Politics And Current Events

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:44 am

If it was a white teenaged girl with her graduation tassels hanging from the rear mirror, in a car nice enough to imply her parents could afford a lawyer...is there a traffic stop in that situation? A more interesting question.

And it’s dumb/dangerous to hang things from the mirror, and should be against the law. But throw a 20 dollar ticket through the window and go about your day.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:00 am

If it was a white teenaged girl with her graduation tassels hanging from the rear mirror, in a car nice enough to imply her parents could afford a lawyer...is there a traffic stop in that situation? A more interesting question.

And it’s dumb/dangerous to hang things from the mirror, and should be against the law. But throw a 20 dollar ticket through the window and go about your day.
But that's not why he was pulled over. He had expired tags.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:16 am

Does expired tags really warrant a traffic stop though in all honesty? I mean you run the plates they are expired, you send a fine and letter in the mail saying to get your **** updated. Expired tags do no harm other than the state not getting money on a yearly basis.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:22 am

Does expired tags really warrant a traffic stop though in all honesty? I mean you run the plates they are expired, you send a fine and letter in the mail saying to get your **** updated. Expired tags do no harm other than the state not getting money on a yearly basis.
Gotta stop them to see if you have your insurance on you, your license and registration, etc. That way, you can write up multiple tickets and fill that quota.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:40 am

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:50 am

Yikes

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:51 am

Gotta stop them to see if you have your insurance on you, your license and registration, etc. That way, you can write up multiple tickets and fill that quota.
I loathe traffic/speeding stops. There is IMO no greater waste of tax dollars by the police than running speed traps and forcing working people to pay fines they probably can’t afford. Go catch criminals, not soccer moms.

And STFU about the random times you found an ounce an ounce of weed. A monkey throwing darts at different license plates would have the same success rate.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:56 am

expired tags are more understandable than the air freshener imo. i've been pulled over for late inspection. dumb, but it happens. keep your sht up to date

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:31 am

I don't know. I've seen where accidents and stuff have happened where people are driving vehicles that have no business being on the road, putting others in danger as well. I've been pulled over due to missing my inspection.

I mean, the other side of the coin is if you are doing nothing wrong outside of having expired plates, typically you just get your ticket and move on. The dude had a warrant, and then tried to run. Doesn't mean he should end up dead. I wouldn't be putting any of the blame on the initial pull over.

It's part of the rules right now, you need your annual inspection.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:33 am

I loathe traffic/speeding stops. There is IMO no greater waste of tax dollars by the police than running speed traps and forcing working people to pay fines they probably can’t afford. Go catch criminals, not soccer moms.

And STFU about the random times you found an ounce an ounce of weed. A monkey throwing darts at different license plates would have the same success rate.
So you don't mind if someone is flying around 80mph in a 40mph zone, or in a neighborhood and putting other drivers and citizens in danger? You know how you don't pay those fines? Follow the speed limit.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:34 am

So you don't mind if someone is flying around 80mph in a 40mph zone, or in a neighborhood and putting other drivers and citizens in danger? You know how you don't pay those fines? Follow the speed limit.
That's an extreme example, though. I'm pretty sure that PB is talking about reasonable examples, like 10 over. School zones are also exceptions to that, IMO. Pull them over.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:37 am

That's an extreme example, though. I'm pretty sure that PB is talking about reasonable examples, like 10 over. School zones are also exceptions to that, IMO. Pull them over.
Most of the times cops won't even pull you over for going 10 over.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:38 am

Most of the times cops won't even pull you over for going 10 over.
I wish that were the case on this side of the state...

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:42 am

I don't know. I've seen where accidents and stuff have happened where people are driving vehicles that have no business being on the road, putting others in danger as well. I've been pulled over due to missing my inspection.

I mean, the other side of the coin is if you are doing nothing wrong outside of having expired plates, typically you just get your ticket and move on. The dude had a warrant, and then tried to run. Doesn't mean he should end up dead. I wouldn't be putting any of the blame on the initial pull over.

I guess when I said tags I meant registration. That has nothing to do with inspection, but I get your point.

I agree it's part of the rules right now, but I still think it just makes interactions more frequent with law enforcement that don't need to happen.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:43 am

@DigitalGypsy66 :pop:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:44 am

Speaking of registration, wasn't there a story from a month or so ago from a PA politician who wanted to bring back the stickers? A pure money grab.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:51 am

@DigitalGypsy66 :pop:
:fist:

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:56 am

Also if you get a ticket for an expired registration, usually if you take care of it right away you can get the fine thrown out. Been there...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:58 am

But I also think pulling people over for expired registration is wasteful. Have it be an add on to an already pulled person for a moving violation. If they're a dick.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:59 am

Honest question, where did the entire air freshner thing come from? I saw someone tweet it, didn't see it anywhere else, and then saw it on here this morning.

Maybe that's why they pulled him out of the car? (which if he put it up right after he got pulled over and if they smelled weed, makes sense IMO, just like pulling someone out for drinking if they smell it). But in the actual reports, it was the expired tags that was the original reason he was pulled over.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:00 am

If traffic stops prevented what you’re describing I’d be totally okay with them. They don’t. You get caught speeding Monday and by Wednesday you’re right back to it.

As others said, school zones and various other 1-offs make sense. Two troopers sitting at the same speed trap on the turnpike does not. Instead of running traffic out the time to use strengthening community bonds. Visit schools more often. Give demonstrations. Do charity work with the community. That approach solves a lot of the distrust issues.

Most police stations do the bare minimum to integrate with the community they police. Why is that?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:00 am

Typically tags/inspection aren't a primary offense. You don't get pulled over for them, but if you're pulled over for something else they'll fine you for that too. I literally don't get the air freshener hanging from the rear view hate either, I've seen dozens of people hang their masks there as well. I can't imagine that being some huge unsafe distraction.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:02 am

Honest question, where did the entire air freshner thing come from? I saw someone tweet it, didn't see it anywhere else, and then saw it on here this morning.

Maybe that's why they pulled him out of the car? (which if he put it up right after he got pulled over and if they smelled weed, makes sense IMO, just like pulling someone out for drinking if they smell it). But in the actual reports, it was the expired tags that was the original reason he was pulled over.
I think he was on the phone with his mother after being pulled over and told his mother that is what was happening?

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:12 am

Typically tags/inspection aren't a primary offense. You don't get pulled over for them, but if you're pulled over for something else they'll fine you for that too. I literally don't get the air freshener hanging from the rear view hate either, I've seen dozens of people hang their masks there as well. I can't imagine that being some huge unsafe distraction.
Meh, I've seen the police pull over numerous people at the entrance/exit of the Butler exit of the turnpike for expired inspections/tags. The cop just sits there and when you slow down going through the toll booth, they are looking. I know this because I've seen them do it numerous times, and I've happened to be one of them. And that was my only "crime" if you will. :cry:

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:15 am

If traffic stops prevented what you’re describing I’d be totally okay with them. They don’t. You get caught speeding Monday and by Wednesday you’re right back to it.

As others said, school zones and various other 1-offs make sense. Two troopers sitting at the same speed trap on the turnpike does not. Instead of running traffic out the time to use strengthening community bonds. Visit schools more often. Give demonstrations. Do charity work with the community. That approach solves a lot of the distrust issues.

Most police stations do the bare minimum to integrate with the community they police. Why is that?
How do you know it's not preventing more accidents? Most of the accidents that do occur on the turnpike and other highways are due to speed. There may have been many more prevented due to a cop sitting in the same spot. I don't have sympathy for people having to pay a fine for speeding or anything preventable. It's an easy thing to avoid.

As for your second point, I agree they can get more involved with their communities. A lot of departments do, but a lot of departments don't. But that is not an end all be all either. There are still bad people out there.