Politics And Current Events

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 20, 2022 10:28 am

So let's get right down to it, then. Are you against laws allowing for women to seek an abortion in a reasonable timeframe? As in, whatever week most abortions are provided at, none of this 'week 30' or 'while they're in the birth canal' horseshit.

Edit: To be more clear, would you want to take away a women's right to seek an abortion in that scenario?
I think both shad and I have been clear that the government should stay out of this. My views are more on a moral side.
Stay out of this, as in don't limit women's rights? Because that's how I take your comment, and agree with it, if so.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 20, 2022 10:30 am

So let's get right down to it, then. Are you against laws allowing for women to seek an abortion in a reasonable timeframe? As in, whatever week most abortions are provided at, none of this 'week 30' or 'while they're in the birth canal' horseshit.

Edit: To be more clear, would you want to take away a women's right to seek an abortion in that scenario?
I think both shad and I have been clear that the government should stay out of this. My views are more on a moral side.
Right, perfectly clear. "Abortion should not be used the mechanism for addressing an unwanted pregnancy in most cases. These laws are bad. Abortion is bad, women are just getting abortions because they can, they shouldn't do that, what am I being unclear about?"

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri May 20, 2022 10:30 am

depends if the father is rich and famous.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri May 20, 2022 10:35 am

Speaking of rich and famous(also not a politician)

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri May 20, 2022 10:36 am

What is a SpaceX flight attendant?

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri May 20, 2022 10:39 am

What is a SpaceX flight attendant?
SpaceX, the aerospace firm founded by Elon Musk, the world's wealthiest man, paid a flight attendant $250,000 to settle a sexual misconduct claim against Musk in 2018, Insider has learned.

The attendant worked as a member of the cabin crew on a contract basis for SpaceX's corporate jet fleet. She accused Musk of exposing his erect penis to her, rubbing her leg without consent, and offering to buy her a horse in exchange for an erotic massage, according to interviews and documents obtained by Insider.
https://www.businessinsider.com/spacex- ... 2022-5?amp

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 20, 2022 10:40 am

I wonder if he knew she liked horses or if he just assumes that everybody wants a horse.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 20, 2022 10:46 am

I like how he tried to buy twitter so he could control the narrative of sexual misconduct claims

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri May 20, 2022 10:51 am

Source of the post The vast majority of unwanted pregnancies are a result of irresponsible behavior
Assuming this is true, I guess my response is, yeah... so?
I guess just like everything else in life, try to be more responsible or deal with the consequences.

When I was 19, I had a scare with my girlfriend, and we were absolutely being irresponsible. But we were both ready to raise a child, even though we weren't ready. Fortunately it was just a scare, and I tell you what, after that I wrapped up and pulled out to be extra careful.
It's one thing to say you're going to do it, another thing to actually go through with it. Ultimately, you didn't have to make a decision. And I'm not saying that to be argumentative.

In regards to mainstreaming... is the morning after pill considered abortion? If so, I'd say yes, there has been mainstreaming. There are ads on tv for it and you can pick it up at cvs. But actual abortions? I don't see that.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 20, 2022 10:59 am

I think a horse is just an awful gift. The amount of money and care needed to house them is unreal. So impractical.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 20, 2022 11:00 am

one thing that frustrates me about all of this is how a lot of people immediately jump to “Republicans want to control womens bodies”. I’m not saying that that’s not a thing that at least some fraction of the Republican Party wants to do, but I think it’s much more of a morality play (they genuinely believe life begins at conception) than a control play. I’m completely willing to be told I’m wrong on this but I just don’t understand what’s in it for Republicans to “control” womens bodies

also this doesn’t mean that I don’t understand the “bodily autonomy” argument. I totally get it but I feel like the people who think the Repubs are doing this out of some nefarious control reason are way off base and the conversation immediately goes into shitflinging (same thing with Republicans who immediately jump to “abortion is murder!!!!!”)

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 20, 2022 11:06 am

oh and I can't **** stand how flippant anti-abortionsists are with what this means for large swaths of the population. like people in this thread said, it's not like women are getting abortions for fun. I know there are some women who don't care about it but for most women it's a significant decision that weighs on them emotionally

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri May 20, 2022 11:07 am

Claiming to be “independent” and posting a wall of partisan rhetoric doesn’t jive Geno.
There is a lot of 'how can anyone not agree with us?!?' and 'how can anyone side with them?!?' in this thread. I come in and try to offer a perspective that really is from the middle (believe it or not) about why some people really don't side with Democrats on issues that are, for Democrats, no brainers. I attempt to give y'all an example of how it's viewed from the middle, give you a real world example of how the toxicity from the left can frustrate and even anger Independents or Moderates (namely calling people who disagree with them racists when they're not). I point out that the toxicity poisons the entire political landscape, and also point out that the right does the same poop......... and it's called posting a wall of partisan rhetoric.

You guys really, really need to work on accepting criticism. It's crazy to me that 'don't be hateful' draws this much angst.

Assuming you haven't read it already, you may be interested in The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion by Jonathan Haidt, who is one of the major (but far from the only) proponents of Moral Foundations Theory, which attempts to explain why exactly different people acting reasonably and in good faith can arrive at radically different positions on contentious issues.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Fri May 20, 2022 1:23 pm

Is this supposed to be a fact?
The left wants a somewhat open border policy, amnesty for immigrants that came here illegally, and voting rights extended to them. They establish this argument as a principled view, not a political view, then attack detractors calling them racist, xenophobic, isolationists, white nationalists, etc. But that's all malarkey...their views on the issue are 100% (or at least 99%) political in nature, not principled. They aren't pushing for amnesty and voting rights based on some principled moral high ground...they want it because 80% of the millions of people in that amnesty group vote democrat and would likely flip Texas and Arizona (at least) blue. They'll twist it, saying things like 'We want this cause it's the right thing to do, and if they vote Democrat that's just a bonus'. But here's the rub...if that demographic voted 80% republican, is there anyone on the left that would support a republican administration granting amnesty or voting rights?
Edited to include complete wall of partisan rhetoric.
Are you arguing that the left doesn't want those things? I didn't say they've been implemented. 'Wants' and 'Pushing for'. Are you and others disagreeing with that premise?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 20, 2022 1:30 pm

That's not a person that interacts like a human...he's basically just a Democrat talking point fortune cookie haha - don't bother...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 20, 2022 1:39 pm

The "left" would prefer that employers that hire undocumented immigrants be punished rather than the poor souls that live in the shadows.

Remove the incentive structure and maybe you'll do better to limit the number of folks trying to cross the border.

Immigrants are predisposed to voting democrat. in fact, lots of immigrant populations are right leaning (see communist exiles), don't think we see the Democrats demanding those populations be deported.

The only segment of that population that the "left/democrats" seem to actually advocate for are the people that crossed the border as kids (aka Dreamers). I don't think it's some crass position those folks should be given citizenship.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri May 20, 2022 2:11 pm

I love tweets from braindead politicians like this:

Yawn. This is such a lame debate that I've already blown away here. You're a loser for talking about drug seizures as a bad thing, and you're a loser for thinking amount seized isn't correlated to amount that gets through. What a **** boring topic

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri May 20, 2022 2:14 pm

Source of the post The vast majority of unwanted pregnancies are a result of irresponsible behavior
Assuming this is true, I guess my response is, yeah... so?
I guess just like everything else in life, try to be more responsible or deal with the consequences.

When I was 19, I had a scare with my girlfriend, and we were absolutely being irresponsible. But we were both ready to raise a child, even though we weren't ready. Fortunately it was just a scare, and I tell you what, after that I wrapped up and pulled out to be extra careful.
Prude

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri May 20, 2022 2:18 pm

How many drugs are coming through on the backs (or up the asses) of illegals vs those coming through via truck or boat? Would a closed border (the way most pols use that term) have any real effect on the latter?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 20, 2022 2:20 pm

Source of the post I guess just like everything else in life, try to be more responsible or deal with the consequences.
Deciding to have an abortion is one way to deal with the consequences. An acceptable one, at that.
This is pretty much how I feel about it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 20, 2022 2:42 pm

How many drugs are coming through on the backs (or up the asses) of illegals vs those coming through via truck or boat? Would a closed border (the way most pols use that term) have any real effect on the latter?
The vast majority of illegal drugs either come through ports of entry or tunnels... also, don't worry about the fact that there aren't more drugs being siezed under Biden than under Trump: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/drug ... statistics

2019: 903K
2020: 1.1M
2021: 914 K

So either the amount that's being confiscated at the border is smaller than it should be because Biden is so loose on border security, or they just don't like to look at actual data when making these claims that the values of what's confiscated is huge, because it's not historically speaking.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 20, 2022 3:04 pm

Yeah, any drug seizure numbers one way or the other is incomplete and out of context w/o knowing how much made it through, how much was attempted, etc, etc. It's a dumb argument one way or the other because it's almost impossible to know.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri May 20, 2022 3:07 pm

I'll try this again.

Yawn

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:08 pm

The "left" would prefer that employers that hire undocumented immigrants be punished rather than the poor souls that live in the shadows.

Remove the incentive structure and maybe you'll do better to limit the number of folks trying to cross the border.

Immigrants are predisposed to voting democrat. in fact, lots of immigrant populations are right leaning (see communist exiles), don't think we see the Democrats demanding those populations be deported.

The only segment of that population that the "left/democrats" seem to actually advocate for are the people that crossed the border as kids (aka Dreamers). I don't think it's some crass position those folks should be given citizenship.
This is my position as well.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri May 20, 2022 3:28 pm

NO the left only wants open borders for all the illegals because they only care about votes.
-a totally independent thought