Politics And Current Events

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:27 pm

That it doesn't matter if its quotes from Rich Lowry or the neckbeards over at Vox. It doesnt make being on the edge of facism any more true.
I think though that the sentiment being expressed here encapsulates the impeachment drama. When the justification boils down for the acceptance of the breakdown in the separation of powers to keeping the opposition party down, then you're leaning in to fascism. At least that's how I see it, I haven't seen anyone bring up fascism regarding it.
If what you believe is a step towards fascism, then we would already be fascist by now with all the abuses of power.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:34 pm

Oh well if the good people over at vox.com believe were on the edge of facism that changes everything!
That is a direct quote from an editor at the national review. The article is a discussion with Rich Lowery.

Good talk.

That still means jack ****.

You might find 1 in 100,000 people that actually even give that a seconds worth of thought if you ask anyone besides journos and twitter.

Same with the impeachment. I can't think of single instance I've heard someone in real life even mention anything about Trump outside of this thread and social media.
You’ve never heard someone talk about trump? That strains credulity.

Unprovoked? No. Not even in a casual "current events" type of conversation. If I've been somewhere and he's on tv, sure. But even then no one ever seems to give an ounce of a crap. And I hang out with plenty of people who I know hate him. And with this impeachment I just don't see anyone offline spending any energy on it. I even work with people who have to deal and adjust and talk about tariffs. Never heard his name once in 3 years.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Interesting. I go out of my way to not talk about politics irl, unless it’s someone I know well, and it comes up a decent amount.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:00 pm

If what you believe is a step towards fascism, then we would already be fascist by now with all the abuses of power.
We are. Have been since the '63 coup.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:02 pm

Interesting. I go out of my way to not talk about politics irl, unless it’s someone I know well, and it comes up a decent amount.
Yeah... I find that hard to believe NP. I understand that my experience =/= everyone's experience, but it's hard for me to take you at your word on that one. Maybe you just work at a place with a much, much different culture than I do.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:09 pm

Politics come up never when I'm off a computer or the news. Family, friends, workers, never hear anything. I also don't ever talk about it so that might have something to do with it.

I have to look up who 75% of the people are that are brought up in this thread because I honestly have no idea.

I'll be honest, based on how some get so riled up on here, twitter, facebook, etc, I'm glad it is the way it is. Don't have time to be that angry.

Ted

Postby Ted » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:13 pm

Half the country doesn’t vote and of those that do, most probably don’t even know who/what they are voting for, nor do they care after Election Day.

I’d be surprised if more than 5% of the country gave a **** about what is going on in Washington, despite their best attempts to seem really, really important and the media’s attempt to also make it seem so.

Everyone’s day goes on either way regardless of what happens in shithole DC.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Ignorance is bliss.

Ted

Postby Ted » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:34 pm

Or people have jobs, kids, hobbies, vacations, and various other ways they spend enjoying their time rather than worrying daily that the country is on the precipice of disaster.

I’ll assume your comment was not directed at me personally. If I’m wrong, let me know.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:01 pm

George Mason law professor Ilya Somin has written pretty extensively on the topic of political ignorance, and he has a book out on the subject:

While ignorance is a problem when it comes to the functioning of government, for a lot of people it's perfectly rational. (Note: "ignorance" in this context does not mean stupidity; it just means being uninformed). It takes a fair amount of time and effort to stay informed about that the vast amount of government in this country is doing. Indeed, to keep completely up to date with the actions and functioning of every level of local, state, and federal governments would probably be a full-time job. Most people don't have the time. And the impact of a single vote on any level of government is minuscule, so there's not really any reward for making the effort.

Here's an interview too:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaredmeyer ... 2811247ff1

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Yeah... I find that hard to believe NP. I understand that my experience =/= everyone's experience, but it's hard for me to take you at your word on that one. Maybe you just work at a place with a much, much different culture than I do.

I spit the truth

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Whoever runs Dan Rather's Twitter account doesn't know how knock, knock jokes work.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Or people have jobs, kids, hobbies, vacations, and various other ways they spend enjoying their time rather than worrying daily that the country is on the precipice of disaster.

I’ll assume your comment was not directed at me personally. If I’m wrong, let me know.
It wasn’t. But there’s a middle ground. I don’t view discussing current events, trump or not, as burdensome.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:02 pm

I just. I don't know lol

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:08 pm

Chris Cuomo and DJT, Jr must have gone to the same school of Nepotism.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:28 pm

Inspector General Michael Horowitz’s report, which will be released on Dec. 9, will broadly “refute accusations of a political conspiracy by senior law enforcement officials against the Trump campaign to favor Democrat Hillary Clinton, while also knocking the bureau for procedural shortcomings,” according to WaPo. The publication cited two anonymous U.S. officials who are in the know.
The IG’s review will reportedly also say that both the opening of an investigation into Papadopoulos and application for surveillance of Carter Page were justified.
And
Aside from the document alteration allegation, the Post reports, Horowitz is expected to shame the FBI for “systemic failures in its handling of surveillance applications” and recommend reforms. The former FBI lawyer, who was ousted from the bureau after the alleged alteration was discovered, is said to be the “most significant” case the IG report produced, even though others individuals did not escape criticism.
An anonymous individual said to be familiar with Horowitz’s investigation stated the obvious: “You can see how the warring factions will seize on the various parts of this to advance their respective narratives.”

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:35 pm

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:45 pm

Tillerson: "**** moron"

is my favorite.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:52 pm

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:27 pm

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:34 pm

Inspector General Michael Horowitz’s report, which will be released on Dec. 9, will broadly “refute accusations of a political conspiracy by senior law enforcement officials against the Trump campaign to favor Democrat Hillary Clinton, while also knocking the bureau for procedural shortcomings,” according to WaPo. The publication cited two anonymous U.S. officials who are in the know.
The IG’s review will reportedly also say that both the opening of an investigation into Papadopoulos and application for surveillance of Carter Page were justified.
And
Aside from the document alteration allegation, the Post reports, Horowitz is expected to shame the FBI for “systemic failures in its handling of surveillance applications” and recommend reforms. The former FBI lawyer, who was ousted from the bureau after the alleged alteration was discovered, is said to be the “most significant” case the IG report produced, even though others individuals did not escape criticism.
An anonymous individual said to be familiar with Horowitz’s investigation stated the obvious: “You can see how the warring factions will seize on the various parts of this to advance their respective narratives.”
Both sidesism disease. What the hell narrative are. I assume the democrats. going to seize on?

Trump lackeys - there was a long reaching conspiracy to undermine the trump candidacy, perpetrated by pro Clinton forces in the FBI.

Other people - no there wasn’t.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:15 pm

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:36 pm

This dude can’t be on these committees. Seems like it’s a major conflict of interest now.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:54 pm

And by on the committees, I mean testifying.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:07 pm

I would ignore Parnas, he seems desperate for congress to give him immunity, which is not something they should do.