In.

dodint

Politics And Current Events

Postby dodint » Sat May 18, 2019 5:40 pm

Concur.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat May 18, 2019 5:52 pm

. There is no fair or correct answer to this.
How about let the pregnant woman decide and we respect their decision.
Only for rape, incest or health of the mother. Otherwise live with the consequences or put the kid up for adoption.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat May 18, 2019 6:45 pm

Where does this image rank on the "helpful" scale?
I think If you’re going to terminate a pregnancy, it should be done sometime before the fetus becomes Governor of Alabama.
https://t.co/6QgsY2rMz7

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 18, 2019 6:49 pm

I still regret making the mistake of reading about the details of the standard second trimester "dilation and evacuation" procedure. It is one of the most horrific things I've ever read. I was feeling my unborn son kicking last night (we are 21 weeks on Monday), so it really kinda drives it home.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:08 pm

It's weird how the only people for whom this question seems 'uniquely complex' are usually guys.

That's not to say there are not super duper anti-abortion women in the world. But this tends to break along a very predictable fissure.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:12 pm

It's weird how the only people for whom this question seems 'uniquely complex' are usually guys.

That's not to say there are not super duper anti-abortion women in the world. But this tends to break along a very predictable fissure.
This is completely untrue, and a myth that has been perpetuated for ages.

A 2018 Gallup poll showed that among men it was 49-47 among all men polled in favor of pro-life. Among women, it was 48-47 with "pro choice" gaining the slight edge. In other words, there is statistically no difference between how men and women view abortion.

Pro-life women are pretty much ignored by the media and Twitter sphere. Instead we get pictures of cervixes giving the middle finger and "MY VAGINA MY CHOICE" signs. It's much easier to frame the debate as powerless women fighting against men that want to control their vaginas, though.

There are just as many pro life women as there are pro choice.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat May 18, 2019 7:13 pm

The Governor who signed the law is a woman.

I've been involved with crisis pregnancy centers in 7 states (three in the enlightened north, PA, MD, and OH) and every single one of them is majority run and staffed by women, as has been my experience at the yearly Pro-Life rally in D.C. being majority women.

Your conception is flawed.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:14 pm

That's not to say there are not super duper anti-abortion women in the world.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat May 18, 2019 7:14 pm

The Governor who signed the law is a woman.
I'll make an exception for a 299th trimester abortion for that one.

;)

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:16 pm

That's not to say there are not super duper anti-abortion women in the world.
Oh come on now :lol: Your post was implying that while there are "some" pro choice women, by and large views on abortion break down by gender. That's been proven to be untrue. The quote you are highlighting above does not remotely suggest that nearly half of all women are pro life.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat May 18, 2019 8:15 pm

So you would say no restrictions on abortion at all?

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat May 18, 2019 8:48 pm

I don't know man, I'm not in a position to say when, I'll leave that up to doctors and would hope those that are in that position are safe and responsible with it.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat May 18, 2019 9:12 pm

Tita Concepcion lives in public housing in New York and came all the way to Sioux City to confront Mayor de Blasio about the problems at @NYCHA. New Yorkers, if you want some face time with your mayor, he’ll be in South Carolina today and tomorrow morning.
https://t.co/S6AkjxTAON

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat May 18, 2019 9:17 pm

I don't know man, I'm not in a position to say when, I'll leave that up to doctors and would hope those that are in that position are safe and responsible with it.
Psh... like you can trust the experts on anything these days.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 18, 2019 9:28 pm

Psh... like you can trust the experts on anything these days.
I mean, to be fair...there are doctors that earn a profit on providing abortions. Just like dentists earn a profit on providing restorative work, or any other doctor out there. Let's not pretend that just because someone has an "M.D." in front of their name, that means they are trustworthy or "know what's best". Remember Dr. Gosnell?
Gosnell owned and operated the Women's Medical Society clinic in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and he was a prolific prescriber of OxyContin. In 2011, Gosnell and various co-defendant employees were charged with eight counts of murder, 24 felony counts of performing illegal abortions beyond the state of Pennsylvania's 24-week time limit, and 227 misdemeanor counts of violating the 24-hour informed consent law. The murder charges related to an adult patient, Karnamaya Mongar, who died following an abortion procedure, and seven newborns said to have been killed by having their spinal cords severed with scissors after being born alive during attempted abortions. In May 2013, Gosnell was convicted of first degree murder in the deaths of three of the infants and involuntary manslaughter in the death of Karnamaya Mongar. Gosnell was also convicted of 21 felony counts of illegal late-term abortion, and 211 counts of violating the 24-hour informed consent law. After his conviction, Gosnell waived his right to appeal in exchange for an agreement by prosecutors not to seek the death penalty. He was sentenced instead to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
The dude is a full-blown monster. Not every doctor is an "authority".

Hell, one of the foremost opposition doctors to the Alabama abortion law is one Dr. Yashica Robinson. This woman was interviewed on Anderson Cooper this week:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/16/opinions ... index.html

She has been lauded over the last few years as a warrior for abortions in Alabama. And yet:

https://www.oanow.com/news/crime_courts ... b2370.html
An Opelika doctor has been indicted by a federal grand jury for health care fraud, according to federal prosecutors.

Dr. Yashica Robinson-White, 38, of Opelika was recently indicted by a federal grand jury for health care fraud totaling over $60,000 and for introducing misbranded drugs into interstate commerce. The indictment was handed down April 24, but was sealed until Wednesday.

The six-count indictment, which was filed in U.S. District Court, charges Robinson-White with committing health care fraud through the Alabama Women’s Wellness Center, her OB-GYN practice that provided birth control services to patients in east Alabama.

The indictment alleges that between November 2010 and April 2012, Robinson-White intentionally defrauded Alabama Medicaid by fraudulently billing the organization $60,300 for misbranded birth control devices known as intrauterine devices that came through a provider in Great Neck, N.Y. The indictment listed at least five Medicaid patients that had allegedly been administered the misbranded IUDs, which had not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration and were cheaper than legal IUDs.
No mention of this indictment by Anderson Cooper or anyone else. The conclusion is unknown. But again, my point is, just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean we should trust them unequivocally.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat May 18, 2019 9:34 pm

I’m looking at this is more philosophical terms than legal terms. So when someone says, “no abortion should ever be allowed” or “any abortion should be allowed” I just wonder how people arrive at that conclusion.

To me, the rape, incest, health are no brainers. If one doesn’t allow abortion in these cases, the life of the mother is being put in a secondary position. Other situations are more difficult, in my mind.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat May 18, 2019 9:34 pm

See?!??! You can’t even trust doctors these days!!!

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat May 18, 2019 9:37 pm

I’m pretty sure the “experts” referred to are the ones who decide how at risk the life of the mother is. It’s no surprise there are shitty doctors. There are shitty people in all professions. That doesn’t mean they should be ignored, or their opinions not valued.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Sat May 18, 2019 9:42 pm

I’m pretty sure the “experts” referred to are the ones who decide how at risk the life of the mother is. It’s no surprise there are shitty doctors. There are shitty people in all professions. That doesn’t mean they should be ignored, or their opinions not valued.
Brah, you don’t get it. If we can’t take the worst of the profession and apply their work to the entirety of that field, then what are we even doing here?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat May 18, 2019 9:45 pm

Brah, you don’t get it. If we can’t take the worst of the profession and apply their work to the entirety of that field, then what are we even doing here?
This is the same argument made as to why we need draconian gun laws. "Sure, 99.9999999% of gun owners are not shooting up schools, but if we make scary looking guns illegal we'll all be safe."

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Sat May 18, 2019 9:47 pm

It’s not, but okay.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat May 18, 2019 9:55 pm

It’s not, but okay.
The statistically anomalous worst examples are taken as the argument for making gun laws "stronger".

How's that different?

Though on the actual topic we have folks arguing over a likewise statistic anomoly for exceptions. Incest and rape are <1% of abortions.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Sat May 18, 2019 10:00 pm

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat May 18, 2019 10:09 pm

What does Dave Concepcion have to do with it?