Politics And Current Events

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:02 pm

Of course. Nearly everyone votes for personal interests. But imo, when the argument is that Biden is just as bad as trump in racial policies, so I wouldn’t vote at all... I think there’s a valid tiebreaker people would look at.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:28 pm

I still believe the biggest difference is rural versus urban. There’s not enough people in the upper class to make a difference, so the parties split the middle class geographically. If you’re a rural black family, you’re in a more self sustaining ecosystem (at least it appears so because farm subsidies are often thought as a given) so you want gov’t to stay out of things because you think they’ll just screw it up. That’s the bulk of your minority Republicans. In urban centers, there’s not the same level of isolation and a lot more inter-connectivity especially based on proximity that see’s gov’t more as a tool for the collective.
Last edited by CBear3 on Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:29 pm

Biden has been in government for 50 years.

What has he done to fix any of it?

What about electing him will change his voting patterns?
If you were black, and felt that a president played a significant role in leadership of the country, would you be more comfortable with Trump or Biden leading it?
Would I rather Bull Conner or Strom Thurmond be President?

I'd move.

But seriously. What have the Democrats done for African-Americans except create garbage schools in inner-cities?

I totally get why blacks don't vote GOP. If I was black I wouldn't either.

I also don't get why they vote DNC. They talk a lot but do much of nothing.
I guess my question would be, if you have two candidates who are equally bad in terms of policy, why vote for the one who has been socially irresponsible in regards to racial issues.
This isn't a dodge, but an honest inquiry. In actual governance what has Biden done positively other than "he's not Trump."

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:31 pm

That is more than enough

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:34 pm

For one, Biden hasn't used the police to clear a peaceful protest so that he could play a false prophet in front of a church with a book he doesn't own and probably has never read.
Last edited by Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:34 pm

This is a pretty cool research tool, and apparently isn’t behind the WSJ paywall:

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:36 pm

If you were black, and felt that a president played a significant role in leadership of the country, would you be more comfortable with Trump or Biden leading it?
Would I rather Bull Conner or Strom Thurmond be President?

I'd move.

But seriously. What have the Democrats done for African-Americans except create garbage schools in inner-cities?

I totally get why blacks don't vote GOP. If I was black I wouldn't either.

I also don't get why they vote DNC. They talk a lot but do much of nothing.
I guess my question would be, if you have two candidates who are equally bad in terms of policy, why vote for the one who has been socially irresponsible in regards to racial issues.
This isn't a dodge, but an honest inquiry. In actual governance what has Biden done positively other than "he's not Trump."
As I said, if you’ve got two who are equally bad... that would accept the premise that Biden hasn’t done anything. Trump is actively divisive in terms of racial issues. That’s a factor for me.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:36 pm

For one, Biden hasn't used the police to clear a peaceful protest so that he could play a false prophet in front of a church with a book he doesn't own and probably has never read.
And he held it upside down. That's an important detail that really helps capture the spirit of the thing imo.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:04 pm

Cal Cunningham just lost the NC Senate race.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:21 pm

The one thing KC, Memphis, and NC can agree on :face:

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:26 pm

Not only is this a picture of a man grilling and calling it "BBQ" like a yankee, but it's a propane grill that is not on.

No one in the South does that and calls it "BBQ".

Though with all the halfbackers in Charlotte and the Triangle they probably won't see the heresy here.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:34 pm

I decided to look in the comments to see if anyone was in on what Freddy was saying...that is legitimately all they are talking about. I find that strangely endearing...

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:01 pm

At least those hot dog and hamburger buns dont look plastic

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:06 pm

Hot dogs and hamburgers as BBQ... lol.

Although the grill does appear to be on. At least he got that right.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:08 pm

The worst (no pun intended) part is that this guy claims to be from Lexington, NC which is the literal capital of BBQ in North Carolina.

This is like running for Senate in Nevada, claiming to be from Las Vegas, and then running an ad showing you playing craps while the tagline says, "I won't fold my cards in Washington. I'll go all-in for you!"

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:08 pm

It amazes me how many people get involved in these things and that things like that make it through without a single person going wait a second..

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:11 pm

Hot dogs and hamburgers as BBQ... lol.

Although the grill does appear to be on. At least he got that right.
Pgh Barbeque. Chipped ham in ketchup in a crock pot.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:11 pm

I am being facetious in thinking this will have any effect. I think Cunningham wins, but lands alive this is hilarious.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:21 pm

Prediction markets had Biden up 53.5%-54% to about 44% in terms of election predictions for something like 3 weeks straight. Those chances did not move much when the economy see-sawed, when Trump called war veterans losers, when Trump managed to pretty much deliver every thing his base elected him for. No change.

Well, the odds finally moved (not a big change, but a change indeed) - after people found out 45 has not been paying enough taxes??!! :)

(I know correlation does not mean causation, but I still find it funny...)

Biden now up 55% to 43% (which is still a toss-up statistically), Electoral College 290-248

https://www.electionbettingodds.com/

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:05 am

I'll be interested to see if Biden uses the tax stuff tonight, because I think he may have Trump in a tough spot here, because the second he says "my taxes are under audit."

The immediate follow-up should be the lying about it, hammering his administration on allowing corruption, and then asking him about his major loans and how he plans to pay them off while in office and how he won't be beholden to other countries like Russia, Saudi Arabia, and even China.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:12 am

I'll be interested to see if Biden uses the tax stuff tonight, because I think he may have Trump in a tough spot here, because the second he says "my taxes are under audit."

The immediate follow-up should be the lying about it, hammering his administration on allowing corruption, and then asking him about his major loans and how he plans to pay them off while in office and how he won't be beholden to other countries like Russia, Saudi Arabia, and even China.
Trump will say that the IRS has been so unfair to him, he pays hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes, and look at Biden and China, and Hunter Biden making millions in Ukraine.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:17 am

Well, I don't think Trump will use any salient points to really give Biden any real retort. That stuff is the usual he's weak on China, and Hunter Biden - but I don't even think he can point to any specific thing to say what was wrong, much less studied anything to bring up.

I'll honestly be surprised if Trump prepared for this debate at all, and instead is just expecting to go in and hammer Biden like he did Hillary.

It might be the case, but Trump now has 4 years of stuff to combat him with as well.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:22 am

Given odds, clearly defining what a book is, and not counting Children’s books I would put a wager that Trump hasn’t read an actual book cover to cover since... high school.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:22 am

I have no mental recall, but how did Biden do in the primary debates?

Kane

Postby Kane » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:24 am

He phoned it in.