Politics And Current Events

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:38 am

Disgraceful is what Kavanugh is alleged to have done.

Democrats, not knowing how to handle such an old allegation, is not disgraceful. It's perplexing, but I still don't know the right thing to do here.

I'd say it's on the Trump WH to do the right think and pull the nomination. But of course Trump is behind closed doors fuming about how old allegations can ruin people.
Oh **** off. The democrats knew exactly what they were doing. To say or think otherwise is being intellectually dishonest.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:39 am

Is it more disgraceful than the act itself?
Attempted rape is beyond disgraceful and if true he should be properly reprimanded.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:39 am

"They should just nominate someone else. We'll be totally cool with the next choice, we swear."

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:41 am

Democrats, not knowing how to handle such an old allegation, is not disgraceful. It's perplexing, but I still don't know the right thing to do here.

I'd say it's on the Trump WH to do the right think and pull the nomination. But of course Trump is behind closed doors fuming about how old allegations can ruin people.
Oh **** off. The democrats knew exactly what they were doing. To say or think otherwise is being intellectually dishonest.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... n-congress

Did you even read the account of what happened here?

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:41 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:42 am

"They should just nominate someone else. We'll be totally cool with the next choice, we swear."
Democrats are going to oppose every nomination on principle here.

So, it's Trump picking someone that is potentially unpalatable for 2 GOP senators.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:46 am

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... n-congress

Did you even read the account of what happened here?
Yep. But I’m smart enough to know that a political party has ulterior motives behind what they were doing, and that they lie constantly.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:50 am

Yep. But I’m smart enough to know.
Great point, you are so good at this.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:57 am

It wouldn’t have been difficult to tell people about the accusation while still protecting her anonymity early in his nomination.

“Hey guys, we received an unverified claim of sexual assault against Kavanaugh. Something you might want to consider before going thru with this.”

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:59 am

One of the most hilarious responses to this whole poopshow is Sen. Menendez (D-NJ) making wild claims in regards to Kavanaugh, when in fact Menendez, with far more actual proof, was accused of hiring underage hookers in the past 5 years.

Either accusations matter to all politicians or they don't.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:59 am

So, it's Trump picking someone that is potentially unpalatable for 2 GOP senators.

You're right. Just on principle. Those darned principled democrats sticking to their principles and just standing up for whats right with zero political motive behind it whatsoever. It's not their fault Trump can't pick someone as virtuous and principled as the principled democrats.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:02 pm

You're right. Just on principle. Those darned principled democrats sticking to their principles and just standing up for whats right with zero political motive behind it whatsoever. It's not their fault Trump can't pick someone as virtuous and principled as the principled democrats.
It has nothing to do with Trump's pick, and everything to do with Mitch's handling of the Garland nomination...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:04 pm

The principle being to oppose everything the opposing party is doing.

The only people that the Dems are trying to persuade here is the voters. And last I checked, support for Kavanaugh is in the Robert Bork territory. This is mostly based on disapproval of Trump. But that's how this system works.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:05 pm

It has nothing to do with Trump's pick, and everything to do with Mitch's handling of the Garland nomination...
One of the things that makes me giggle about Merrick Garland is he is awful on 4th Amendment issues. To the "right" of most of the GOP people on the court.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:07 pm

One of the things that makes me giggle about Merrick Garland is he is awful on 4th Amendment issues. To the "right" of most of the GOP people on the court.
And this shows some of the flaws in Obama's approach to governing.

He was like, The GOP isn't willing to compromise and negotiate in good faith with me. So I'll just make decision that I believe is a compromise. Garland and the ACA are the best examples of this.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:32 pm

“I am willing to talk to the Senate Judiciary Committee in any way the Committee deems appropriate to refute this false allegation, from 36 years ago, and defend my integrity,” Kavanaugh said
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1041726022155227136

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Grassley says Feinstein's office is refusing to cooperate in setting up follow-up calls with Dr. Ford and Kavanaugh. "As a necessary step in evaluating these claims, I’ll continue working to set them up."
https://twitter.com/esaagar/status/1041725321123385344

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:10 pm

The democrats really **** themselves. If he withdraws the court will swing hard right with the next one. They realize they have until January to confirm a justice, don’t they? They’ll really fast track the next one.
The new SCOTUS session starts in October.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:17 pm

The democrats really **** themselves. If he withdraws the court will swing hard right with the next one. They realize they have until January to confirm a justice, don’t they? They’ll really fast track the next one.
The new SCOTUS session starts in October.
Cool? I don’t believe a nomination expires until a new congressional session, which isn’t until after the new year.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:34 pm

Just saying, the start of the October session was part of what was driving the rush to get Kavanaugh confirmed so quickly.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:43 pm

Kavanaugh hasn't been all that "quick" in comparison to others. There is a meme going around that this was "rushed", but it falls into a fairly normal timeline.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2018/07/past- ... timelines/

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:46 pm

Kavanaugh was on Romney's list. He has a perfect rating from the ABA.

We are talking about attempted rape here. Not high school philandering anymore.

Really think anyone with a conscience would think that crime is not important to bring up?

Kavanaugh is far more Roberts than Alito and is moderatr on abortion.

The Amy Barrett lady is faaaaaar more an abortion radical than Kavanaugh and she'll be up next.
But do you bring it up against the wishes of the woman who alleges it happened? I’m not sure what the right answer is to that.
The lady has already said she'd testify today if needed.

Also, Kavanaugh has lawyered up.
I know that, but people are saying it should have come out sooner, and Democrats should have brought it out sooner.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:49 pm

Things That No One is Saying, for $500, Alex.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:50 pm

#Politics
NEW: @WeDemandJustice, leading anti-Kavanaugh group on the left is planning a $700,000 TV/digital ad buy focused on the Blasey Ford allegations in AK/ME and for the first time since Kennedy's retirement is adding NV and CO to pressure Heller/Gardner
https://twitter.com/JTHVerhovek/status/ ... 3981456384

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:51 pm

It wouldn’t have been difficult to tell people about the accusation while still protecting her anonymity early in his nomination.

“Hey guys, we received an unverified claim of sexual assault against Kavanaugh. Something you might want to consider before going thru with this.”
If you're smart enough to know what the Dems are doing, you're also smart enough to know exactly how that would play with the R's. Unsubstantiated claim brought up this late would not go well.