Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:14 am

The pardon thing has been settled case law for over 100 years, so Sheriff Joe is a dope. I mean, he is a dope for many other reasons, too. This is just a new reason.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:17 am

Fox News
@FoxNews
.@NRA's Wayne LaPierre: Right to bear arms is "not bestowed by man but granted by God to all Americans as our American birthright." #CPAC2018

Surely there are non-believers who also own guns.

@willie kool
Yeah, not a fan of the whole God, guns and country BS - but I do agree that the RKBA is an inherent right...
Why is right to own a gun inherent, but to own a knife not? What makes a gun special? I guess that’s the question that I just can’t quite grasp the answer to... why is a gun special?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Fox News
@FoxNews
.@NRA's Wayne LaPierre: Right to bear arms is "not bestowed by man but granted by God to all Americans as our American birthright." #CPAC2018

Surely there are non-believers who also own guns.

@willie kool
Yeah, not a fan of the whole God, guns and country BS - but I do agree that the RKBA is an inherent right...
Why is right to own a gun inherent, but to own a knife not? What makes a gun special? I guess that’s the question that I just can’t quite grasp the answer to... why is a gun special?
The right is self-defense and self-determination, the right to bear arms is inherent in those rights.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Is the self defense and self determination part of the Heller interpretation?
A gun is the most effective “arm” for these things, so that makes it unique?

I know these may seem like dumb questions, but I genuinely am trying to understand my disconnect from the people who view guns in the way they do.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:09 pm

There’s nothing fundamental about a piece of technology.

Ninja edit to remove non-constructive rhetoric

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:24 pm

This goes back in English common law to the Magna Carta in regards to the tie in with self-defense, self-determination, and weapons. Shmenguin is right to say the type of weapon is not the principle, but merely the tool to ensure the principle.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:33 pm

This goes back in English common law to the Magna Carta in regards to the tie in with self-defense, self-determination, and weapons. Shmenguin is right to say the type of weapon is not the principle, but merely the tool to ensure the principle.
A guy like Guinness says this extends to rocket launchers. You?

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:35 pm

For fun:

Any restriction on any implement of self is the baseline taboo?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:39 pm

For fun:

This does seem like something you either need to go all the way with or not even bother. Stopping at firearm negates the whole argument.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:50 pm

For fun:

This does seem like something you either need to go all the way with or not even bother. Stopping at firearm negates the whole argument.
Defending the perimeter of your compound with sarin gas should be a legal option, right?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:55 pm

For fun:

Defending the perimeter of your compound with sarin gas should be a legal option, right?
If you have the means and the expertise to process, might i suggest uranium?

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:57 pm

#HRC

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:02 pm

@dodint

Trump already discussing extra pay for teachers...
Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Armed Educators (and trusted people who work within a school) love our students and will protect them. Very smart people. Must be firearms adept & have annual training. Should get yearly bonus. Shootings will not happen again - a big & very inexpensive deterrent. Up to States.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:04 pm

'up to states'

"Waitress, enjoy this fantastic, YUGE, bigly tip." *Slides check across table to whomever he invited to dine that night*

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:04 pm

Lots of companies severing ties with the NRA. This probably has at least a little significance. Not much in immediate, practical terms considering the loyalty of their members. But it’s going to take them further out of the mainstream. It’s a good thing, even if it doesn’t prevent the next shooting. I understand that it’s sort of a duty to stay loyal to that group, but even enthusiasts with their heads screwed on a little straight must get grossed out by their schtick.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:10 pm

Apologies for the all caps...

WHAT RICK GATES' GUILTY PLEA MEANS FOR MUELLER’S PROBE
https://www.wired.com/story/what-rick-g ... ssion=true

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:12 pm

Mt FIL is a lifelong law enforcement officer, and he quit the NRA sometime around Newtown. There was something specific that LaPierre said around that time (honestly don't remember if it was before or after) that really rubbed him the wrong way, and he was like, "Yeah, I'm out." He said the NRA isn't about 'me', anymore.

He owned something like two dozen guns at one point (one of his handgun safes was stolen from their home, and only a few pieces were recovered), and was a police pistol team coach, and SWAT commander, so he's no shrinking violet when it comes to firearms.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:18 pm

Mt FIL is a lifelong law enforcement officer, and he quit the NRA sometime around Newtown. There was something specific that LaPierre said around that time (honestly don't remember if it was before or after) that really rubbed him the wrong way, and he was like, "Yeah, I'm out." He said the NRA isn't about 'me', anymore.

He owned something like two dozen guns at one point (one of his handgun safes was stolen from their home, and only a few pieces were recovered), and was a police pistol team coach, and SWAT commander, so he's no shrinking violet when it comes to firearms.
I’m honestly surprised our resident enthusiasts haven’t disowned the NRA. At least in spirit. If they indeed do not have significant lobbying power, as we’ve been told, then why can’t we all join hands and at least hate 1 shared thing? I don’t think the NRA represents gun owners as a whole whatsoever. Seems like they appeal to the bottom rung lowlifes almost exclusively. We can pick peta or some lefty organization to hate to balance it out if that would help.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:23 pm

With this crowd: BLM

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:52 pm

The NRA used to be pretty single-focus, but as they started to see other one-issue groups sticking their nose into all kinds of things the NRA leadership became pretty tied into all things talk-radio conservative.

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:06 pm

There's no sense in addressing all of the non-sequitors in the anti- argument. It would be like trying to hold back the ocean with a broom... there's no fighting the anti-reason collectivist doctrine; it's successfully infected secondary and higher education to such a degree that we're seriously pondering proscriptions from 16 year olds who, though they've experienced horrors few of us can imagine, otherwise probably can't manage to balance a checkbook or properly tuck sheets in the morning.

I honestly sympathize with their situation. But I can honestly sympathize with a lot of situations... that doesn't mean anyone should listen to them when it comes to deep and far-reaching social questions like the right to self-defense, etc.

Does anyone really believe that prohibition is going to prevent the ongoing existence of firearms? ESPECIALLY in this day and age (e.g., 3D printing, etc.). The efficacy of prohibition is fairly well documented; and it really shouldn't take a degree in psychology to see that shootings are a symptom of a greater ill.

Prohibition will ONLY ensure that criminals possess firearms.

What separates firearm prohibition from narcotic prohibition is that there is CLEARLY some positive fruit to be borne from decent people possessing firearms.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:08 pm

I know some of those words in that first paragraph

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:30 pm

I don’t think anyone here has wanted gun prohibition or has the expectation that guns are going to vanish. Mostly it’s been a discussion about how to best exist with guns as a part of society.

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:40 pm

I don’t think anyone here has wanted gun prohibition or has the expectation that guns are going to vanish. Mostly it’s been a discussion about how to best exist with guns as a part of society.
Shmenguin is pretty clearly in favor of prohibition, and I'm confident if columbia was pressed he'd admit the same.

But my comment wasn't necessarily directed at either of them. I was addressing the broader social/media narrative at play currently. Particularly the bizarre current circulating that "the kids are alright".

The kids don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, as usual. And the fruit-cake notion that society (broadly speaking) should be listening to "the kids" is asinine. It's adorable as a movie plot... tho' that's the world we seem to be living in.

Pay a bill for once, then get back to me.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:44 pm

Shmenguin is pretty clearly in favor of prohibition, and I'm confident if columbia was pressed he'd admit the same.

But my comment wasn't necessarily directed at either of them. I was addressing the broader social/media narrative at play currently. Particularly the bizarre current circulating that "the kids are alright".

The kids don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, as usual. And the fruit-cake notion that society (broadly speaking) should be listening to "the kids" is asinine. It's adorable as a movie plot... tho' that's the world we seem to be living in.

Pay a bill for once, then get back to me.