Politics And Current Events

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:54 am

Yeah, this comes up once a year and he deals with it everytime. More people like him in government.
Yep I remember reading about him locally and the. One night he showed up here. A politician that actually gives a **** about the people he represents AND has the education, intelligence, and common sense to handle things head-on.

https://www.cc.com/video/jyyb0h/the-col ... -fetterman

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:04 am

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:06 am

There’s no neutrality. Term limits. That’s all.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:16 am

Gee Idk I thought gerrymandering benefited everyone the same?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:34 am

I am a fan of keeping the threat of court packing in the collective mindset.

I think luckily the majority of people who's opinion is relevant, understands that SCOTUS is a fully political institution, if said institution wields unjust authority, buy issuing rulings fully out of step with public sentiment, than that demands political recourse.
Conforming statutory interpretations to "public sentiment" is not the concern to any court. Looking at the judiciary in that fashion is part of the problem, imo.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:36 am

I'd be for a 27 justice court that hears most cases in 9 justice panels. SCOTUS could hear three times as many cases instead of just noping out on stuff that people actually care about. And maybe they can give some of the last minute death appeals more than just a rubber stamp by the on-call justice. Add in the diversity of opinion benefit and the de-celebritizing of justices and I struggle to come up with reasons not to do it.
This is an uncommonly sensible idea.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:39 am

[F-35 stuff]

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:02 am

Russia hoax

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:23 am

Mueller time baby

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:40 am

Good job republicans

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:41 am

Oh, I'm certain they're going to take full credit for it.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:04 pm

Good job republicans
I don't understand the "newly vaccinated" addition. I don't know many people outside of healthcare workers who were vaccinated at the time of that stimulus.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:12 pm

Looks like the Dems are going to insist on plowing forward with reparations.

Setting aside the fact that public support is very low for such a measure, how in the hell would you implement something like this?

Do immigrants that came to the United States after 1865 have to pay reparations out of their pocket?

Do descendants of Union war veterans that died in battle have to pay reparations, or has their family's debt been paid?

Do all black people get money? What about African immigrants (who have been largely successful and typically work hard)? Do they get reparations too, or do they have to pay reparations?

What about the descendants of Irish, Chinese, etc laborers that worked on the railroads for a pittance in horrific conditions?

If you think racial strife was bad in this country already, just wait to see what happens when the gubmint tells hard-working people that they need to hand over even more of their money to the inner cities of America, where I guarantee nothing will change. The Great Society has been around for over a half century, and look at all the "good" that's done.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:14 pm

Could you hit me with a link here, shad?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:16 pm

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/natio ... story.html
A House panel advanced a decades-long effort to pay reparations to the descendants of slaves by approving legislation Wednesday that would create a commission to study the issue.

It’s the first time the House Judiciary Committee has acted on the legislation. Still, prospects for final passage remain poor in such a closely divided Congress. The vote to advance the measure to the full House passed 25-17 after a lengthy and often passionate debate that stretched late into the night.
Obviously it's a long way from becoming a law, but this seems like political poison to me. This was from last year. I mean FFS, a full 50% of Black people don't want them. And can you blame them?

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/50451 ... n-new-poll
Twenty percent of Americans say in a new poll they support reparations but an overwhelming majority still opposes payments meant to address the legacy of slavery and tackle the persistent wealth gap between Black and white Americans.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll released Thursday found that 1 in 5 respondents said the U.S. should use “taxpayer money to pay damages to descendants of enslaved people in the United States.”

The results were sharply divided along partisan lines, with 80 percent of Republicans saying they’re opposed to reparations while about a third of Democrats said they are supportive. The results were also split among races, with 10 percent of white respondents supporting the idea and half of Black respondents backing it.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 pm

Seems like much ado about nothing. This won't go very far.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 pm

Start with socialized health care, UBI, increased educational opportunities for all and decriminalizing drug possession - full stop.

The actual goal of reparations isn’t happy vibes. It’s that big cities are surrounded by moats of ghettos that we all want to go away. So change the structure to reduce poverty and police abuse towards poor citizens.

...but if there are reparations they’d probably be like Watchmen where it’s like no income tax or something.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:23 pm

In your first link...
Polling has found long-standing resistance in the U.S. to reparations to descendants of slaves, divided along racial lines. Only 29% of Americans voiced support for paying cash reparations, according to an Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll taken in the fall of 2019. Most Black Americans favored reparations, 74%, compared with 15% of white Americans.
That's a bit off from a full 50%.

Also from your first link:
The legislation would establish a commission to examine slavery and discrimination in the United States from 1619 to the present. The commission would then recommend ways to educate Americans about its findings and appropriate remedies, including how the government would offer a formal apology and what form of compensation should be awarded.
Seems like this is just a step to discuss what should be awarded. What if the award is just free education? Would that be an issue? I mean, they should at least get to kill one whitey without consequence, right? At least!

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:27 pm

It’s going to be funded through the shad tax, shad and shad-like Americans have to pay a tax that is directly transferred to BLM, HBCU endowment funds and BET.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:38 pm

It’s going to be funded through the shad tax, shad and shad-like Americans have to pay a tax that is directly transferred to BLM, HBCU endowment funds and BET.
he's gonna hate the part where he has to hand his house and car over.

...but really what a crazy thing to worry about. There is greater support for America being an authoritarian nation than there is for reparations.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:39 pm

What about the Black Panthers?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:42 pm

More Russia news.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:43 pm

All those organizations roll into the black panthers, they are the top of the umbrella

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:54 pm

More Russia news.

The United States intelligence community assesses with low to moderate confidence that Russian intelligence officers sought to encourage Taliban attacks U.S. and coalition personnel in Afghanistan in 2019 and perhaps earlier
low-to-moderate. still plausible. "moderate" might even make it likely. i guess this is good news for you though, for some reason

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:07 pm

All those organizations roll into the black panthers, they are the top of the umbrella
Where does the Nation of Islam figure into this reckoning?