Politics And Current Events

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:04 pm

It's equally problematic that RGB thought she was immortal for some reason, and then Breyer took a look at her death and said, "huh...I guess that makes MEEEEEE the immortal!!!"

space cadets, all of em. you give someone a lifetime pass for anything, and they get real weird with it pretty quickly.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:06 pm

Where I lose patience with the "but the morals of the day" argument is that it sort of sets aside the robust abolition and manumission movements in the nascent decades of the Union. How states gained admittance in pairs - one pro, one anti - in close if not simultaneous proximity to each other to preserve balance in the Senate. The question of chattel slavery was central to the early development of the nation, and so the whole "but that was then" notion just loses all steam. Because even then, it wasn't a clear thing.
yeah...how could Lee have possibly known that black people were actually people?

well...maaaaaybe the country going to war over it and that europe had already declared it pretty freaking icky means he f***ing knew, but didn't care.

just because something was in the old timey days, doesn't mean 1850 was the same as 1650.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:13 pm

Is there any reason why limiting justices to something like 10 years on the bench is a bad idea? Aren't there a plethora of qualified candidates out there who could take the jobs every decade or so?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:23 pm

I'm not entirely sure outside of bench packing (phrasing) there's anything that the (any) President can do wrt the Judiciary on a unilateral basis. The term of federal judges can be set by statute, but SCOTUS justices are defined constitutionally. So while, in a vacuum, I think practically all of us ITT can agree that term limits for judges can be useful, altering that for SCOTUS justices would, I believe, require amending the Constitution. Good luck.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:24 pm

Is there any reason why limiting justices to something like 10 years on the bench is a bad idea? Aren't there a plethora of qualified candidates out there who could take the jobs every decade or so?
The problem isn't length, candidates, or other items that have to do with the justices. The problem is how they are appointed.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:27 pm

Biden: "Hello GOP. Let's figure out a better system or we're packing the courts"

I guess the GOP, in that case, calls his bluff and if he goes through with it, it's election poison.

This stinks.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:28 pm

Where I lose patience with the "but the morals of the day" argument is that it sort of sets aside the robust abolition and manumission movements in the nascent decades of the Union. How states gained admittance in pairs - one pro, one anti - in close if not simultaneous proximity to each other to preserve balance in the Senate. The question of chattel slavery was central to the early development of the nation, and so the whole "but that was then" notion just loses all steam. Because even then, it wasn't a clear thing.
yeah...how could Lee have possibly known that black people were actually people?

well...maaaaaybe the country going to war over it and that europe had already declared it pretty freaking icky means he f***ing knew, but didn't care.

just because something was in the old timey days, doesn't mean 1850 was the same as 1650.
I'd like to agree with Mimh, and I'm pretty sure Wehrmacht soldiers werent allowed to be party members, but they knew enough about what they were doing. Drone strikes are routinely mentioned as murder, So when do we stop loving the troops for what we're doing? I'm sure there are plenty of Arabs on their own hockey fan sites wondering why we aren't being held accountable.

If someone further along in time wants to knock down GWOT memorials and a statue of Gen. Mattis, I'd completely understand.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:47 pm

Speaking of gerrymandering.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:53 pm

Speaking of gerrymandering.

You're all for this provision in the new voting rights act:
The legislation would lessen the influence of gerrymandering and require states to establish a bipartisan independent commission to redraw their congressional districts every 10 years.

Currently, a majority of states rely on their state legislatures to draw congressional lines following the census, leading to districts being disproportionately drawn and protective of either party.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 891622002/

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:55 pm

gerrymandering attempts are bipartisan. gerrymandering, in practice, is a republican issue.

the notion that there's any net benefit to the dems disqualifies you from the voting aptitude test, sadly

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:10 pm

gerrymandering attempts are bipartisan. gerrymandering, in practice, is a republican issue.

the notion that there's any net benefit to the dems disqualifies you from the voting aptitude test, sadly
There is a literal map in front of you that shows a net benefit to Dems, that will get better in 2022.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:11 pm

Do you even know what a plethora is?

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:15 pm

Do you even know what a plethora is?
:lol:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:25 pm

There is a literal map in front of you that shows a net benefit to Dems, that will get better in 2022.
The house does not reflect the American public nor do the majority of state houses - they obviously lean further right than the country as a whole.

That’s what they call a “net benefit”. But yes - the Dems are pushing for gerrymandering reform to make sure THEY behave. Yep. That’s gotta be it.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:27 pm

I got to the point of actually drawing in the breath to ask them why everything was so new before it dawned on me and I caught myself. :face:
That does go for most of the big cities due to WWII, but it's also the case that except for temples and the like, the Japanese don't really have a great attachment to buildings. Stuff gets torn down and rebuilt all the time. The Abroad in Japan YouTube channel recently ran a video on how the government in Kyoto is actually encouraging owners to tear down the traditional houses and replace them with modern houses that are more efficient and less vulnerable to fire. And that latter concern is likely the cause of the lack of attachment. Japan is vulnerable to a large variety of natural disasters, and the big cities like Edo and Kyoto regularly experienced massive fires that burned down huge swaths of the cities, so it's sort of been ingrained into Japanese culture to not get too attached to buildings because they might only be around until the next fire, earthquake, or hurricane.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:40 pm

Gerrymandering is about the closest I get to single-issue voting, but no one really champions it. I don't care who does it - R or D - it is something that shouldn't happen.

We established a non-political redistricting commission back in 2008 for first use in either 2010 or 2012. It created tension for that one cycle where there were a couple races where two incumbents were standing for reelection in the same new district. But otherwise, it's been pretty smooth sailing, and I think it should be a model as a starting point for how a similar regime should be rolled out nationwide.

And the House should also be reapportioned to have more than 435 seats. It's a big silly that the House is the same size as it was when the nation's population was 50% what it is today.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:48 pm

This is @shaftnutz05 bait.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:22 pm

Shouldve found a 1.4m house in a mostly black neighborhood.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:23 pm

Waiting for the “acshually you caaaaan own a rocket launcher if you have a permit”.
Well, you can. A rocket launcher, grenade launcher, mortar launcher, etc. would be a "destructive device" under the NFA and GCA. Those can be purchased if you go through the process. The issue isn't owning the launcher; it's finding someone who will sell you the rockets to go with it. I mean, if you want a mortar launcher to look cool sitting in the corner of your living room, you can jump through the hoops to buy one, but no military manufacturer is going to sell you mortars to launch out of it (and I believe they're legally forbidden from doing so). Lotta money and paperwork for decorations.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:43 pm

Under Heller, the 2A applies to arms that are in common use for lawful purposes. Semi-automatic rifles with detachable box magazines have been in common use for lawful purposes for more than 100 years. Hence, semi-automatic rifles with detachable box magazines are covered arms under the 2A.

People act like these guns are novel or something, but Remington introduced the Model 8 (far from the first semi-auto rifle, but the first one that was widely commercially successful) in 1905, and the AR-15 was designed in the 1950s.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:54 pm

I think human rights have existed for a few hundred thousand years, and every single gun is an example of modern technology- relatively speaking. Which makes their status as a “right” to be fundamentally absurd. IMO.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:40 pm

Guns are not the right. The right is to have access to the most effective means of self-defense. Without the right to defend one's own person and property from those who may with to aggress against said person and property, none of the other rights really matter. For that reason, the 2A is in no way limited to guns. See, e.g., Caetano v. Massachusetts, 136 S. Ct. 1027 (2016) (holding that stun guns are "bearable arms" under the 2A); District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008) (defining "arms" as any "[w]eapo[n] of offence” or “thing that a man wears for his defence, or takes into his hands,” that is carried "for the purpose of offensive or defensive action.") So if you want to go old-school and buy a mace, sword, or warhammer, be assured that those would also be covered by the 2A.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:49 pm

I think human rights have existed for a few hundred thousand years, and every single gun is an example of modern technology- relatively speaking. Which makes their status as a “right” to be fundamentally absurd. IMO.
Democratic voting has only been around since the 19th Amendment.

So I guess that "right" is fundamentally absurd as well.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:57 pm

I have no idea but wasn't democratic voting used in ancient Greece?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:06 pm

Democratic voting has only been around since the 19th Amendment.

So I guess that "right" is fundamentally absurd as well.
Oh. I don’t have a right to vote. I have the right to cast a partial vote while Wyomingers and others get extra votes. Y’all are cool with that one, of course.