Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:24 am

Vocal majority, actual minority.
When 60% of the GOP still believes the election was stolen I'm not so sure they are the minority.
response bias

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:28 am

I think the GOP might need another defeat before they're willing to move on from Trump. Maybe that's 2022 or maybe that's Trump 2024, I don't know. Hopefully the former. 2020 might be seen as a fluke right now (or "stolen") so they're still hitching their wagon to Team Trump.
I agree with this. I still don't think Trump, or any Trump will run in 2024. It's still only 2 month's after the "big steal" so people are still all on board from the far right side. And people like MTG, etc still have a voice. But I believe, and also hope that will fade away. We'll see, I can be completely wrong.
It won't fade. The media won't let it.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:30 am

Vocal majority, actual minority.
When 60% of the GOP still believes the election was stolen I'm not so sure they are the minority.
I dont buy this statistic. I know you're not making it up but I would really question the entity who ran/published it

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:31 am

Wonder what ever happened to NP. He wasn't banned...
1/6, probably

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:31 am

I don't know if it's 60 but it's not like the NP types that believe it are some immaterial little subset of people

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:33 am

Watched parts of Dan Crenshaw's episode of Joe Rogan (specifically talking about Covid). Whhhoooooooo buddy, I don't think I've seen anyone just calmly say so many wrong things with a straight face and full confidence. That guy is a nut job.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:34 am

NP is probably sort of mild mannered in real life. he's probably like your Trumpy father in law, but he knows how to use the internet.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:35 am

I'm registered non partisan and have voted for one election in my life. My single vote went to Joseph Robinette Biden Jr.

Just because I think the "covid" stimulus is a bunch of unsustainable poppycock that is going to eventually cause pain to us all does not mean i'm a GOP.

I'm about a month behind in reading the newspaper, and the other day I came across an article about what Trumpism means based on Trump's speech at the CPAC convention or whatever. His speech gave a few pillars of Trumpism:

Protectionsim in trade
Lower taxes
Fewer regulations
Strong border control
second amendment rights
and some other stuff

Personally I'm for fewer regulations (anyone who spends any time in life dealing with the regulatory apparatus in this country realizes it sucks and there has to be a better way). I'm for lower taxes and I don't understand why democrats at this point aren't for them, either. Nothing, and the rock means nothing, will be able to pay for the trillions of covid stimulus and "infrastructure" bill that biden is pitching, so why bother raising taxes other than to make a political statement? A tax increase from 21% to 27% for corporations and a few extra percent on individuals is just pissing in the wind. If you believe in MMT, why not just say **** it, cut taxes and let people keep their money.
Last edited by MrKennethTKangaroo on Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:35 am

Your mom is infrastructure.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:35 am

I don't know if it's 60 but it's not like the NP types that believe it are some immaterial little subset of people
Yeah, I guess I'm verbalizing it wrong. I do think there are a lot that believe in the Big Steal. But, at least from my interactions that fit the mold, they are moving on with life and just hope no one steals their guns. They are not planning some revolution or are up in arms about it as much as some think and just want to go back to drinking beer and shooting animals.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:37 am

Also this stuff is asinine.

How about you focus on 100% of your pilots being competent regardless of their their ethnicities or physical traits?

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:04 am

Love how they want to dictate who should vote, get married, etc...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:07 am

I think the GOP might need another defeat before they're willing to move on from Trump. Maybe that's 2022 or maybe that's Trump 2024, I don't know. Hopefully the former. 2020 might be seen as a fluke right now (or "stolen") so they're still hitching their wagon to Team Trump.
I agree with this. I still don't think Trump, or any Trump will run in 2024. It's still only 2 month's after the "big steal" so people are still all on board from the far right side. And people like MTG, etc still have a voice. But I believe, and also hope that will fade away. We'll see, I can be completely wrong.
When MTG raises that much money in a quarter, I can guarantee her voice is not only not going to fade, it's feeling empowered that the **** she is spewing is right.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:11 am

How about you focus on 100% of your pilots being competent regardless of their their ethnicities or physical traits?

it's bananas when elite professional positions cram in diversity like this. this isn't Puddle Jumper, Inc. It's a major airline one of the most prestigious gigs for pilots. maybe focus on diversity in flight schools, so that the big sprawling industry can more reflect society. but United Air should take the best and leave the rest to the charter planes and whatnot.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:18 am

it's bananas when elite professional positions cram in diversity like this. this isn't Puddle Jumper, Inc. It's a major airline one of the most prestigious gigs for pilots. maybe focus on diversity in flight schools, so that the big sprawling industry can more reflect society. but United Air should take the best and leave the rest to the charter planes and whatnot.
Bingo. Solid post.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:26 am

When MTG raises that much money in a quarter, I can guarantee her voice is not only not going to fade, it's feeling empowered that the **** she is spewing is right.
We'll see. That quarter was during the height of the Big Steal and the immediate aftermath. You may be right though. Only time will tell.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:28 am

Yep, agree, and this goes for anything. I agree you can make it more open in the flight schools, or <insert whatever> to open the door for indiviuals of all races, genders, etc. But when that plane goes up in the air, I want the best of the best, regardless of age, race, gender, or whatever.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:30 am

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:31 am

i don't really know why every pilot i can remember having is a dude, though. are there institutional obstacles or is it just another thing where the person who makes babby can't really have a certain kind of job without some real personal dilemmas to face, balancing motherhood and work?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:33 am

You guys seem worried UA won't find enough competent women and POCs to fly their planes.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:35 am

You guys seem worried UA won't find enough competent women and POCs to fly their planes.
Yes....?

Shmenguin pointed out why though. And I think it's valid.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:45 am

They very well may. Shouldn't be a forced number though just because.

Hell, maybe it will work out to where 75% of the best pilots are POC, women, or anything but a white male.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:49 am

The key phrase is "that's why we plan". Might as well stop reading there.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:00 pm

I like the idea of giving minorities access to flight school, but at the same time, my biggest fear is the relaxation of standards to force diversity to happen. It already happens at universities...obviously, the consequences of that policy are generally not life and death.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:01 pm

The key phrase is "that's why we plan". Might as well stop reading there.
:thumb: