Politics And Current Events

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:06 pm

Coastie 'reassigned' after making okay sign on tv.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hburgamerica ... 0655794176

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:09 pm

Coastie 'reassigned' after making okay sign on tv.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hburgamerica ... 0655794176
Honestly, it was unprofessional behavior (doing stuff behind his commanding officer like that while he was on TV). The white power stuff is a total crock of sht but he made a bad decision.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Yeah, I'm not buying that he was flashing "white power" but the dude knew he was doing something sketchy and couldn't have been more obvious.
Last edited by AuthorTony on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:14 pm

Kavanaugh classmate who the letter says was present during the event strongly denies event ever happened. Kavanaugh classmate named in letter is Mark Judge, a writer in Washington, DC.
https://mobile.twitter.com/McCormackJoh ... 5495200768
I don't like how this is unfolding, but this is hardly noteworthy. You'd not expect a tweet that read, "Kavanaugh classmate who the letter says was present during the event says, 'Yup, I'm an accessory to sexual assault.'"

I'm a little more sanguine about the motivations of the person reporting the incident now than I was when this first came out, but I'm still not comfortable with how Feinstein has handled things. "The victim wants privacy, and I'm going to respect that... by turning her letter over to the FBI, and possibly subjecting her to the very same public scrutiny she was hoping to avoid. And to my fellow committee members..... *fartnoise*"

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:24 pm

What about any of this would make you optimistic about the truth of this?

Sexual predators don't act once.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:32 pm

Not sure of the nature of the question. 'Sexual predator' is not someone who got carried away one night in high school. But if this is something that was habitual of Kavanaugh, then there are certainly other women out there with something to say. That no one else is coming forward is not proof of absence (which really cannot be proven, anyway), but merely absence of proof.

Ultimately, there is simply not enough information in the public domain to make a decision one way or the other, and there never will be unless and until the accuser comes forward. That's what makes me uncomfortable about this. I'm not really sure what the accuser was trying to accomplish by writing to her Congressperson here. I mean, I get why she waited til July; that's when Kavanaugh became a name in the national news. What I don't get is the way she's done it. Nor the way Feinstein has handled it on her end. It's just.... goofy.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:39 pm

As I said before, this seems like plain old character assassination. It's ugly and it's the way things are now.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:40 pm

...now?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:46 pm

I completely forgot about this part of Chapelle's stand-up skit...

N-word warning:

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:49 pm

The real question, and this gets to a bit of the Norm MacDonald thing, is are to operate under the assumption Kavanaugh is more than likely a person who committed an act of sexual violence based on a singluar ubsubstantiated claim that no one outside of Feinstein seems to want to touch?

Kavanaugh is from D.C., has been in D.C. his whole career, and this is not his first major confirmation, but all of a sudden now this comes out?

But as I noted on the previous page what Feinstein wanted out of this she has received. Kavanaugh will forever be tainted as "just like Clarence Thomas".

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Kavanaugh is from D.C., has been in D.C. his whole career, and this is not his first major confirmation, but all of a sudden now this comes out?
I don't get why this a thing. The woman has lived in CA for who knows how long, and Kavanaugh's previous confirmations were hardly the stuff of national news. At least not like at SCOTUS nomination. Kavanaugh was nominated July 2, and apparently within a couple weeks the accuser had written her Congressperson. There's no temporal skullduggery in that.

There are probably 320+ million people in this country who had never heard of Kavanaugh before this summer. It's not a stretch to think this is the first time she's seen his name in the press or on TV in 30 years.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:27 pm

Wasted: Tales of a Gen X Drunk

lol

That might explain why they don't remember that night.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:25 am

Two of the words in this sentence are incompatible with one another: They are “alleged” and “survivor.” We say “alleged” in order to acknowledge that we do not know if a given accusation is true. To subsequently use a word that can only be applied when we know that accusation is true — in this case, “survivor” — is to flatly undermine that acknowledgment.
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/s ... ssion=true

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:31 am

This is good:
It is fascinating how similar the “believe accusers!” people sound to the most reactionary “law and order” types in our society. How often have we heard some Joe Arpaio sort insist that, by insisting on robust due process and a broad presumption of innocence, the ACLU is “soft on crime,” or “insulting the victims,” or “hugging criminals.” How frequently have we watched the hang-’em-and-flog-’em brigade describe crucial parts of the justice system as “technicalities,” or instantly transmute “accused” into “guilty.” How often is appropriate skepticism treated as “denial.”

How far from this approach are Dick Durbin and co.? The answer is: Not far at all. How odd it has been to see these instincts take root in the Democratic party, replete with the same shoddy thinking, and an identical dose of obfuscatory righteous indignation. How disastrous it will be if they flower into our culture as a whole.
Regarding his last sentence, that ship sailed.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:08 am

eddy

Postby eddy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:32 am

To go along with that Breitbart article...

Manafort docs reveal he got Ben Shapiro to write propaganda for Breitbart in 2012 to help his Putin-linked interests in Ukraine. Ha. Ah ha ha ha. Ah hahahahahahahaha. https://t.co/XU28JGa4JJ

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:48 am

Wait... people thought Shapiro was a respected journalist and political writer? I thought it was known he was a right wing political propagandist.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:50 am

Some do... yes.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Per Washington Post, Brett Kavanaugh's accuser is speaking out about her allegation of sexual assault by him. Her name is Christine Blasey Ford and she is a clinical psychology professor in California.
https://mobile.twitter.com/KFILE/status ... 2027756545

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:50 pm

More

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:06 pm

Hm.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:00 pm

It's not a good look to instantly pivot from "these allegations are anonymous so who cares" to "it's just a he said/she said now." A public accusation is a far more severe manner just as a matter of course.
https://mobile.twitter.com/neontaster/s ... 0410805248

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Also,
Legit or not, this allegation was sat on to maximize the chances that it would be too late to confirm a different justice before the midterms. Our political process is entirely unscrupulous at this point, and everyone's culpable and it's depressing.
https://mobile.twitter.com/neontaster/s ... 0372576261

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:07 pm

Yeah, good that the accuser came forward. This still isn't anything substantial. A whole lot of inferences need to be made for it to amount to anything, and there is zero evidence at all.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:28 pm

Grassley statement: "The committee vote on Judge Kavanaugh's nomination will proceed as scheduled, next Thurs. Here’s what we know: Judge Kavanaugh has undergone six FBI full-field investigations from 1993 to 2018. No such allegation resembling the anonymous claims ever surfaced"
https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeConchaTV/ ... 7463037953