Politics And Current Events

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:14 am

Yea? Currently, have the dems done anything to combat the mentioned above? IIRC Biden has bought barrels that hasn't impacted anything. They've spent a majority of their time thus far, decrying how they'd like to fix things but can't (fundraising for it), and seemingly refuse to do anything that could give them a major win. They just don't play dirty, and in today's game, that's losing, imo.

The biggest things I've heard about in the past few months have been Ukraine, how we can't avoid inflation, school loan debts forgiven/unforgiven.

I don't even feel like I'm asking for a lot, but they don't focus on the here and the now, and things that benefit people today.

Like I've stated this before, but if liberals are going to parade around and complain about losing all the time, and how things are stacked against them, how about they like, actually try and win by any means necessary?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:20 am

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-gas- ... ging-bill/
The House vote was 217-207: no Republican supported the bill, suggesting it's likely headed for failure in the Senate.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:23 am

So they couldn't have gone to the negotiating table anywhere? Just wanted to pass a bill immediately, so everyone can say no and move on?

Glad we tried everything and we're out of ideas...

I've seen this bill posted everywhere about how republicans shot it down en masse, but no follow-up to improve, fixing, or taking another go at it. They let it fail, almost like it was a political message, and then moved on.

I'm more annoyed today, that we've allowed this loser mentality to take over and try to work towards anything.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:25 am

Hmm, just one example that it's something, while the Rs that dodint and moan have done and will do exactly nothing imo. I think the gas prices are out of our governments control really anyway, fwiw

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:27 am

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-gas- ... ging-bill/
The House vote was 217-207: no Republican supported the bill, suggesting it's likely headed for failure in the Senate.
In the days leading up to the vote, it was unclear whether the legislation would have enough support to pass, since some moderate Democrats were frustrated with the bill. Murphy, for instance, in an interview with CBS News Wednesday, argued it did little to address the forces driving inflation, and instead could vilify oil and gas companies in a way that would backfire, resulting in less production.
This is one of those instances where I don't think that snippet tells the whole story. If there is actual proof of price gouging, then by all means, go after the stations/companies that are doing it. It is already illegal in most, if not all, places.

Gas was $2/gallon a couple of years ago when oil was over $100/barrel. There are a lot of factors that go into gas prices, and laying them all at the feet of the energy companies isn't really realistic, although I understand the desire to blame someone. And no, I am not asking for sympathy for the oil companies.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:28 am

I get that the Republican Party is a circus/clown show, but I think we also have to avoid falling into the trap that everything the Democrats are pushing is good/desirable in contrast.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:30 am

I've already admitted that nothing ever happens, and this is the most I'm impacted on any of the decisions. But that bill, didn't have solid support even in the rank and file moderates.

I legit believe it was just used as another 'LOOK AT ALL THESE PEOPLE SAYING NO.' Because if these people truly supported anything, they'd have gone back to the board and worked to improve it etc. Or negotiate halfway.

I don't believe any of this stuff is out of the governments control, I think they could probably pull some levers that hurt their pockets, which is why nothing is being done.

Just tired of the losing and just moving on trying to forget it. Tired of the crying after the fact for show, when there's more that could be done.

To Trump's credit, and eventual downfall - at least that guy would put out 4094094 executive orders that could get challenged to see what stuck.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:30 am

imo the dems stink in a political sense as a whole, but the GOP as a whole is borderline evil. and they're two bad options, I'm just going with the one that isn't trying to sabotage our democracy for now

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:31 am

I'm not sure why conservatives even pretend to be unhappy. They're getting everything they voted for.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:59 am

No chance I'm voting. My choices are a **** up economy with the do-nothing democrats (cue the defense squad...) and a more fractured America with the QOP.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:05 pm

That's basically where I think I'm landing to. A vote for nobody is a negative vote, sure - but like Biden/Trump. I went with the less of two evils, now at this point, there's no winner if it's Biden/Trump again, and I'm just not interested in this.

I think the abortion stuff is going to help democrats, but the fundraising immediately after it left a very sour taste in the mouths of people.

I am a major debi-downer today, but I am so tired of democrats who basically on a soft majority, taking one swing and going back to the bench.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:10 pm

People will vote for the economy over abortions. People will look in the mirror and realize they fill their gas tank up and have a 401k but don't get abortions. Or live in a state or have the means necessary to easily travel to a state that allows them to get an abortion. And the people who don't already vote democrat.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:10 pm

yes. true as well

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:11 pm

At the end of the day, people care about themselves first.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:15 pm

No chance I'm voting. My choices are a **** up economy with the do-nothing democrats (cue the defense squad...) and a more fractured America with the QOP.
I don’t imagine you’ll find anybody defending the democrats on that one.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:29 pm

I’m looking forward to Biden announcing loan forgiveness in mid October…
But only if you vote for democrats. If you don’t, then there’s nothing he can do.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:37 pm

The main and really only reason to vote for Democrats is in the event that one of these SC justices croak. They aren't going to pack the court, they won't do anything legislative wise, so everything that happens in this country for the foreseeable future is by way of the court. The republicans have known this for years. So yea, it might suck to vote for the Ds considering they are about as worthless as they can come, holding your nose and voting is important.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:44 pm

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:49 pm

I’m looking forward to Biden announcing loan forgiveness in mid October…
But only if you vote for democrats. If you don’t, then there’s nothing he can do.
That's the 2024 promise. "We swear we'll do this, we're totally legit."

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:52 pm

It didn't work for Trump and that last stimulus payment.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:53 pm

I have no clue if it would work or not, but I'm not even saying he'll do it. He'll just promise to do it if the dems stay in control.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:56 pm

sympathy for the oil companies.
Hope you guess my name

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:56 pm

Trump lost because of COVID and the constant stream of instances demonstrating his fundamental inability to do the job.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:27 pm

I have a feeling "But the gas prices" is going to be the new "But her emails" used by people "on the fence" to rationalize putting Trump or psycho DeSantis in power.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:30 pm

The difference being the gas prices negatively impact every single one of us every single week, and sure you can say it's not the fault if the sitting POTUS but not every voter is an economist...