Politics And Current Events

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:48 pm

But isn’t that how it’s supposed to work? You listen to the people you represent?
It's Twitter driven.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:57 pm

What's the point of Biden if he's going to just get in line with all the other candidates?

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 pm

What's the point of Biden if he's going to just get in line with all the other candidates?
Has he recently talked about this and made a point of saying "I am for the Hype amendment!"?

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 pm

Henry Hyde was a real dbag. I think he left the House after a sex scandal.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 pm

I thought warren did a good job making his support of that Hyde amendment untenable. trying to equivocate on abortion, by say, supporting the Hyde amendment is a cop out, and it really just takes someone with grade level articulation to shred that position from the left.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:06 pm

Has he recently talked about this and made a point of saying "I am for the Hype amendment!"?
No, he is hoping to skate under the radar, but his previous positions on several issues where he was a moderate are now being brought up as attack points because he is out of step with the party's orthodoxy.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:06 pm

He’s been toeing that line about being pro-life but not anti-abortion.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:10 pm

Democrats are on the path to **** ing up, for the second time in a row, what should be a slam dunk win.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:11 pm

No, he is hoping to skate under the radar, but his previous positions on several issues where he was a moderate are now being brought up as attack points because he is out of step with the party's orthodoxy.
Right, his opponents are trying to take him down.

Accepting a that federal funds would not be used for abortion was a good compromise. Those days are over I guess as right wants to outlaw abortion and left wants to have them at the drop of the hat.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:19 am

Right, his opponents are trying to take him down.

Accepting a that federal funds would not be used for abortion was a good compromise. Those days are over I guess as right wants to outlaw abortion and left wants to have them at the drop of the hat.
Correct. I'm disappointed in Biden's position change, not so much because he caved to the loudest members of his party but because the Hyde Amendment is a textbook example of the kind of compromises that will need to happen if any of the Democratic Party agenda is to be put in place with what will most assuredly be a Republican Senate.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:22 am

In what circumstances would the government provide funding for an abortion?

Does this mean that someone on public acceptance is barred from getting one?

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:24 am

Medicaid won't pay for abortions so no, they are not barred from getting one.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:26 am

Medicaid won't pay for abortions so no, they are not barred from getting one.
Does regular insurance pay for abortions?

I mean, if so, this amendment just seems punitive.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:27 am

1) Medicaid recipients can't use their insurance as its federally subsidized, and federal funding cannot go to organizations that perform them (that's why PP has to segregate services in their budget).
2) No, is your on SNAP or any other benefit program you can have an abortion. You can't use your SNAP card to pay for an abortion though (imagine Shaf's displeasure when he's behind somebody at the grocery store buying Plan B AND shrimp with their SNAP card). :slug:

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:28 am

:lol: I'd pay to see that.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:37 am

I heard on NPR this morning that the vast majority of Americans agree that abortion in the first 3 months of pregnancy, cases of rape & incest, and when it threatens the mother's life/well being should be permitted. It really is the fringe groups that are controlling the conversation about when an abortion should be allowed.

I know that has nothing to do with funding abortions, but I thought it was interesting.

Another thing of interest was some recent poll numbers. I know how everyone here loves polls so take them as you will, but essentially before the Alabama ban a few months ago, a poll showed that people who consider themselves pro-life or pro-choice were about 47% each. After the ban, the numbers went to something like 34% and 62% (I'm guessing on numbers, you can look them up if you'd like). Essentially they said that the outright ban that Alabama put in place had quite a few people changing over to the pro-choice camp.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:47 am

I heard on NPR this morning that the vast majority of Americans agree that abortion in the first 3 months of pregnancy, cases of rape & incest, and when it threatens the mother's life/well being should be permitted. It really is the fringe groups that are controlling the conversation about when an abortion should be allowed.

I know that has nothing to do with funding abortions, but I thought it was interesting.

Another thing of interest was some recent poll numbers. I know how everyone here loves polls so take them as you will, but essentially before the Alabama ban a few months ago, a poll showed that people who consider themselves pro-life or pro-choice were about 47% each. After the ban, the numbers went to something like 34% and 62% (I'm guessing on numbers, you can look them up if you'd like). Essentially they said that the outright ban that Alabama put in place had quite a few people changing over to the pro-choice camp.
I actually think the outright ban makes more sense then the "only in cases of rape and incest" take. Because that then formalizes some sort of protocol that the woman has to go through to prove that the pregnancy was due to rape or incest, which I assume requires law enforcement, and then what happens if the accused is acquitted?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:56 am

I actually think the outright ban makes more sense then the "only in cases of rape and incest" take. Because that then formalizes some sort of protocol that the woman has to go through to prove that the pregnancy was due to rape or incest, which I assume requires law enforcement, and then what happens if the accused is acquitted?

Incest I’d assume would be easier to prove than rape, but if they are acquitted then you can’t have an abortion and the person that falsely accused deserves appropriate sentencing that comes with falsely accusing someone of a crime.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:58 am

JUST IN: The Navy has released video of a Russian destroyer's unsafe maneuver against the cruiser USS Chancellorsville today in the Philippine Sea. The destroyer got to within 50-100 feet and Chancellorsville had to put its engines at all back full to avoid a collision
https://t.co/9YScOzCWY2

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:59 am

Or worse, what if the investigation takes more than a few months to come to a conclusion

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:02 am

Being acquitted would not mean necessarily that it was a false police report.

It's mostly just requiring the woman to formally accuse someone of rape in order to have an abortion, does that then force the police to verify the merits of the accusation before formally completing a police report that the woman can take to her doctor? It seems like the requirement forces the additional step of making officers investigate whether a rape was a rape.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:12 am

Thank you for stating the obvious. nobody, :face:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:53 am

It's mostly just requiring the woman to formally accuse someone of rape in order to have an abortion, does that then force the police to verify the merits of the accusation before formally completing a police report that the woman can take to her doctor? It seems like the requirement forces the additional step of making officers investigate whether a rape was a rape.
regardless, it's such a great thing that we're manufacturing more false rape allegations for the purposes of terminating something that that's no more alive than the mold on your leftovers in your fridge.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:05 am

regardless, it's such a great thing that we're manufacturing more false rape allegations for the purposes of terminating something that that's no more alive than the mold on your leftovers in your fridge.
This is why you can’t have serious discussions on this kind of topic, because people come out with bullshit statements that are meant to incite.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:07 am

I don't think it's meant to incite anymore than saying "At fertilization, it's a human, and so any abortion is murder."