Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:35 pm

Complete abdication of leadership and accountability.
Luckily DeVos is very respected within the education community, so I'm sure they're all ears.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:39 pm

Well...I mean, right? Let's ignore the empty goal, because it's just not evidently enforceable to me and I doubt it's even on paper anywhere. But wouldn't you want that power to be in the hands of the evidently-very-educated college educators and administrators instead of new Nancy Reagan or Captain Stupid and his rotting potato friend...? We hate those people. We think they're dumb. They're pushing power down to the local level (which I know a lot of the left discourages, fair enough, whatever). I don't think you could ask for a more ideal scenario from this administration then: "you figure it out"

Because they haven't been helpful and we're pretty far along on the ride to suggest that they have good ideas up their sleeve, right?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:41 pm

she didn't quite say "you figure it out." she said they must be fully open - I have a feeling most schools wouldn't choose that route if they had their choice at the local level, right?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:43 pm

Not sure turning colleges into Covid incubation communities is a reasonable thing to do.
Liberty university opened and didn’t have an outbreak. So how can we know it would become incubators?
Your argument was based on the fact that they're going to get it partying together at home. You think there's a lesser chance of outbreak on campus vs home?
And you chose a dry evangelical college to prove your point...
I went to a dry Christian college that was ranked one of the most "sober" campuses. Yet my frat routinely had parties where 25% of the campus would come.... Hmmm...

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:45 pm

Wouldn’t the smart thing to do is have all the college students go to the dorms and teachers can teach either virtually or not.

These kids are going to party, might as well have them all together and not infecting their parents or other older relatives.
This is basically what my daughter’s school is doing. Problem is, with it being completely up to the professors, seems to be about 90% online now. The school originally targeted 40% a month ago. They also haven’t set forth expectations for how the online learning would go. Or communicated much or anything, except that tuition increased by 5%. Needless to say, not happy with the school now. There needs to be more outside the box thinking. One suggestion was have kids who want to meet to the classroom and have the teacher “zoom” in. Seems logical.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:46 pm

Most schools, if going back in the fall, are doing a reduced number of people on campus, no shared kitchen, no shared dorms. A mixture of in-person for classes that need it and are allowed on campus (labs) and online for big lectures that don't. The reports I've seen from various schools seem extremely well thought out from that aspect. I do think, as you said, the hardest things is partying and how you can possibly crack down on that.
This is one of the things that’s upsetting me about my daughter’s classes. Even her labs are online.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:46 pm

she didn't quite say "you figure it out." she said they must be fully open - I have a feeling most schools wouldn't choose that route if they had their choice at the local level, right?

This.

She's not just saying "figure it out yourselves" with regards to the decision of whether or not to open. She's saying "You're going to open. If you aren't sure how to do it figure it out"

There's no agency on the Universities's part. They don't have a choice to not open.
Last edited by MR25 on Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:47 pm

Not sure turning colleges into Covid incubation communities is a reasonable thing to do.
Liberty university opened and didn’t have an outbreak. So how can we know it would become incubators?
Your argument was based on the fact that they're going to get it partying together at home. You think there's a lesser chance of outbreak on campus vs home?
I am saying their social circles will be more confined to other Young people at college. At home their social circles will be more diverse in age groups.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:48 pm

Well...I mean, right? Let's ignore the empty goal, because it's just not evidently enforceable to me and I doubt it's even on paper anywhere. But wouldn't you want that power to be in the hands of the evidently-very-educated college educators and administrators instead of new Nancy Reagan or Captain Stupid and his rotting potato friend...? We hate those people. We think they're dumb. They're pushing power down to the local level (which I know a lot of the left discourages, fair enough, whatever). I don't think you could ask for a more ideal scenario from this administration then: "you figure it out"

Because they haven't been helpful and we're pretty far along on the ride to suggest that they have good ideas up their sleeve, right?
The department of education has the capacity to help develop protocols and standards to to assist the local school districts. They should also have the information that would assist them in identifying districts that lack the capacity to safely open. And sure, there are plenty of districts that have the means to completely waive off help from the DOE, but the DOE can't just waive off their role in helping schools navigate this novel experience.
Last edited by Troy Loney on Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:48 pm

Jackson basically "All Lives Matters"'ed Jews:

And Marquise Goodwin doubled down on his support as well. These guys are really putting one hell of a stain on the movement right now. All of that Nation of Islam crap.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:54 pm

Wut

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:55 pm

No. That's what I'm saying. She's just talking ****, just like Trump all the time...now, if the DOE has any authority (or use) at all, and they write something up definitively that says, "if you don't open 100% with butts in seats by Halloween, we're cutting off the bottomless money pit to you on student loans" then, ok, you got something...this seems pretty plainly to be just strong words with no backing...

Like when Trump says that he can use Article II to be king or dictator or whatever...or when he says he's going to run for a third term...you can say anything any old ****, but it doesn't make it binding...

Now, I'm not saying it's cool to say this stuff and all this...but come on, that statement - even if taken in context - by itself has just an iota more value than me threatening you on this message board. First of all, you're probably bigger than me and would punch my head in...second of all, I couldn't find you if there was $100,000 bounty on it...

I think you'd have to be very skittish and panicky to take that statement at actionable face value...

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:56 pm

I am saying their social circles will be more confined to other Young people at college. At home their social circles will be more diverse in age groups.
There’s also the social and emotional well being that needs to be factored in.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:00 pm

The department of education has the capacity to help develop protocols and standards to to assist the local school districts. They should also have the information that would assist them in identifying districts that lack the capacity to safely open. And sure, there are plenty of districts that have the means to completely waive off help from the DOE, but the DOE can't just waive off their role in helping schools navigate this novel experience.
The DOE makes an interesting double-down here where they continue to suck in dollars and output............ :?: :?: :?:

I don't mean to take it global like that and neither of us want to go down that road here. But Wyoming University (exists?) is probably in a different place right now than Arizona State. A federal bureaucracy, whose main role is to.....uhhhh...make bad, bloated deals with minors and 18 year olds...? I'm still not sure...anyway, a federal bureaucracy, trying to oversee - what - several thousand (?) colleges and universities with all entirely different locations, needs, student populations, academics, setups, etc. isn't super tenable even if they claimed to be competent...

No one is going to know their school better than the school itself...they want money, so it's not like they're going to close. But they also don't want students to die (see: money). So they have their own best interest in mind and can make a more informed decision than any one-size (or even ten-sizes) fit-all crap that the DOE could reasonably spit out...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:01 pm

No. That's what I'm saying. She's just talking ****, just like Trump all the time...now, if the DOE has any authority (or use) at all, and they write something up definitively that says, "if you don't open 100% with butts in seats by Halloween, we're cutting off the bottomless money pit to you on student loans" then, ok, you got something...this seems pretty plainly to be just strong words with no backing...

Like when Trump says that he can use Article II to be king or dictator or whatever...or when he says he's going to run for a third term...you can say anything any old ****, but it doesn't make it binding...

Now, I'm not saying it's cool to say this stuff and all this...but come on, that statement - even if taken in context - by itself has just an iota more value than me threatening you on this message board. First of all, you're probably bigger than me and would punch my head in...second of all, I couldn't find you if there was $100,000 bounty on it...

I think you'd have to be very skittish and panicky to take that statement at actionable face value...
Ah, I misunderstood your post. I'd have some noons on hand to enjoy if you ended up finding me for the record

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:06 pm

Bet! :fist:

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:25 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/us/black-lives- ... ish-police

Should be interesting. I see some points as realistic, and probably reasonable, other ones a pipe dream.

One thing I always see missing, there are just some really bad people in the world that just don't give a **** and will take advantage of situations where there is no policing (see CHOP).

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:26 pm

What parent in their right mind would listen to this **** when it comes to the safety for their child? The fact that he's pushing so hard for schools to open up makes me want to keep mine home. He's a NTP66.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:28 pm

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:31 pm

The DOE makes an interesting double-down here where they continue to suck in dollars and output............ :?: :?: :?:

I don't mean to take it global like that and neither of us want to go down that road here. But Wyoming University (exists?) is probably in a different place right now than Arizona State. A federal bureaucracy, whose main role is to.....uhhhh...make bad, bloated deals with minors and 18 year olds...? I'm still not sure...anyway, a federal bureaucracy, trying to oversee - what - several thousand (?) colleges and universities with all entirely different locations, needs, student populations, academics, setups, etc. isn't super tenable even if they claimed to be competent...

No one is going to know their school better than the school itself...they want money, so it's not like they're going to close. But they also don't want students to die (see: money). So they have their own best interest in mind and can make a more informed decision than any one-size (or even ten-sizes) fit-all crap that the DOE could reasonably spit out...
Not 100% sure, but i think the DOE deal with K-12, but the anecdote still applies. If your problem is the DOE telling the district what to do, that is exactly what they are doing, what if a district believes its in their best interest to be remote next year?

Also, I am struggling to find how a district knowing itself better helps it prepare for pandemic conditions? They will of course know the "how", but how are they all going to know the "what". So the one agency, who's job it is, is to establish policy for the country's schools, is not doing it's job to inform schools on what actions have to be taken.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:31 pm

What parent in their right mind would listen to this **** when it comes to the safety for their child? The fact that he's pushing so hard for schools to open up makes me want to keep mine home. He's a NTP66.
The father of one of my photography clients has prostrate cancer. He's been on low dose chemo since 2018. His daughter (prob 22 now) has a rare form of cancer and just had surgery in Pitts to remove tumors from her abdomen. She's on some pretty massive doses of chemo. Both of them refuse to wear masks and laugh at anyone who does.

I truly can't understand it.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:32 pm

The stuff they are saying that will need to be done for athletics in the fall regarding smaller universities is just not going to be feasible. I'd put a large sum of money down saying there will be no fall sports for NCAA division 2 and 3. They'll move football to the spring and I think that will be a good time.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:36 pm

Not 100% sure, but i think the DOE deal with K-12, but the anecdote still applies. If your problem is the DOE telling the district what to do, that is exactly what they are doing, what if a district believes its in their best interest to be remote next year?

Also, I am struggling to find how a district knowing itself better helps it prepare for pandemic conditions? They will of course know the "how", but how are they all going to know the "what". So the one agency, who's job it is, is to establish policy for the country's schools, is not doing it's job to inform schools on what actions have to be taken.
Or having the ability to shut down the school temporarily when spike's occur. I can't imagine that school could safely reopen in parts of TX and AZ now.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:54 pm

I don't see how the school wouldn't know. They're the school. The DOE doesn't have any idea how pandemic **** works...they're not the CDC, they're not knowledgeable...they're not the ones closing down bars...they're just some weird middleman that has no bearing on the world at-large.

In the same way the SBA doesn't tell the mom and pop restaurant down the street from me what they can and can't do...someone that evidently knows what they're doing does...

The DOE seems to be mostly a middleman that scrapes some money off the top for themselves and nothing else...they're certainly not in a better position to remark on pandemic than the CDC (or whoever says ****) and the school itself...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:13 pm

Angry anti-masker: