Politics And Current Events

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:31 pm

Or rather, if you say it doesnt mean anything, then why waste time complaining about it? If the talk means nothing then what's the point of any of this?
This is a garbage take that always flows one way in this thread.

We're talking about it because it's in the news.

Why should I or anyone else be silent about it?

Because if they were taking a stand you agreed with, you wouldn't be posting about it.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:11 am

Or rather, if you say it doesnt mean anything, then why waste time complaining about it? If the talk means nothing then what's the point of any of this?

Because if they were taking a stand you agreed with, you wouldn't be posting about it.
This is just nonsense on stilts.

When's the last time a corporation that benefits off slave labor taken a stand loyalist agrarianism?

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:49 am

Yeah let's not pretend Nike gives 2 shits about the name nor the labor that makes them money. They don't.

Regarding the actual renaming of the team, a family friend in DC wants them to totally rebrand red white and blue like the Caps and BulletsWizards. Rename them The Washington Generals. I like the idea. Maybe that's for the NFL thread though.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:02 am

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:17 am

NAN

Postby NAN » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:25 am

Why do we need to hear about companies' international politics thoughts when they're talking domestic?

It's two completely different spheres/lenses.
Because Nike, specifically, has defended the Chinese government. It is an international company that benefits from the equivocation.

I mean we're talking about a football team name vs. a company making money off looking the other way and keeping silent about genocide.
I've found out over the last few months libs can only focus on one thing and its the simple thing. Complexity is scary.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:28 am

This is just nonsense on stilts.

When's the last time a corporation that benefits off slave labor taken a stand loyalist agrarianism?
It’s not nonsense. I don’t remember hearing one peep (or tweet) when it was reported that our president gave China a free pass on the same issue for his own personal benefit

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:32 am

Why do we need to hear about companies' international politics thoughts when they're talking domestic?

Because Nike, specifically, has defended the Chinese government. It is an international company that benefits from the equivocation.

I mean we're talking about a football team name vs. a company making money off looking the other way and keeping silent about genocide.
I've found out over the last few months libs can only focus on one thing and its the simple thing. Complexity is scary.
The board has been overtaken by statue talk for the past two weeks by you and your ilk on here. It’s funny, that you of all people, are talking about complexity

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:35 am

One thing probably being overlooked isn’t the redskins discussion happening here: they’re not looking into their name for any altruistic reasons. They see tides turning and they’re running a cost-risk analysis. The American populace doesn’t give two sh*ts about cheap goods from China off the backs of slaves. They should, but they don’t. The general public is discussing mascots, monuments, racism, etc at the moment. The redskins are trying to figure out what gives them the most money. Change it or don’t change it.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:38 am

That’s akin to saying that in the past few months the right only cares about being selfish and ignoring police misconduct.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:42 am

Genuine question here. In an era where there are calls for so many things to be canceled (especially those that honor the Founding Father's), why does Hamilton seem to be escaping scrutiny? He was a slave trader and owner yet he (and the musical that ironically whitewashes a lot of that stuff) is the darling of the same people that want anything honoring the other Founding Fathers to be canceled.

I think I know the answer, but curious as to what yinz think. It does seem to be a touch hypocritical, no?

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:44 am

Does anyone really care what a company’s public take is on any issue? All most people care about is the quality and price of the product. If it’s good enough and cheap enough, nothing else really matters. Playing the game of pretending to care about their practices and stances is ridiculous, unless you want to boycott the product. And if you do, great. But, as is brought up every time the chick fil a stances are discussed, if you do, you’ll end up boycotting most everything when you look deep enough.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:45 am

Genuine question here. In an era where there are calls for so many things to be canceled (especially those that honor the Founding Father's), why does Hamilton seem to be escaping scrutiny? He was a slave trader and owner yet he (and the musical that ironically whitewashes a lot of that stuff) is the darling of the same people that want anything honoring the other Founding Fathers to be canceled.

I think I know the answer, but curious as to what yinz think. It does seem to be a touch hypocritical, no?
Shaf, who wants the founding fathers cancelled now? Everyone that likes Hamilton?

99.9% of the country doesn’t want the founding fathers “cancelled”. Why are we worried about what weirdo twitter personalities are pushing?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:48 am

Shaf, who wants the founding fathers cancelled now? Everyone that likes Hamilton?

99.9% of the country doesn’t want the founding fathers “cancelled”. Why are we worried about what weirdo twitter personalities are pushing?
I'm bored.... Humor me. :D

Hamilton certainly held "troubling" views on race, I was just curious why the SJW Twitter mob hasn't called for the musical to be canceled yet. I say this as a big fan of the show (didn't think I would like it tbh and was blown away).

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:52 am

The whole concept of “cancel culture” is new. I think most sane people are open to the idea of at least addressing legitimate criticisms of past historical figures. But like most things, it exists within our current pigeon brain national conscious, so we can only talk about it in extreme terms.

It’s just a long standing slipper slope argument. Yes, hordes of drunk jackasses running around the country and destroying statues is both stupid and illegal. They should stop and the people organizing this **** are not smart and should face punishment. And I assure you that these antics are not winning the hearts and minds of the center electorate, so at this point, it’s clearly being amplified to try and push people against radicals on the left and sympathetic liberals, pretty much the playbook of the 60’s

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:53 am

Hamilton certainly held "troubling" views on race, I was just curious why the SJW Twitter mob hasn't called for the musical to be canceled yet. I say this as a big fan of the show (didn't think I would like it tbh and was blown away).
Don’t start with me on Hamilton!! I watched it last night and f’ing loved it!!

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:55 am

The show is meant to embrace the molding of diversity and patriotism. It’s why liberals **** love it.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:57 am

And it’s also widely viewed as a great product. Quality means a lot.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:58 am

Just blowing off some steam, calling my governor and demanding mass murders.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:59 am

I know, I'm being lighthearted. I really liked it.

Happy Fourth of July all. Our country is messy, crazy, and beautiful and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:09 am

I know, I'm being lighthearted. I really liked it.

Happy Fourth of July all. Our country is messy, crazy, and beautiful and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else
:thumb:

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:53 am

Trump: Children are taught in school to 'hate their own country'
"The violent mayhem we have seen in our streets and cities are run by liberal Democrats in every case is the predictable result of years of extreme indoctrination and bias in education, journalism and other cultural institutions," he said. "Against every law of society and nature, our children are taught in school to hate their own country and to believe that the men and women who built it weren't heroes, but villains. The radical view of American history is a web of lies."

obhave

Postby obhave » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:11 am

Not sure anyone said it's ok. One can want both the football team to change their name and the company to stop using slave labor.
Sure. But do you really think people are going to protest and try and do something to help the plight of the sterilized, organ harvested Uighurs in China?
Since I probably have more "SJW" in my radar as friends, I can tell you they make a lot of noise about companies that do this **** (environmental, slave labor, work place standards in the US, rights of indigenous people here, Canada, and elsewhere, etc.). It's not as selective as you make it out to be.

obhave

Postby obhave » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:16 am

Why does that matter though? Does the lack of "protests" against China's treatment of those people make the football team's name any less offensive? Which is easier to fix right now?

I agree that a lot of SJW do it for Instagram likes or what have you. I see that all the time. It's painful to watch.
It's the lack of seriousness.

Nike/FedEx will flagellate themselves over an easy, no cost "stand" on the name of a football team, but when we're talking about actual, real life human beings they balk at any real action that will actually hurt.

It would be like Woolworths in 1943 standing tall against people skirting food restrictions, while supplying Hitler with all the stuff he needs and making money off Jews making cheap trinkets at Buchenwald.

Why should I listen to Steve Kerr or FedEx or whoever talk tough about Trump or Dan Snyder when they have no issue making $$$$ off Uighurs and Chinese genocide?

It makes their thoughts less than worthless.
I'll throw this out there. People in marginalized communities (LGBT, indigenous, black), will always speak out at companies that do things just for optics. It doesn't fool them that the companies are doing this to look good and not change things like hiring practices, work place standards, where they get their product from, etc. If companies want to make real change, it can't just be optics. So yes, FedEx asking to change the name is great (even though they will get the credit, even thought groups have been demanding/protesting forever to get this change), but without further change its all just optics. And I hate it.

NAN

Postby NAN » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:17 am

The board has been overtaken by statue talk for the past two weeks by you and your ilk on here. It’s funny, that you of all people, are talking about complexity
Because when we bring up stuff outside the narrow scope it gets bypassed as "something not worth talking about, only focus on the simple fix, etc etc."