Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:10 am

...expecting that to change seems like a long shot.
This has been true for 70+ years.

He'll tone it down prior to the convention....... he'll tone it down now that he's the nominee.... he'll tone it down closer to the election..... he'll become more presidential during the transition..... he'll become more presidential now that he's actually President......

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:29 am

Mitfah has sponsored previous Congressional delegations - who listed their destination as 'Palestine', not Israel - and Bibi was mum.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:35 am

Mitfah has sponsored previous Congressional delegations - who listed their destination as 'Palestine', not Israel - and Bibi was mum.
Cool story. Maybe he should have banned the other democrat congress members from coming when they used that apparent anti-Semitic group.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:23 pm

Seems to me that given the recent focus on the rise of RW anti-Semitic attacks in the United States that congressional folks should be more aware of who they associate with.

No?

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:29 pm

It so great having a POTUS with the mentality of a 16 year old high school boy. Makes me proud to me an American.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/16/politics ... index.html
Donald Trump bullied a man as overweight, then didn't apologize
"Trump did not apologize, a White House official tells me. He phoned the supporter, left him a message thanking him for his support, but did not use the words 'sorry' or 'apologize.'"
No, of course he didn't.
Here are the things I find remarkable about all this:
1) We have a President who thinks fat-shaming someone in front of thousands of people is a totally acceptable thing to do
2) The crowd laughed and applauded when Trump made the comment about the man's weight
3) Trump only decided to reach out to the man when informed he was a supporter
4) The White House went out of its way to make clear that Trump did not apologize to the man
Back in the early 2000's I met a couple, Neil and Gail. They lived in Jersey but owned a vacation home near about where I live. They were both from Arizona originally where they'd started an interior design business shortly after they were married which became pretty successful. So much so they decided to move most of the operation to Jersey -near NYC- in the latter part of the eighties.

Shortly after the move they put a rather significant bid in for work at Trump's Taj Mahal in Atlantic City. They were surprised when they won the contract. Long story short: despite having been told by a rep from the Trump Org that the work was exemplary they ended up being paid thirty cents on the dollar. They were told by an attorney that their first mistake was doing any work for "that con artist". And if they wanted to complain they would be told to "take a ticket and go to the back of the line." In the end they did the most prudent thing and settled (after the Trump Org countersued). They were fortunate to get what they did. Many never saw a nickel. Needless to say It very nearly broke their business.

I write this story because I'm thinking of my late father with vigor on this the 17th of August. Too bad I've polluted good memories with the foul stench of the orange shitacne. But I can do penance by telling the story of us going to visit my father (WWII vet, union shop steward) back when The Apprentice was on which was shortly before my father's death in 2006.

My wife and I had been watching (this is before I know the Neil and Gail story) and I go to turn it on at my dad's apartment and he says (verbatim) "Na uh. You want to watch that too full of himself jabrody con man, Marie (his neighbor at the senior high-rise) watches it. You can go over there."

He recognized what Trump was: the loud mouth at the bar, the boor nobody wanted to play euchre with, the braggart no one believed, the bully who in fact is a coward. I've said this a thousand times, men and women who were born in the early 1920's, who lived through the great depression, who fought in either theater in WWII, most of them could size you up within two minutes.

Here's a non sequitur-

Anyone else's father/grandfather ever hear/use the word 'jabrody'...or 'japalac'? which was another one of his favorites.

Lastly
Here's to you, Pop. You truly were the greatest person I ever knew.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:11 pm

Next 300ish pages of the Epstein report. I haven’t read this one yet.
Last edited by Pavel Bure on Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:14 pm

It has come to the attention of the Palestinian Initiative for the Promotion of Global Dialogue and Democracy, MIFTAH, that it is being targeted by extreme pro-Israeli hasbara groups and individuals who are propagating unfounded accusations and fabrications. We strongly condemn and reject these libelous allegations, which are nothing short of contemptible, against an organization that has been dedicated to global dialogue, good governance and democracy in Palestine for over 20 years. The example used as “evidence” of what is being called MIFTAH’s support for anti-Semitism was the result of a misstep by a junior staffer who inadvertently posted an outside article in Arabic on the organization’s website back in 2013 without having it reviewed. Once MIFTAH’s senior management became aware of the offensive article, they immediately removed it and issued an apology despite the fact that a disclaimer on its website clearly states that articles posted from other sources do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the organization. Nonetheless, a widespread smear campaign instigated and obsessively pursued by vicious hate-filled groups continued against MIFTAH and its founders. This hackneyed campaign is now being rehashed in an orchestrated manner with clear malicious intent.

MIFTAH is and has always been a respected organization both in Palestine and abroad and is known for its contributions to good governance, the empowerment of women and youth, to maintaining open, inclusive and democratic dialogue and to the exchange of ideas. We will not tolerate any attempts at the misrepresentation and defamation of MIFTAH’s good name.

Please find below the statement released by MIFTAH’s senior management on April 1, 2013:
Apology
Date posted: April 01, 2013
By MIFTAH

The Palestinian Initiative for the Promotion of Global Dialogue and Democracy, MIFTAH would like to apologize for the recent and brief publication on our website of an article penned by Nawaf Al Zaru that discusses Jewish blood libel during Passover.

It has become clear to us after investigating this incident that the article was accidentally and incorrectly published by a junior staff member. The said staffer has been reprimanded and all our staff has been informed as to the disgusting and repulsive phenomena of blood libel or accusation, including its use against Jews. Dr. Hanan Ashrawi, as founder, has nothing to do with the day to day management at MIFTAH and was no way involved in this incident.

We express our sincerest regret for offense caused by the oversight that resulted in said publication. We are whole-heartedly committed to fighting racism, hatemongering, discrimination and persecution of any kind wherever it should exist, and especially in our own society.
This founder lady sounds like a thunderously despicable person.
Ashrawi is the recipient of numerous awards from all over the world, including the distinguished French decoration, “d'Officier de l'Ordre National de la Légion d'Honneur” in 2016; the 2005 Mahatma Gandhi International Award for Peace and Reconciliation; the 2003 Sydney Peace Prize; the 2002 Olof Palme Prize; the 1999 International Women of Hope “Bread and Roses”; the Defender of Democracy Award – Parliamentarians for Global Action; the 50 Women of the Century; the 1996 Jane Addams International Women’s Leadership Award; the Pearl S. Buck Foundation Women’s Award; the 1994 Pio Manzu Gold Medal Peace Award; and the 1992 Marissa Bellisario International Peace Award.
Granted, today is the first I've heard of Miftah - evidenced in part that I apparently don't know how to spell it.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:15 pm

Jesús Marimba, PB, spoiler that. lol

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:17 pm

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:20 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/17/politics ... index.html
Workers at the Pennsylvania petrochemical plant where President Donald Trump spoke Tuesday were told that if they didn't attend the event, they either had to use paid time off or receive no pay for the day.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:28 pm

Workers at the Pennsylvania petrochemical plant where President Donald Trump spoke Tuesday were told that if they didn't attend the event, they either had to use paid time off or receive no pay for the day.
Saw this reported on TV last night. If they chose to use PTO, those hours wouldn't accrue towards overtime pay. In some cases, opting out would've cost workers upwards of $700. (The normal work week at that plant has something like 16 hours of OT baked in)

The trip was paid for by taxpayers, but it sure sounded like a campaign rally.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:27 pm

I’m not sure why it did that

Kane

Postby Kane » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:59 pm

Seems like reddit posts emb like twitter.

Test:

Kane

Postby Kane » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:59 pm

This changes everything.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:12 pm

reddit is already a shitshow to look at, will be great having to dodge it randomly placed around the forum.

tjand72

Postby tjand72 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:45 pm

Saw this reported on TV last night. If they chose to use PTO, those hours wouldn't accrue towards overtime pay. In some cases, opting out would've cost workers upwards of $700. (The normal work week at that plant has something like 16 hours of OT baked in)

The trip was paid for by taxpayers, but it sure sounded like a campaign rally.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:32 pm

I am not sure why I’m surprised that trump admitted to wanting to buy Greenland

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:54 pm

Farmers market fascists! :scared:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/farmers-m ... s-fascists
From Chicago to Sweden, farmers’ markets have become a surprising battleground between the far right and its opponents. The far right’s love of the markets plays into a larger fascist talking point that idealizes pastoral life and demonizes “degenerate” urban living. The contrast attempts to cast white supremacy as a purer alternative.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:37 am

Elizabeth Warren is on my tv reading a bible and giving a sermon in a church in SC yesterday morning.

Those crazy theocrat evangelicals...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:43 am

Nice to see that Trump was able to get the Epstein thing out of the spotlight by proposing to buy Greenland, and maybe have to give a few live quotes about the impending recession.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:29 am

Trump does an excellent job at hiring the best people, and never taking responsibility or it. Lmao.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:36 pm

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Hopefully he'll continue to tweet once he's imprisoned.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:48 pm

I have the nicest and biggest cell in the country. That said, it's not a cell. It's not even a prison. But if it were a prison, it would be the best and greatest I would personally buy it for my own use and make it even better.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:32 am