Politics And Current Events

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:27 am

religion plays a big part in all of it too. somehow american Christianity is just used as an excuse to hate others and I think many conservatives realized they lost the "war" of gay marriage so they turn their sights to an even more vulnerable population under the guise of their love for Jesus (who, again, would never say these things about trans people because he, you know, actually loved people)

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:22 pm

DeSantis is clearly running against Haley, and vice versa, so on and such like. But no one really tries to articulate an argument against Trump, the guy with the easiest negative argument (outside of Bizzarro World GOP).
It's almost like the voters just want Trump and not some freak (vivek), dodint (DeSantis), or stooge/hack (Haley).

I just don't think there's space for places like CNN and the NY Times to accept what the GOP actually is right now. It's the folks that are pot committed to the culture wars. Reince, McConnell, and the party leaders in 2016 were the guy in Ghostbusters that pulled the lever. Now the average republican voter is that lady from the MI election hearing. These people don't want conservative policies, they want entertainment and to think that they are fighting pedophiles.

So I get folks like Colby and NAN that want Republicans cause they don't want any policy that the Democrats would pursue. But, it's empowering a political movement that is just going to do the dumbest **** imaginable.
Me?

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:25 pm

DeSantis is clearly running against Haley, and vice versa, so on and such like. But no one really tries to articulate an argument against Trump, the guy with the easiest negative argument (outside of Bizzarro World GOP).
It's almost like the voters just want Trump and not some freak (vivek), dodint (DeSantis), or stooge/hack (Haley).

I just don't think there's space for places like CNN and the NY Times to accept what the GOP actually is right now. It's the folks that are pot committed to the culture wars. Reince, McConnell, and the party leaders in 2016 were the guy in Ghostbusters that pulled the lever. Now the average republican voter is that lady from the MI election hearing. These people don't want conservative policies, they want entertainment and to think that they are fighting pedophiles.

So I get folks like Colby and NAN that want Republicans cause they don't want any policy that the Democrats would pursue. But, it's empowering a political movement that is just going to do the dumbest **** imaginable.
Me?
Yeah, I don't get that either. I'm not a Republican or die person. I voted for Shapiro for governor, and honestly, if Fetterman were going about business like he is now, I would have voted for him as well.

I'm voting for Haley in the primary, but if DeSantis or Trump is the candidate, then I'm voting for Biden even if I don't believe he can run the country anymore.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:26 pm

Yeah, how would you characterize what your preference for Republican candidates is based on? I read it as opposition to democratic policies and politicians.

Or am I misreading your positions and you're really just pro-GOP agenda

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:30 pm

Would it make you all happier if we called you "conservative leaning independents".

This isn't meant to be an insult, I am sure you recognize yourself as an independent, non-partisan thinker. But believe it or not, the positions you take, and the arguments made in the political thread bucket us in to particular types of voters.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:32 pm

Other than being a registered republican I'm not entirely sure where you're even getting that from. I've made my distaste for identity politics abundantly clear in here.

My views are nuanced. I'm more likely to abandon voting all together because I don't envision a scenario where either of the two parties in power helps my situation

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:41 pm

religion plays a big part in all of it too. somehow american Christianity is just used as an excuse to hate others and I think many conservatives realized they lost the "war" of gay marriage so they turn their sights to an even more vulnerable population under the guise of their love for Jesus (who, again, would never say these things about trans people because he, you know, actually loved people)
I was just reading a local news post talking about how this arctic mass we're getting in the midwest doesn't disprove global warming (the weakening of the jet stream allows cold air masses to sink into lower latitudes). There's an alarming amount of posts saying "this is nonsense, God makes the weather."

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:42 pm

Would it make you all happier if we called you "conservative leaning independents".

This isn't meant to be an insult, I am sure you recognize yourself as an independent, non-partisan thinker. But believe it or not, the positions you take, and the arguments made in the political thread bucket us in to particular types of voters.
Why do we need labels?

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:49 pm

Whatever makes you feel better. I honestly don't care one way or another.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:49 pm

Source of the post God makes the weather.
huh, so god does hate humanity.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:50 pm

Here, I'll give you a viewpoint.

I'm not very religious but I get upset when people in here bash religion. Both at those people and at the people who are politicizing (undermining) religion. Faith provides something different to everyone. For me, as a casual at best church goer, it's being part of a community that has served my family for 100 years and proliferating that among my own kids. Which is why I drive 45 minutes to church when I do go. I don't agree with my own church when it comes to things like marriage or birth control. I don't agree with some of the practices. I can see both sides on the topic of tax law with regard to religious institutions.

How would you label that?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:54 pm

I'm not very religious but I get upset when people in here bash religion. Both at those people and at the people who are politicizing (undermining) religion. Faith provides something different to everyone. For me, as a casual at best church goer, it's being part of a community that has served my family for 100 years and proliferating that among my own kids. Which is why I drive 45 minutes to church when I do go. I don't agree with my own church when it comes to things like marriage or birth control. I don't agree with some of the practices. I can see both sides on the topic of tax law with regard to religious institutions.

it depends on how you define "bashing religion"

I don't have any issue against religion on its face but US evangelicals who use religion as a justification for some pretty horrific stances/laws (like the recent slew of abortion bans or opposing gay marriage/trans rights) are actually terrible people in the same way that people who opposed the abolition of slavery 200 years ago were terrible people

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:56 pm

Average middle-aged middle-class white guy

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:00 pm

Whatever makes you feel better. I honestly don't care one way or another.
I guess I just don't understand acting offended at the prospect of being characterized, or generalized with the voters at large

You can clump me into standard urban liberal voter, probably throw Nocera in there too.

Then there's the group of more centrist suburban, white guys that would be oriented toward republicans, but have been turned off by Trump (plenty to choose from).

That was just using relatable examples from the board to discuss broader trends. We all understand that an individual has nuance, but when we're grouping millions of people into maybe four categories (dem, gop, third party, non-voter), the nuance gets lost.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:00 pm

Would've put this in the non-political thread but given that the GOP turned vaccines into a political issue, here it goes

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:04 pm

I grew up in the church and with a religious mother and it really bothers me that it (religion) gets a pass from most because you’re supposed to like it. Of course they do good in the community but you can’t ignore the systematic sexual abuse and rape of children along with the cover ups, you can’t ignore the application of the Bible only when convenient, and most of all I don’t think you can ignore the blatant ignoring of the teaching of Jesus when it comes to people different than the Christians.

Whether you personally embody some or none of those pieces, continuing to support that establishment (religion) excuses the ongoing hypocrisy and un-Christ like behavior that has pervaded the Christian religion as a whole.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:10 pm

Whether you personally embody some or none of those pieces, continuing to support that establishment (religion) excuses the ongoing hypocrisy and un-Christ like behavior that has pervaded the Christian religion as a whole.
Woof

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:31 pm

I'm not a religious person but one thing I will not do is tell anybody not to believe. And if they do believe, I will not tell anybody how to practice. I'll also not say that somebody who goes to church is excusing child rape...

Don't use religion as a shield to police how others act or as a basis for laws and I'll do the same.
Last edited by nocera on Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:35 pm

This is interesting.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:35 pm

I'm not a religious person but one thing I will not do is tell anybody not to believe. And if they do believe, I will not tell anybody how to practice. I'll also not say that somebody who goes to church is excusing child rape...

Don't use religion as a shield to police how others act or as a basis for laws and I'll do the same.
Fair play. :thumb:

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:44 pm

:thumb:

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:45 pm

This is interesting.

It is.

That was also coming off the poor showing in the mid-terms where Trump senate candidates got squashed and Trump was getting blame for folks like Lake, Oz, and Masters. And also DeSantis was at his peak after routing that hack for FL GOV.

I'd like to see some analysis on DeSantis' polling averages vs his public appearances. I think that people starting hating DeSantis the more they heard and saw him speak. Effortless unlikeability.

Trump being the first one in the race, and that BS charge being the first one was good for Trump, that's for sure though. Also, his strongest challengers never articulated much of a case against him. Nikki calls him old, and DeSantis is saying that he would be better on Trump regarding the Trump agenda. As though the Trump agenda is a thing and not just being a demagogue.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:48 pm

I'll never understand why some people need to create a Jesus that doesn't exist. Jesus condemned sexual immorality en mass. He talks about Hell and judgment more than any other person in the Bible. He only picked men to lead His church. He calls people snakes, vipers, idiots, etc...

He's not the Dali Lama or whatever.

You don't have to like Jesus. It's not required to formulate a Jesus you can stand and just so happens to agree with whatever 2024 DNC politics are.

For an example "love your neighbor" is a direct quote from Leviticus. Christ is confirming all the hate-filled moral laws of the Old Testament. If you love your neighbor you will want your neighbor to conform to the Ten Commandments. He tells the woman caught in adultery to go and sin no more. The only reason He doesn't condemn her to be stoned is because the law would have required the guys to kill their buddy as well, and they were cowards who refused to go to the actual civil authorities with their discovery.

I openly oppose Trump constantly on the Twitters and in real life. I feel no need to defend whatever ignorant pablum I lap up from FauxNews or whatever is the latest groupthink on the Left that informs what people think "conservatives" believe (which let's be honest, "conservative" is just the word us Nazi's use to not just be who we are... #amirite).

I agree with the above poster who noted that there is no one in Trump world who gives a lick about policy. They have no clue what they think about Trans rights or the capital gains rate or whatever. They are Barnum and Baileying up the process (or is that not kosher to say since circus's are evil now?). It's interesting to me that the vast majority of Trumpers are Baby Boomers. DeSantis won young people by a good margin. Haley won Iowa State and the University of Iowa and the Country Club side of Des Moines.

TLDR

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:59 pm

What we know about Jesus comes from the new testament and was written a generation after his death by four people who never witnessed it for themselves. Maybe he only picked men to lead his church because the gospel authors wanted to lead a church.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:11 pm

I'll save my dissention on Freddy's Jesus takes for some day I want to get into the weeds, and it should probably be in the Religion thread so the atheists in here don't get rowdy. nocera's comment along with the addition that the Gospel's had to go through translation certainly leaves wiggle room for "formulating a Jesus."
Last edited by CBear3 on Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.