Politics And Current Events

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:34 pm

You should first ask if anyone read it.
Bingo.
That the posters here haven't heard of that brief is part of the story. If any part of the Trump administration had filed that brief with the Supreme Court, I'm quite confident that the media would have widely reported it as a vicious attack by Trump on the legitimacy of the judiciary.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:39 pm

... ok? And?

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:42 pm

Bingo.
That the posters here haven't heard of that brief is part of the story. If any part of the Trump administration had filed that brief with the Supreme Court, I'm quite confident that the media would have widely reported it as a vicious attack by Trump on the legitimacy of the judiciary.
If you attach Trump's name to anything negative, people will bash it. A guy was filming students, reading off quotes that he said were Trumps. They were flipping out bashing Trump, and then he showed a clip of Obama saying the quotes as they were his, and there was backpedaling.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:56 pm

The people of Iowa must be proud...
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/politics ... index.html
Steve King questions if there would be any population left if not for rape and incest

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:56 pm

:lol:
A @BernieSanders supporter has filed an unfair labor practice charge against @ewarren's campaign after our story detailing her unpaid fellowship program was published, Bloomberg Law reports:
https://t.co/t7qkCTvcb6

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:00 pm

If you attach Trump's name to anything negative, people will bash it. A guy was filming students, reading off quotes that he said were Trumps. They were flipping out bashing Trump, and then he showed a clip of Obama saying the quotes as they were his, and there was backpedaling.

Yes. It's demonstrative of a double standard present in a lot of the media.

Not only is the brief an attack on the Court, it also spends a lot of space attacking the notion of public-interest litigation. For example, the brief says:
The Court and the country have witnessed an accompanying explosion of strategic “faux” litigation—cases fabricated to bring issues before the Court when litigants presume it will give them policy victories. For example, we have seen flocks of “freedom-based public interest law” organizations that exist only to change public policy through litigation, and which often do not disclose their funders. We have seen behavioral signals, like litigants who rush to lose cases in lower courts “as quickly as practicable and without argument, so that [they] can expeditiously take their claims to the Supreme Court” (ordinarily, in litigation, litigants seek to win).

That is a frankly shocking attack on pro-civil-rights litigation. Many of the cases that Senator Whitehouse (who likely wrote most of the brief himself) likely holds holds sacrosanct resulted from the "strategic" litigation that the Senator is attacking. For cyin' out loud, look up the history of the decades-long litigation campaign conducted by the NAACP that eventually resulted in Brown v. Board of Education, or the litigation campaign conducted by pro-LBGT interest groups like GLBTQ Legal Advocates & Defenders and Lambda Legal that eventually resulted in Lawrence v. Texas and Obergefell v. Hodges.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Well, you could be outraged or you could pull your trap shooting glasses off.
The state changed the law so that everything the plaintiffs wanted they got. Now they're going to SCOTUS to decide if a law that isn't on the books anymore is Constitutional. At least that's what I can interpret after 5 minutes of research.

Also, the Dems involved filed this as a brief, as opposed to disseminating it from a podium at a rally, a Twitter rant, or say that they can't get a fair shake because of the judge's ethnicity.

I mean, the part about the court being broken and the threat is pretty effin petty, but then again Gillebrand needed something to push her name back out there.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:46 pm

Well, you could be outraged or you could pull your trap shooting glasses off.
The state changed the law so that everything the plaintiffs wanted they got. Now they're going to SCOTUS to decide if a law that isn't on the books anymore is Constitutional. At least that's what I can interpret after 5 minutes of research.

Also, the Dems involved filed this as a brief, as opposed to disseminating it from a podium at a rally, a Twitter rant, or say that they can't get a fair shake because of the judge's ethnicity.

I mean, the part about the court being broken and the threat is pretty effin petty, but then again Gillebrand needed something to push her name back out there.
Respectfully, I do not believe you understand understand just how out of bounds this brief is. This brief is the equivalent of walking up to the bench, yelling "Eff you!" to the judge, and literally rubbing your raised middle finger on the judge’s face. You. Do. Not. Attack. The. Court. If I filed a brief like this with any court, I would fully expect to be sanctioned, and I would say it’s borderline professional misconduct under Rule 3.5 of the Rules of Professional Conduct (“Impartiality & Decorum of the Tribunal”).

In terms of the merits, more than 70 years ago, the Supreme Court held that the voluntary cessation of illegal conduct would moot a case only if the defendant established that “there is no reasonable expectation that the wrong will be repeated.” While New York might have taken the law off the books, there's nothing that would prevent the city or state from putting the exact same law back in place after the suit is dismissed. Senator Whitehouse et al. could have used their amicus brief to argue that the case should be considered moot anyway, but instead they chose to file a polemic against the Court.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:57 pm

Although, I did read the first sentence and thought to myself "Whoa... is Shyster posting his disgruntlement with the Trump administration? That seems odd..." and then went on with my day.
Haha I had the same exact address thought.

Guess we whaa wrong c2i!!!!

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:38 pm

and kavanagh evoking a clinton conspiracy theory at his hearing are pretty good indicators of some of the meta
qualities of the SCOTUS
Yes that was the issue with that hearing. Not the fake witnesses, or zero evidence, or painting the guy as a gang rapist. The huge conspiracy theory of the mere mention that people may have been retaliating for a Clinton presidency that they say was stolen.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:48 pm

I had to Google Aaron Freedman to make sure he wasn't running for president or Congress. I've also never heard of Jacobin.
I apparently need to turn in my Resistance® membership card.
I belong to a racing forum. They have a political subforum. A while back someone started a thread with that article as the pretext to talk about border agent antics. That's the only reason I have heard of it; I have not read the article.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:51 pm

Bingo.
Google served me a news article praising Moscow Mitch for condeming the Dems that wrote it if that counts.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 pm

"How can I use this tragedy to help my presidential run?"
It is devastating that so many families are suffering, or losing the people they love, while we wait to make the substantial gun reform we need to keep people in our country safe.

Our hearts are with the people of Philadelphia tonight.
https://twitter.com/JulianCastro/status ... 72865?s=19

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:08 pm

@KamalaHarris suggests her 2020 gun-control policies would have stopped the anti-police mass shooting in Philly.
https://t.co/72Rl8dhfde

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:18 pm

@KamalaHarris suggests her 2020 gun-control policies would have stopped the anti-police mass shooting in Philly.
At the very end: "ban the importation of assault weapons into our country"

:lol: :face:

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:24 pm

Also it wasn't a "anti-police mass shooting".

It is a "oh crap the police are here let me shoot back" shooting.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:28 pm

:thumb:

On a narc warrant. The war on drugs produces way too many casualties on both sides.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:32 pm

At the very end: "ban the importation of assault weapons into our country"

:lol: :face:
:face:

For those not aware, the Gun Control Act of 1968 included a prohibition on the importation of firearms that fail to pass what is usually called the "sporting purposes" test. Starting around 1990 or so, the BATF decided to reinterpret that test to prohibit the importation of semi-automatic rifles from other countries. Any rifle since then must contain a sufficient percentage of US-made parts such that the BATF considers it to be manufactured in the US. So Kamala Harris is calling for something that has already been in place for decades.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:42 pm

Once again, the gun control folks make themselves look like utter, uninformed tools. This might be the worst example yet, which is saying something.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Once again, the gun control folks make themselves look like utter, uninformed tools. This might be the worst example yet, which is saying something.
Not the worst I've ever heard. Back a few years ago when Robert Mangino was the evening host on KDKA radio, he was interviewing Shira Goodman, who is the longtime executive director of CeasefirePA. CeasefirePA considers itself the leading anti-gun organization in PA. Ms. Goodman was discussing how CeasefirePA is in favor of a 10-round magazine limit, and when Mangino asked her what she would do with the tens of millions of existing magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds, Ms. Goodman replied that the supply of those magazines would be “used up” as people fired them. She was 100% serious. She was under the belief that magazines are disposable, which is every bit as wrong as believing that when your laser printer runs out of toner, you have to throw it out and buy a new one. When Mangino pointed out that magazines are not, in fact, disposable, Ms. Goodman seemed to be honestly shocked.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:09 pm

https://twitter.com/BrookelynnML/status ... 64224?s=19

Cops are getting shot to hell and these Philly gutter trash are verbally harassing them and throwing sht at them. What a bunch of scum.

Is it really that surprising that their 12 year old children are looting stores? Seriously F these people.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:26 pm

'No one here is defending it, but here's why those people may have felt the need to throw shtt at police responding to an ambush..'

--a post in this thread soon probably

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:27 pm

Here we just have another example of NP and shad being racist.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:38 pm

What a shithole city.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:39 pm

Here we just have another example of NP and shad being racist.

I'd really like to think you're better than this...