Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:01 pm

We already knew Trump was a POS. If this was just done to recover sensitive material and Trump faces zero repercussions, he waltzes into the White House. Should be fun.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:10 pm

Was that tweet already deleted?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:19 pm

I would hope that the FBI did their due diligence with this stuff and didn't half-ass it. I would also speculate they need to identify exactly what the problem was officially, and all that stuff.

People believe it's a sham already, but the FBI shouldn't add to the idea.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:21 pm

The FBI, led by a pissbaby-appointed guy.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:21 pm

The same people who were voting for Trump in 2024 before the FBI raid are the same people that will be voting for him after the raid. I doubt this moves the needle in his favor that much if charges aren't ultimately brought up.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:25 pm

Right. Unless it's for a criminal matter (in which it's "we can't comment on an ongoing investigation"), they need to come out stating that the retention of classified documents was not being handled appropriately and every effort was made to deal with the situation in cooperation with Trump's team but it became apparent that the matter could not be solved to their mutual satisfaction.

I mean, even if that's all it is I don't see how a guy who crowed Lock Her Up over the use of a personal email server can complain about having classified material taken back when he was just as if not more careless.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:26 pm

He'll just yell about Biden not doing anything about Hillary.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:27 pm

Twitter is apparently down, so that's one positive for the day.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:32 pm

Not down for me...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:33 pm

Yeah, it's back up now.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:45 pm

Why does anyone think this affects the presidency positively for trump? There’s no one who isn’t full MAGA that thinks trump is a victim here. I would guess more people who are normal Republicans, the ones that are left, would use this as more of a reason that Trump is awful.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:46 pm

But they will gladly give DeSantis their vote.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:49 pm

Why does anyone think this affects the presidency positively for trump? There’s no one who isn’t full MAGA that thinks trump is a victim here. I would guess more people who are normal Republicans, the ones that are left, would use this as more of a reason that Trump is awful.
The thinking would be that this fills the Trump hog sloth and gets the rural hordes more excited to vote.
Last edited by Troy Loney on Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:49 pm

But they will gladly give DeSantis their vote.
This

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:55 pm

Also:

One pundit explained that some of the docs are so sensitive that they couldn't even be explained in any sort of detail on the warrant.

*ooooooooooooh_spooky.gif*

Others have indicated that one of the documents in question was a letter Trump received from Kim Jong-Un. Which if true, allow me to speak for THE LEFT in proclaiming the utter hilarity of the prospect of the Al Capone's taxes playbook run in nabbing this guy over such a petty theft.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:56 pm

How does it “seem” like that?
Not sure why you're mocking me... I just don't see how sharing an opinion or an observation is "spreading misinformation"
It seems like this was authorized by a local judge and a particular FBI office without buy-in or notification of higher levels of government. But literally no one will believe that or make a distinction. It’s probably bureaucratic but it seems political.
Note use of the word "seems" twice and then continue being hilarious

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:56 pm

:lol:
:thumb:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:58 pm

Oh yes we have an emoji-off

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:59 pm

Agreed - this might not move the needle but if it does its going to hurt not help him.

It's quite the phenomenon how people just decide its a hoax without access to a single detail of what happened. Not unexpected, but a phenomenon just the same

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:00 pm

I'm kind of laughing at the folks who were hellbent on "BuT hEr EmAiLs!" had 4 years to do something, and didn't - but then this guy is doing nearly exactly the same thing with paper copies, and all they've done was raid him to take them back so far.

He hasn't had to sit through endless hours of hearings, and interviews. He just had to give documentation back. I honestly hope he was trying to sell the information so they have proof and can just pound him into the ground.
I also don't think people actually know what happened with the Hillary thing.

She claims that she had some sort of independent counsel review her emails for government work related ones, and handed copies of those over to the records archives. She claims the others were personal and scrubbed them. As far as I can tell, this would be like telling your company that aren't going to use their email and instead demand to conduct your work through your private email. I guess my point is, they couldn't really prove that she didn't comply with the record keeping requirements, and only that she was conducting government business on a non-government server, so a security concern. I believe that's why Comey did that show press-conference to scold her for being careless. (also why it was funny to hear all those stories come out during the Trump admin where Kushner and Meadows and all were using their private email on the job)

But really, the only people that should be shamed for the whole Clinton email story are the serious journalists that treated the issue as anything more than a campaign hit story. I don't blame the GOP or Trump for blasting that attack out, that's campaigning, the media took the bait, one that the GOP was attacking in good faith as opposed to just politicking, and talking themselves into believing this story. And of course Comey, who didn't just **** up once with the press conference, but royally **** up with that "reopening" of the investigation.
This whole post reads to me as a pretty massive underselling of the private server endeavor. It's not "oh pooh, everyone uses their work for private stuff" kind of fluff; no one cares if the US Secretary of State uses a .gov email address to book a massage. There were potentially serious shenanigans going on, and it's hard to conclude there was no 'intent' behind the shielding actions when they had their own private hardware to run things. BUT......... that was ultimately the conclusion of the FBI, and that must be recognized.

Second, as I saw things the problem with Comey was the opposite of how you characterize it. If he had convened the press and simply said, "We've concluded our investigation and will not be filing charges," that would've been it. (At least as far as his involvement was concerned) But instead he spent half an hour in full pontification mode, chastising Clinton and her staff for their carelessness; for that to end with "lol jk" was kind of head scratchy. Reopening the investigation was a matter of necessity. After the press conference he was called before Congress and provided sworn testimony as to his findings, conclusions, and decisions. When the Wiener laptop (ugh) surfaced and indicated the potential existence of correspondence that wasn't captured in that initial investigation, that testimony was now inaccurate and had to be corrected via a renewed investigation. And since the original investigation was disclosed (against longstanding DOJ policy, but in recognition that longstanding DOJ policy wasn't crafted around a criminal investigation subject who was a former SecState and current front-runner to be POTUS), that necessitated disclosure of the reopening.

The past six or so years have seen our institutions of government and justice tested in ways that were not ever really been contemplated before. Errors in confronting those realities were made all across the board, and I can only hope that if given a do-over people would recognize the gravity of their situation and rise up accordingly long before it got to this.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:01 pm

It's quite the phenomenon how people just decide its a hoax without access to a single detail of what happened. Not unexpected, but a phenomenon just the same
What if it "seems" like a hoax though?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:06 pm

This whole post reads to me as a pretty massive underselling of the private server endeavor. It's not "oh pooh, everyone uses their work for private stuff" kind of fluff; no one cares if the US Secretary of State uses a .gov email address to book a massage. There were potentially serious shenanigans going on, and it's hard to conclude there was no 'intent' behind the shielding actions when they had their own private hardware to run things. BUT......... that was ultimately the conclusion of the FBI, and that must be recognized.

I don't disagree, and didn't mean to poo poo anything. Just that the premise of the Clinton thing was the use of the private server, and that in her mind, she was complying with the records requirements. Really just kind of silly that she was allowed to do that, and yet, there were multiple stories that folks in the next white house were using their private email. Granted it's not a private server, its' still in the same vein as Hillary's antics.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:07 pm

Oh yes we have an emoji-off

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:32 pm

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:33 pm

What a cuck.