Kane

Politics And Current Events

Postby Kane » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:56 am

de Blasio drops out.

Ted

Postby Ted » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:05 am

de Blasio drops out.
The robot tax just didn’t resonate. Shocker.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 am

I don't think that's all that controversial is it? Shad unnecessarily freaks out abut things... such is life.
Exactly. Some people freak out unnecessarily over gun violence, some of us over other things. At least it's not sports for me anymore. :lol:
Are we still concerned about sharia law taking over the USA and Europe? Just trying to get a feel for where we are on that one. :lol:

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:09 am

I’m sure we will here why this is different.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:19 am

That is definitely the same as demanding another country to investigate your domestic political opponent.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:23 am

That is definitely the same as demanding another country to investigate your domestic political opponent.
So it’s ok that Obama and Biden directed a foreign power to fire a prosecutor (who was investigating joe biden’s Son’s company at the time) if they want a billion dollars?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:23 am

Giuliani says 'of course' he asked Ukraine to look into Biden seconds after denying it
President Trump's personal attorney Rudy Giuliani gave conflicting answers in an interview on CNN on Thursday night as to whether he asked Ukraine to look into former Vice President Joe Biden, saying at one point "of course I did."
I just watched the clip of the end of that sequence. One of the greatest things I have ever seen.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 am

Context?
Viktor Shokin had much bigger issues than the corruption case against Mykola Zlochevsky. Almost immediately after he was appointed, he started to cause almost irreparable harm to Ukraine’s legal system.

For starters, he failed to prosecute any prominent members of the Yanukovych regime or anybody in the current government. He constantly blocked reform to Ukraine’s broken legal system. He was in charge of implementing the 2014 law on prosecution which the European Union had asked Ukraine to do for years.

The law aimed to reduce to role of prosecutors who “were absurdly superior to judges in the Soviet legal system that persisted in post-Soviet Ukraine” according to Atlantic Council. It also called for a reevaluation of all prosecutors in order to weed out the more corrupt and incompetent ones. Shokin manipulated the process so that the old system mostly remained the same and minimal, ineffective changes were implemented.

He was the largest obstacle to judicial reform in Ukraine. It wasn’t just Joe Biden calling for his ouster, it was the United States government and the European Union.

Steven Pifer, a career foreign service officer who was ambassador to Ukraine under President Bill Clinton, told Politifact that “”virtually everyone” he knew in the U.S. government and virtually all non-governmental experts on Ukraine “felt that Shokin was not doing his job and should be fired. As far as I can recall, they all concurred with the vice president telling Poroshenko that the U.S. government would not extend the $1 billion loan guarantee to Ukraine until Shokin was removed from office.””

The European Union also called for him to be fired and celebrated his removal. “This decision creates an opportunity to make a fresh start in the prosecutor general’s office. I hope that the new prosecutor general will ensure that [his] office . . . becomes independent from political influence and pressure and enjoys public trust,” said Jan Tombinski, the EU’s envoy to Ukraine, in a statement at the time.
Biden relays from the US & the EU that "You need to fire the corrupt prosecutor who refuses to prosecute anybody in your regime or make the change to your legal system you agreed to."
?=?
Trump says "You need to investigate my political opponent"

Only through red state blinders are these equivalent.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:26 am

https://theintercept.com/2019/05/10/rum ... rmer-says/

Someone's been reading too many John Solomon pieces.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:34 am

Context?
Viktor Shokin had much bigger issues than the corruption case against Mykola Zlochevsky. Almost immediately after he was appointed, he started to cause almost irreparable harm to Ukraine’s legal system.

For starters, he failed to prosecute any prominent members of the Yanukovych regime or anybody in the current government. He constantly blocked reform to Ukraine’s broken legal system. He was in charge of implementing the 2014 law on prosecution which the European Union had asked Ukraine to do for years.

The law aimed to reduce to role of prosecutors who “were absurdly superior to judges in the Soviet legal system that persisted in post-Soviet Ukraine” according to Atlantic Council. It also called for a reevaluation of all prosecutors in order to weed out the more corrupt and incompetent ones. Shokin manipulated the process so that the old system mostly remained the same and minimal, ineffective changes were implemented.

He was the largest obstacle to judicial reform in Ukraine. It wasn’t just Joe Biden calling for his ouster, it was the United States government and the European Union.

Steven Pifer, a career foreign service officer who was ambassador to Ukraine under President Bill Clinton, told Politifact that “”virtually everyone” he knew in the U.S. government and virtually all non-governmental experts on Ukraine “felt that Shokin was not doing his job and should be fired. As far as I can recall, they all concurred with the vice president telling Poroshenko that the U.S. government would not extend the $1 billion loan guarantee to Ukraine until Shokin was removed from office.””

The European Union also called for him to be fired and celebrated his removal. “This decision creates an opportunity to make a fresh start in the prosecutor general’s office. I hope that the new prosecutor general will ensure that [his] office . . . becomes independent from political influence and pressure and enjoys public trust,” said Jan Tombinski, the EU’s envoy to Ukraine, in a statement at the time.
Biden relays from the US & the EU that "You need to fire the corrupt prosecutor who refuses to prosecute anybody in your regime or make the change to your legal system you agreed to."
?=?
Trump says "You need to investigate my political opponent"

Only through red state blinders are these equivalent.
So like Hillary Clinton’s campaign going to Ukraine for information?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:36 am

Joe Biden should not have been there with such a conflict of interest.

FAF response.... “derrr trump defender....”

Figured I’d respond for you guys since that’s the only response you are capable of when trump is involved with anything.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:36 am

Are we on repeat here?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:38 am

FAF response.... “derrr trump defender....”

Figured I’d respond for you guys since that’s the only response you are capable of when trump is involved with anything.
I wouldn't consider a Trump defense, more of just unrelated nonsense.

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:41 am

Giuliani says 'of course' he asked Ukraine to look into Biden seconds after denying it
President Trump's personal attorney Rudy Giuliani gave conflicting answers in an interview on CNN on Thursday night as to whether he asked Ukraine to look into former Vice President Joe Biden, saying at one point "of course I did."
I just watched the clip of the end of that sequence. One of the greatest things I have ever seen.
I didn't get to see it all the way through yet, but it sounds like a real hoot.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:43 am

Are we on repeat here?

It's been a while, since we've had a spiral

... argument. I just wanted to keep the rhyme there.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:43 am

I just want to remind everyone that nobody is not a troll account....as crazy as it seems

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:45 am

Did not know that about Biden. I am not a Biden guy to begin with and don't want to see him as President either.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:48 am

So now it's ok that we did it, we just sent the wrong messenger. Thanks, we'll take up the optics at our next TDS meeting.

The Paul Manafort payments were made public by an "independent" anti-corruption agency in Ukraine. Even if Hillary went to an ally looking for information, it's on a different level than the sitting President holding $1B hostage pending an investigation into his chief rival. That $1B is allocated by Congress, without party affiliation. It is not to be used to further the President's re-election campaign.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:55 am

Did not know that about Biden. I am not a Biden guy to begin with and don't want to see him as President either.
By getting Shokin removed, Biden in fact made it more rather than less likely that the oligarch who employed his son would be subject to prosecution for corruption.

As the former Reuters correspondent Oliver Bullough explains in his book “Moneyland,” just weeks before Hunter Biden joined the Burisma board in May 2014, ostensibly “to strengthen corporate governance,” Britain’s Serious Fraud Office had frozen $23 million of Zlochevsky’s assets in a money laundering investigation. (Zlochevsky and Burisma have denied all allegations of corruption.) At the time, Bullough writes, “The White House insisted that the position was private matter for Hunter Biden unrelated to his father’s job, but that is not how anyone I spoke to in Ukraine interpreted it. Hunter Biden is an undistinguished corporate lawyer with no previous Ukraine experience. Why then would a Ukrainian tycoon hire him?”

Indeed, hiring the vice president’s son might have seemed to Zlochevsky like a way to protect his business from scrutiny by international investigators. But the facts show that the Obama-Biden administration strenuously opposed the decision by Ukrainian prosecutors to let Zlochevsky off the hook.
I think you have to think of things like this, a comparable for Hunter Biden is someone like Trump Jr. someone too stupid to have criminal intent. Trying to place Hunter Biden on the end of some intricate criminal conspiracy is farcical.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:25 am

This is so dumb.

Ted

Postby Ted » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:01 pm

How much additional fossil fuel will be burned getting to and from this world altering “strike”?

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:03 pm

Go away.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:25 pm

7... seven additional fossil fuels.