Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:24 pm

I assume Palestinians in Israeli controlled territories are not citizens, so they don’t count.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:40 pm

This is the most attention SNL has received since Phoebe Bridgers dared to smash her guitar.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:49 am

Looks like the administration isn't ready to throw Cuomo under the bus... Yet.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:51 am

Errybody offended... now you offended too.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:04 am

In other news:

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:22 am

I found this really interesting at first and tried to look at some numbers. I settled on total votes in the 2020 presidential election because we don’t know if all (R) or all (D) or 3rd parties voted in the party line so IMO it made sense to go percent of total.

PA had approximately 6.9 million people vote in the 2020 pres. election. 19k of those comes to 0.275 percent.

Total votes in the country were approximately 160 million. If PA’s data scales that’s about 450k leaving the GOP across the country.

While I thought that was interesting I think we can’t assume they’re going to vote for a (D) or 3rd party. With no basis to back this assertion IMO people leaving the GOP are a conglomerate of people leaving because the party no longer represents their exact interests, MAGA supporters that view the GOP as traitors, and some people that were already more middle of the road and may switch their party vote.

Given that assertion I’m not sure this “defection” from the GOP really has a big impact either way.

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/penns ... 10222.html

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:35 am

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:35 am

Biden wins Pennsylvania again.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:51 am

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:53 am

Biden wins Pennsylvania again.
I bet Sleepy Joe is tired of all of this winning.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:54 am

Change that to releasing them to the public and I’d be happy. Grand juries are notoriously fickle and can choose to bring charges or not based on well the way the wind blows. (Not a lawyer, grossly oversimplified that description, please don’t trample down)

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:57 am

Not that I disagree but the public won't understand one iota of them and make big deals over inconsequential sht

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:29 am

I can't believe it took this long and he was under "audit" all this time, lmao.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:31 am

I bet there are probably a few others, too.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:32 am

Not that I disagree but the public won't understand one iota of them and make big deals over inconsequential sht
It's not that complex. He overvalued his assets to get loans and he undervalued his assets to cut his tax liabilities.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:42 am

It's not that complex. He overvalued his assets to get loans and he undervalued his assets to cut his tax liabilities.
which wouldn't show up anywhere on his tax return

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:44 am

which wouldn't show up anywhere on his tax return
It's part of the story though. Wouldn't the undervalued assets be reflected on his tax return?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 am

no

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:52 am

Exhibit A

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:53 am

It's an income tax return. Not a financial statement

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:54 am

Also not included on tax returns, a line item with the instructions PLEASE ENTER THE AMOUNT OF OUTSTANDING LOANS FROM RUSSIANS

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:06 am

A GOP wing of the SCOTUS is compromised/anti-democracy. We already knew this. But it’s good to clear up the ambiguity. Thomas is obviously a complete hack. Combine this with Kavanaugh’s conspiracy-riddled behavior at his hearing and his pre-election favor to MAGA by releasing that completely in accurate statement about elections being decided on election night, and it starts to crystallize.

Roberts plays the role of grown up, while giving cover to Thomas, Alito and Kavanaugh to support bad faith, right wing rulings that won’t go so far to actually trigger catastrophe, but far enough that we crawl in that direction.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:18 am

Also not included on tax returns, a line item with the instructions PLEASE ENTER THE AMOUNT OF OUTSTANDING LOANS FROM RUSSIANS
IIRC that's why the SNDY hired forensic accounting experts a few weeks ago. It's interesting, because I would assume that Cohen provided something that tipped them off to dig into this.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:21 am

A GOP wing of the SCOTUS is compromised/anti-democracy. We already knew this. But it’s good to clear up the ambiguity. Thomas is obviously a complete hack. Combine this with Kavanaugh’s conspiracy-riddled behavior at his hearing and his pre-election favor to MAGA by releasing that completely in accurate statement about elections being decided on election night, and it starts to crystallize.

Roberts plays the role of grown up, while giving cover to Thomas, Alito and Kavanaugh to support bad faith, right wing rulings that won’t go so far to actually trigger catastrophe, but far enough that we crawl in that direction.

Not sure where we go from here. The SCOTUS is thoroughly compromised and incapable of ruling on political matters. To pretend that the court is anything but a rubber stamp for partisan arguments is just proof that you are a hack, or that because the court is capable of ruling appropriately on benign matters erases out the clearly partisan nature of their rulings on charged matters.

Unfortunately we're in a place where agreeing on basic objective reality is impossible. A tacit agreement that the court is partisan would be the first step (yes, the liberal justices are partisan too). Understanding this, we need a more stable means for resolving political issues than putting things in front of a court of Yale hacks.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:27 am

Not sure where we go from here. The SCOTUS is thoroughly compromised and incapable of ruling on political matters. To pretend that the court is anything but a rubber stamp for partisan arguments is just proof that you are a hack, or that because the court is capable of ruling appropriately on benign matters erases out the clearly partisan nature of their rulings on charged matters.

Unfortunately we're in a place where agreeing on basic objective reality is impossible. A tacit agreement that the court is partisan would be the first step (yes, the liberal justices are partisan too). Understanding this, we need a more stable means for resolving political issues than putting things in front of a court of Yale hacks.
This reads as if SC ruled in favor of Trump. What am I missing? There hasn't been any real surprises despite the "lean" of the court. I don't follow it nor do I spend any waking time thinking about it so it's possible there have been rulings.

Is it because it wasn't 9-0 and I'm reading too much into it?