Politics And Current Events

obhave

Postby obhave » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:20 am

What changed in four years?

I think marginalized voices continue to be raised. People weren't silent before, but didn't get the media coverage.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:21 am

I would guess that it doesn’t get coverage from the media because it conflicts with their revenue stream.

Edit: referring to obhave’s post about SJW.
Last edited by MWB on Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

NAN

Postby NAN » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:22 am

I know, I'm being lighthearted. I really liked it.

Happy Fourth of July all. Our country is messy, crazy, and beautiful and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else
:thumb:

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:26 am

Why do we need to hear about companies' international politics thoughts when they're talking domestic?

It's two completely different spheres/lenses.
Because Nike, specifically, has defended the Chinese government. It is an international company that benefits from the equivocation.

I mean we're talking about a football team name vs. a company making money off looking the other way and keeping silent about genocide.
I've found out over the last few months libs can only focus on one thing and its the simple thing. Complexity is scary.
The board has been overtaken by statue talk for the past two weeks by you and your ilk on here. It’s funny, that you of all people, are talking about complexity
Because when we bring up stuff outside the narrow scope it gets bypassed as "something not worth talking about, only focus on the simple fix, etc etc."
Didn’t we have a discussion earlier in the week about this? It didn’t come across to me as “this isn’t worth talking about.”

tjand72

Postby tjand72 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:27 am

Trump: Children are taught in school to 'hate their own country'
"The violent mayhem we have seen in our streets and cities are run by liberal Democrats in every case is the predictable result of years of extreme indoctrination and bias in education, journalism and other cultural institutions," he said. "Against every law of society and nature, our children are taught in school to hate their own country and to believe that the men and women who built it weren't heroes, but villains. The radical view of American history is a web of lies."
What a POS.

Happy 4th, everyone.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:33 am

I think the problem is more that we WEREN’T taught the full story. We were taught to idolize and that the people who “discovered” the county and founded the country were these infallible heroes. If the actual history was presented, maybe you wouldn’t have such a backlash when people learn the truth. If we learned the nuance and complexity and controversy, maybe we could’ve been taught that these were flawed people who both did something great and weren’t great people by today’s standards.

obhave

Postby obhave » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:35 am

I think the problem is more that we WEREN’T taught the full story. We were taught to idolize and that the people who “discovered” the county and founded the country were these infallible heroes. If the actual history was presented, maybe you wouldn’t have such a backlash when people learn the truth. If we learned the nuance and complexity and controversy, maybe we could’ve been taught that these were flawed people who both did something great and weren’t great people by today’s standards.
:thumb: :thumb:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:41 am

Or rather, if you say it doesnt mean anything, then why waste time complaining about it? If the talk means nothing then what's the point of any of this?
This is a garbage take that always flows one way in this thread.

We're talking about it because it's in the news.

Why should I or anyone else be silent about it?

Because if they were taking a stand you agreed with, you wouldn't be posting about it.
This is just nonsense on stilts.

When's the last time a corporation that benefits off slave labor taken a stand loyalist agrarianism?
It’s not nonsense. I don’t remember hearing one peep (or tweet) when it was reported that our president gave China a free pass on the same issue for his own personal benefit
If I didn't in this thread, I did in real life.

I'll admit to this being personal primarily because I know Chinese folks in prison for standing up to the totalitarian government in Beijing.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:45 am

I think marginalized voices continue to be raised. People weren't silent before, but didn't get the media coverage.
C'mon.

Bernie was in his late 60's when he said that and he's been involved with the marginalized for 50 years.

That either makes him super fake or incredibly ignorant.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:49 am

While were at it maybe teach the history of other countries and cultures and it wont be such a shock when theyre told that bad people doing bad things thruout the building of civilization wasnt exclusive to this country.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:54 am

We keep getting told that these are just some people on Twitter but these statues aren't getting defaced and pulled down on Twitter and you had the DNC come out and join the tear down Mount Rushmore crowd.

If I'm supposed to care about some random GOP operative in Houston being representative of everyone who votes Republican then y'all need to man up and own the lunatics in actual real life on your side who are leading intimidation mobs.

Liberals like to act like they're the only people on the planet who use reason and think through facts while us neanderthals on the right are emblematic of ignorant 4 year olds.

They had these things called libraries since the dawn of time where y'all could have learned this stuff, but you chose to be satisfied with your weak public school history classes taught by bored football coaches.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:02 am

They had these things called libraries since the dawn of time where y'all could have learned this stuff, but you chose to be satisfied with your weak public school history classes taught by bored football coaches.
Lol I think you missed the point.

obhave

Postby obhave » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:03 am

C'mon.

Bernie was in his late 60's when he said that and he's been involved with the marginalized for 50 years.

Indigenous people have been speaking out about Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore for a long time. Have you ever heard that media coverage before? So yes, voices are being featured more while it is "in".

During 2016 (and 2020), Bernie Sandors was trying to cater to the indigenous community and specifically had parts of his platform indented to alleviate some of the issues facing tribes (such as education and healthcare). He was actively speaking to the community. People were likely not happy about what Bernie said, but he is also willing to work with the community and my guess listened to their concerns (he had a stronger platform in 2020 than 2016 for them). No one is perfect and maybe he didn't know at the time, like many people here about the issues with Mt. Rushmore and surrounding area. He has changed his tune, maybe because he is listening more.

Trump is not. You can probably understand why there is a different response.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:03 am

I remember being taught our founding fathers were slave owners. I remember being taught how some were dadholes, like the womanizer Ben Franklin.

Every generation is looked upon by today’s standards. Our “enlightened and woke” society will also be looked upon as being terrible. It is stupid to look at historical figures and base their character on today’s society.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:03 am

While were at it maybe teach the history of other countries and cultures and it wont be such a shock when theyre told that bad people doing bad things thruout the building of civilization wasnt exclusive to this country.
Yeah for sure. We didn’t even get through American history in my high school though. I’m all for it though.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:05 am

We keep getting told that these are just some people on Twitter but these statues aren't getting defaced and pulled down on Twitter and you had the DNC come out and join the tear down Mount Rushmore crowd.

If I'm supposed to care about some random GOP operative in Houston being representative of everyone who votes Republican then y'all need to man up and own the lunatics in actual real life on your side who are leading intimidation mobs.

Liberals like to act like they're the only people on the planet who use reason and think through facts while us neanderthals on the right are emblematic of ignorant 4 year olds.

A, care about what you want to care about. You seem to often post on here about what the left “wants you to care about.”

B, nice broad brush. Again, social media vastly amplifies the voices of the fringes of both sides.

C, missing from your argument in this is time. “No one cared about this x years ago.” Time passes and changes cultures, attitudes and society.

D, get off your high horse with education.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:07 am

C'mon.

Indigenous people have been speaking out about Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore for a long time. Have you ever heard that media coverage before? So yes, voices are being featured more while it is "in".

During 2016 (and 2020), Bernie Sandors was trying to cater to the indigenous community and specifically had parts of his platform indented to alleviate some of the issues facing tribes (such as education and healthcare). He was actively speaking to the community. People were likely not happy about what Bernie said, but he is also willing to work with the community and my guess listened to their concerns (he had a stronger platform in 2020 than 2016 for them). No one is perfect and maybe he didn't know at the time, like many people here about the issues with Mt. Rushmore and surrounding area. He has changed his tune, maybe because he is listening more.

Trump is not. You can probably understand why there is a different response.
Also sacred land to the sioux my ass. The sioux moved from minnesota to the great plains and the black hills in the late 1700s and kicked out other tribes. Why? Because the sioux had guns and horses because they traded with white people.

obhave

Postby obhave » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:21 am

Also sacred land to the sioux my ass. The sioux moved from minnesota to the great plains and the black hills in the late 1700s and kicked out other tribes. Why? Because the sioux had guns and horses because they traded with white people.
Which all started because they were driven out of their own lands by settlers. The Black Hills are sacred land because it was central to their culture where they performed ceremonies (such as a spring ritual every year), burials, etc. It is sacred land to them. Land they were promised by the government was exempt from settlement. Which lasted only ~10 years, before the gold rush and a reneg of that exemption.

To dismiss it because they took it from other tribes, which all had issues because of white settlement, is disingenuous. The Sioux, like many tribes, have a very complicated past with white settlers.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:26 am

Trump: Children are taught in school to 'hate their own country'
"The violent mayhem we have seen in our streets and cities are run by liberal Democrats in every case is the predictable result of years of extreme indoctrination and bias in education, journalism and other cultural institutions," he said. "Against every law of society and nature, our children are taught in school to hate their own country and to believe that the men and women who built it weren't heroes, but villains. The radical view of American history is a web of lies."
From the pen of Stephen Miller.

obhave

Postby obhave » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:32 am

Anyways, Happy 4th. Enjoy safe, social distance celebrations!
I'm in quarantine, should be working on my thesis, and not getting into political debates to avoid said thesis :face:

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:43 am

Which all started because they were driven out of their own lands by settlers. The Black Hills are sacred land because it was central to their culture where they performed ceremonies (such as a spring ritual every year), burials, etc. It is sacred land to them. Land they were promised by the government was exempt from settlement. Which lasted only ~10 years, before the gold rush and a reneg of that exemption.

To dismiss it because they took it from other tribes, which all had issues because of white settlement, is disingenuous. The Sioux, like many tribes, have a very complicated past with white settlers.
So we are about tearing down the monument because it has former slave owners, so we can appease former slave owners?

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:03 pm

Is the plan to put another monument in its place? That would seem to be the only way that argument would make sense.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:53 pm

Lin-Manuel Miranda status: CANCELLED

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:09 pm

Lin-Manuel Miranda status: CANCELLED

Looooooool

Where do they come up with this stuff?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:11 pm

It's fun as hell watching all of the crazy people cannibalize each other in the responses to those tweets.