Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:02 pm

A lot of sensible people with no understanding of guns, etc.
There was recently a newspaper reporter up in NorCal who was tasked with creating a 'ghost gun'. The whole idea of the exercise was to illustrate how easy it was to build a Polymer80 pistol presumably within the confines of what is legal in CA. In the process, he actually broke around a dozen laws, in several instances recording himself (and a friend) on video doing so. The idea was to illustrate the need for further restrictions, and all he really did was show how incredibly hard (and pointless, in CA) it is to even undertake the process within the confines of existing law.

The paper ultimately replaced the original story with an editorial that basically just says, "It's easy to get a gun (illegally)."

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:03 pm

The whole idea of what a gun should be used for has been defined by people who are in no sense able to make those distinctions. So now, our only buffer between what we consider normal life and a walking dead type hellscape, are that enough people aren't full internet brain delusional
I'm somewhat reluctant to commit this 'to the record' (as it were), but.................. do you actually believe this is going to happen?
I believe there's a network effect here. I believe that folks are fully committed to a sort of universal concealed carry world and the court's ruling in NYC has stripped localities from their ability to limit that from the top. My post is saying that the trend is to stop regulating bodies from preventing this scenario, so the only thing stopping that is that people are choosing not to do that. Do you not envision a scenario where more people start choosing the opposite and where that eventually lands?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:04 pm

I was reading some bizarre takes on Twitter last night about how all of these corporations that are paying for their employees to travel for abortions are only doing so to get out of higher insurance premiums for maternal care, family insurance costs, and loss of production while new parents are on maternity/paternity leave.

Imagine living one's life thinking like that. Ugh.
That's not accurate at all. For example, look at the roster of companies signing up for this. Only the wokest of the Woke Brigade need apply. :scared:

But if that were true, they would've been offer to underwrite those expenses before widespread bans went into effect. The bans didn't suddenly make having a child more expensive than it was six months ago.
I saw Dicks is offering to cover the expenses for women seeking an abortion; not sure if I’d consider them woke. Though maybe I’m still harboring a lot of resentment against them because they’re a terrible business

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:08 pm

Do you not envision a scenario where more people start choosing the opposite and where that eventually lands?
No I do not, and I said so the day of the SCOTUS ruling.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:08 pm

Dicks doing the right thing, huh.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:10 pm

No one is "comparing guns with anything else", it's a contextualized, micro-concept that's being discussed...
This is gibberish
No it isn't.

You said arguing in support of something potentially dangerous that you like and can handle responsibly is invalid.

Others are telling you it's valid and citing similar examples.
You mean if I argued that I can drive drunk responsibly and the laws against drunk driving are unnecessary, that's valid?
No. This would be analogous to wearing a blindfold and shooting your legally owned gun out into space...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:13 pm

Hm.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:16 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:20 pm

I was reading some bizarre takes on Twitter last night about how all of these corporations that are paying for their employees to travel for abortions are only doing so to get out of higher insurance premiums for maternal care, family insurance costs, and loss of production while new parents are on maternity/paternity leave.

Imagine living one's life thinking like that. Ugh.
That's not accurate at all. For example, look at the roster of companies signing up for this. Only the wokest of the Woke Brigade need apply. :scared:

But if that were true, they would've been offer to underwrite those expenses before widespread bans went into effect. The bans didn't suddenly make having a child more expensive than it was six months ago.
I saw Dicks is offering to cover the expenses for women seeking an abortion; not sure if I’d consider them woke. Though maybe I’m still harboring a lot of resentment against them because they’re a terrible business
It's satire, meant to call BS on the notion that companies are only doing this to lower insurance costs.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:36 pm

Scotland and Texas should form a country together

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:38 pm

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:49 pm

What's Scotland's deal...? Does this matter at all...?

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:53 pm

Great job Supreme Court. state of Ohio.
fify :thumb:

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:54 pm

Scotland has oil and gas. Also, less morons.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:04 pm

In the backstage area of Trump’s rally held on Jan. 6, Hutchinson overheard Trump tell staff that he didn’t care whether people had weapons, to let them into the rally area because “they’re not here to hurt me.”

Hutchinson said Trump was upset at the size of his rally crowd and was primarily angry that staff wasn’t letting through his supporters that were carrying weapons.
This committee better make some type of referral. I don't want to be reading this and nothing come of it.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:07 pm

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:25 pm

In the car after the speech: The president was under the impression that he would be taken to the Capitol following his rally speech, Hutchinson said.

When he learned there were no security assets and Trump would have to return to the White House, Trump grew "irate" and attempted to grab the steering wheel of the car, she testified. Hutchinson was not in the car, but heard it from others with no one correcting the record, she said.

" 'I am the effing president, take me up to the Capitol now,' " Hutchinson testified that the president said.

Trump talked about walking to the Capitol, where he might give a speech or enter the House chamber. And when staff stopped those plans, Trump attempted to grab the steering wheel of the presidential limousine to drive there, she said.
lol respect muh authority

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:27 pm

Let's give that guy another shot, I think he will learn from any mistakes he made. Should be real good for the country.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:29 pm

Let's give that guy another shot, I think he will learn from any mistakes he made. Should be real good for the country.
Easy now, Susan Collins.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:30 pm

What's Scotland's deal...? Does this matter at all...?
something something the English can take their lives but never take their freedom

I remember Scotland threatened to breakaway if Brexit happened. I don’t know if this is related to that since Brexit was such an absolute **** but I do appreciate the idea of an independent Scotland if nothing more than for the memes

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:43 pm

It was good for my 401k…

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:49 pm

mmm, quid pro quo

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:57 pm

In the backstage area of Trump’s rally held on Jan. 6, Hutchinson overheard Trump tell staff that he didn’t care whether people had weapons, to let them into the rally area because “they’re not here to hurt me.”

Hutchinson said Trump was upset at the size of his rally crowd and was primarily angry that staff wasn’t letting through his supporters that were carrying weapons.
This committee better make some type of referral. I don't want to be reading this and nothing come of it.
Starting to really believe he is toast as a political candidate. There are enough GOP folks coming out to these hearings to really make Trump look like a derange psycho.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:59 pm

Desantis will be the GOP nominee betting favorite after Today's hearing, if I had to guess.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:02 pm

Starting to really believe he is toast as a political candidate. There are enough GOP folks coming out to these hearings to really make Trump look like a derange psycho.
I'm less certain. No Trumpers are watching the hearings, and whatever snippets they hear via social media, the news, etc. they write off as a witch hunt.