Politics And Current Events

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:58 pm

Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, South Carolina and Nebraska sue Biden to block student loan forgiveness:
“President Biden’s unlawful political play puts the self-wrought college-loan debt on the backs of millions of hardworking Americans who are struggling to pay their utility bills and home loans in the midst of Biden’s inflation,” Ms. Rutledge said in a statement on Thursday. “President Biden does not have the power to arbitrarily erase the college debt of adults who chose to take out those loans.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/29/us/p ... -debt.html

The Biden administration is desperate to defeat standing for plaintiffs to sue, because it knows the proposed program is unconstitutional.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:16 pm

But the viewpoint you're talking about is no longer indistinguishable from the GOP, due to the right wingers taking over the party. The Libertarian party has effectively become redundant.

Oh, so the Republican party now opposes all drug laws, opposes spying, supports the granting of marriage licences " to all consenting adults who apply," opposes the death penalty, opposes taxation, opposes all laws against sex work, and opposes all policies of foreign intervention, including military and economic aid, tariffs, economic sanctions, and regime change?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:17 pm

Again I ask, did you read the article?

Because it seems like a lot of the above is being disregarded with the current direction of the party and the caucus.
Last edited by MR25 on Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:22 pm

technically you asked mikey before. this is the first time you’re asking Shyster

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:22 pm

What makes you think the article is accurate? I mean, I post Reason articles all the time, and pretty much no one here takes them as gospel. Troy posts a Daily Beast article, and it's taken as gospel. Okey dokey.

And, yes, I read the article. I also disagree with many of the statements in the Daily Beast article. What is my basis for disagreement? Because I'm a registered libertarian who has been following the dispute between the Mises Caucus and the libertarian "old guard" for literally years.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:23 pm

I think Mac was a Perkins loan guy too. Sorry bud

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:25 pm

Well that’s not great. I know, polls are bullshit, but I liked the polls more when Fetterman had a double digit lead.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:25 pm

What makes you think the article is accurate? I mean, I post Reason articles all the time, and pretty much no one here takes them as gospel. Troy posts a Daily Beast article, and it's taken as gospel. Okey dokey.

And, yes, I read the article. I also disagree with many of the statements in the Daily Beast article. What is my basis for disagreement? Because I'm a registered libertarian who has been following the dispute between the Mises Caucus and the libertarian "old guard" for literally years.
I fully expected Shyster to side with the Mises Caucus.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:27 pm

The alt-right is on a roll here taking over the LP and the GOP.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:33 pm

I think I probably closely align with the Libertarians (though I’m a little more fiscally liberal) but the party and its “no true Scotsman” rubric about adjudicating what a real libertarian is was quite annoying

glad they crumbled into being Trumpers pretty easily

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:35 pm

The Mises Caucus is not alt-right, or any form of right. It was a counter to the former leadership of the LP that had been drifting the party to take certain positions as to certain social issues, such as discrimination and trans rights. For example, 2020 LP presidential candiate Jo Jorgensen saying this:

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:39 pm

I think I probably closely align with the Libertarians (though I’m a little more fiscally liberal) but the party and its “no true Scotsman” rubric about adjudicating what a real libertarian is was quite annoying
Put 20 libertarians in a room, and you'll have 20 different opinions about what it means to be a "real" libertarian. I would say that the only unifying principle is the non-aggression principle ("NAP"). Whether anything else is a mark of "real" libertarianism is a matter of debate.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:10 pm

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:34 pm

Yeah, I tried...but he was stuck in theatrics mode. It was a weird time to pull the card I thought, but I'm not him.

Spelled out that my response was comment on the commentary. Then even followed up with "yeah, that's unfortunate where ever that's happening...but here's a legit guy, that legit ran, in my state, and..."

DID YOU READ THE DAILY BEAST!?!? It said something against the people that don't see the world exactly how they do that day...it's the article of record!

k.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:53 pm

TBH, I believe the main issue is you're talking about the what (the comments), whereas I was trying to explain the why. You either ignored it or didn't catch where I was at, then went on your usual "teams" diatribe, and I got frustrated because it appeared you were ignoring the point I was trying to make. It's not "theatrics". I was legitimately asking if you had read it because Troy and VLB's comments made sense in relation to the article. Judging by your continued responses, it seemed like you hadn't, so my apologies for asking in the first place.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:20 pm

I can say that the LPMC folks are definitely more hostile to "wokeness" and stuff like that, and one of their goals was to counter what they viewed as a trend of stuff like that slowly working its way into the LP platform, where it does not belong. The LP has no business telling people what they should think or believe. That's why the line about racism being repugnant was removed from the platform. It doesn't mean that the LPMC supports racism. It means that the party is disclaiming any right to tell its members what they should be thinking or believing. "But Shyster, that means that there might be racists in the LP." Yeah, it does. It's not the job of the LP to act as thought police, so long as people accept the NAP.

I closely followed the dispute between the LPMC and those folks opposing them, who had large coalesced under the banner "Libertarian Party Cathedral Caucus." I was originally neutral on the dispute. The LPCC's Facebook and Twitter feeds were full of insults and name-calling, with no substantive anything on how the LPCC would actually attract new voters or implement policy. In fact, I specifically reached out on Facebook and asked them to explain how exactly they would run the LP differently from the LPMC and what policies the LPCC would implement that the LPMC would not (or vice versa). I was told in response, basically, "We exist solely to oppose the LPMC, not explain ourselves or our policies," which I did not view as a sufficient reason to support them. Accordingly, I was not surprised in the slightest that the LPMC won literally every position at the national convention and consequently took over the LP.

In my view, and based on what I read from them, the LPCC was largely composed of left-libertarians who wanted to incorporate social-justice concepts into the LP.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:34 pm

Is this like the 6th time in a row that I've been told I'm going on and on about "teams" but not...? haha

I mean, I'm glad it's stuck in everyone's head because I'm hoping that you'll realize how foolish you've been, but I gotta say...feels pretty awesome haha

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:31 am

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:35 am

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:31 am

So, did I miss anything last night?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:30 am

Nothing but the usual circlejerk bullshit. :lol:

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:20 am

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:21 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nation ... -rcna50015
The Justice Department on Thursday accused an Army doctor and a Johns Hopkins anesthesiologist of conspiring to provide the Russian government with medical information about U.S. soldiers and their relatives.

The indictment names Jamie Lee Henry, an Army major at Fort Bragg who had a secret security clearance, and Henry’s spouse, Anna Gabrielian, a Russian-speaker who is affiliated with Johns Hopkins, according to a Hopkins webpage.

They are charged with offering sensitive information to an undercover FBI agent who was posing as a representative of the Russian Embassy.

The indictment says the FBI learned that Gabrielian had volunteered assistance to Russia through its embassy in Washington.
You may remember that name, Henry was the first transgender military officer back in 2015.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:40 am

I remember it from yesterday.
Jamie Lee Henry is the first openly transgender officer in the army too. Anti-trans people are gonna have a field day with this
Last edited by dodint on Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:40 am

dodinted