this point. And while the state dept isn’t a catch all and in some circumstances may worsen what happens in foreign countries, gutting out state dept and not having a good line of communication with these countries doesn’t help

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 pm

He spent about 25 years in Canada, and married a local Toronto lady, had a couple of kids, then applied for immigration through Windsor. My great-grandfather was the first one born here, in Colorado of all places.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:56 pm

He spent about 25 years in Canada, and married a local Toronto lady, had a couple of kids, then applied for immigration through Windsor. My great-grandfather was the first one born here, in Colorado of all places.
I actually have a somewhat similar origin story. The first Irish immigrants in my family to come over from Donegal had a 10-year layover outside Montreal before coming south and settling in the Gallitzin area.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:03 pm

The problem is that the current knuckleheads in power think that 'upper limit' should effectively be zero. And the mechanisms they are advocating to effectuate that policy are quite frankly not humane.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Tif pretending that if only the administration handled it a little differently he'd be fine with it. Adorable. Almost had us fooled.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:49 pm

The problem is that the current knuckleheads in power think that 'upper limit' should effectively be zero. And the mechanisms they are advocating to effectuate that policy are quite frankly not humane.

Separating them? I wonder what the 5-10% of children that were saved from sex trafficking/coyotes/parents with violent records are thinking.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:00 pm

This administration continually vilifies and demonizes these people, choosing rhetoric of division and hate over the logical and reasonable arguments that could be effectively made against unlimited immigration.

And as Trip's State Dept. point kind of touched on, our influence in the politics of these countries is largely to blame...