Politics And Current Events

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:11 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but what filibuster/rights is he talking about exactly?
The Senate filibuster on legislation.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:27 pm

Amazing to see what he can do as President

Always
Be
Campaigning

You see a lot of negativity in things.
Contrast his "eulogy" with GWB's.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:39 pm

I wanted to circle back to this. This report describes typical "behind the scenes" behavior for appellate judges. Even after the initial votes on a case, judges will continue to discuss the cases, lobby each other, and circulate memos on their respective positions, and it's not unusual for judges to switch sides after their initial votes. There are even cases where the judge who was initially assigned to write the majority opinion ends up "losing" the majority and writing a dissent instead.
If that's what happened here, I'm glad he's on the court.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:44 pm

Always
Be
Campaigning

:thumb:

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:46 pm

lol

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:47 pm

Hannity is reminding us tonight that Robert "KKK" Byrd was a democrat.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:37 pm

Always
Be
Campaigning

It's part cynicism, part b.s. detecting. Politicians talk, it's what they do.

Call me crazy, but if you had the top job and didn't do any of those things you kind of give up the right to talk like your on the campaign and what you'd like to do, especially when you droned children and open up slave markets in North Africa through your intervention in other people's business.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:07 pm

It’s not a simple black and white thing though. Saying Obama could’ve done more... I agree to an extent. And i agree too much focus was put on Obamacare. But I don’t think it was a simple matter of he could have or should have rammed through whatever legislation he wanted. There were certain elements, including him being the first black president, that needed to be considered. That was not a small matter. Nothing is done or not done in a vacuum.

I get the bs detecting, and understand it. But not everything is bs. There are actually good people in influential positions. Not all public people are awful or disingenuous. Yes, mistakes are made, but you have to look at the whole picture. And that’s more about the Kerr stuff than the Obama stuff.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:53 am

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:21 am

Clinton was named in the document. Mar-A-Lago a bunch.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:23 am

It’s not a simple black and white thing though. Saying Obama could’ve done more... I agree to an extent. And i agree too much focus was put on Obamacare. But I don’t think it was a simple matter of he could have or should have rammed through whatever legislation he wanted. There were certain elements, including him being the first black president, that needed to be considered. That was not a small matter. Nothing is done or not done in a vacuum.

I get the bs detecting, and understand it. But not everything is bs. There are actually good people in influential positions. Not all public people are awful or disingenuous. Yes, mistakes are made, but you have to look at the whole picture. And that’s more about the Kerr stuff than the Obama stuff.
Kerr is on the worse end of the "good people in influential positions" because there would be no real personal cost to speaking openly about what is so obvious about China. You can't speak eloquently about government spending and some esoteric stuff then feign ignorance about China and say "it's not my place". That's cowardice.

I mean it's no big deal to lob criticisms of Trump. That takes zero effort and costs nothing.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:24 am

Also David Duke canned on twitter lol

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:26 am

I'm 100% positive Trump's name will come out eventually.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:32 am

I think Trump is clean in all of this. Not because he didn't want to be in the Epstein club, but outside of Mara a Lago being a recruiting ground in Palm Beach for Epstein, Trump would serve no utility for Epstein in that period of time. Trump was a tabloid sideshow up until what? the Apprentice? Trump is more the guy that is still going to brag about being in Epstein's orbit because of its exclusivity, but I can't see Trump being of interest as a power broker to Epstein.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:37 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... n-n1235252
House Democrats find administration overspent for ventilators by as much as $500 million
I know the lesson that people are going to take from Trump is all going to be about race stuff, but I would really just want people to come out of this with a desire to at least try and elect competent leadership. This is the test case, it's a disaster to elect a 'businessman".

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:44 am

I'm 100% positive Trump's name will come out eventually.
It seems inevitable - if for anything he needs to have a line of questioning around why Mar-A-Lago is so prominent in child/sex trafficking.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:46 am

Kerr is on the worse end of the "good people in influential positions" because there would be no real personal cost to speaking openly about what is so obvious about China. You can't speak eloquently about government spending and some esoteric stuff then feign ignorance about China and say "it's not my place". That's cowardice.

I mean it's no big deal to lob criticisms of Trump. That takes zero effort and costs nothing.
Who knows what the nba has told players and coaches about speaking out against China, but I assume it’s something since no one does it. Not saying it’s right, but also don’t think it’s true it would come at no cost.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:49 am

House Democrats find administration overspent for ventilators by as much as $500 million
I know the lesson that people are going to take from Trump is all going to be about race stuff, but I would really just want people to come out of this with a desire to at least try and elect competent leadership. This is the test case, it's a disaster to elect a 'businessman".
Government never overspent on political paybacks until Trump. Is that your argument?

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:55 am

Are the NBA players allowed to where "Lower Class Chinese Slaves Lives Matter" shirts?

Or is that a no-no.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:04 am

Are the NBA players allowed to where "Lower Class Chinese Slaves Lives Matter" shirts?

Or is that a no-no.
Probably not; too much money at stake. Maybe so in college football though.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:06 am

Or is that a no-no.
It's absolutely a no-no.
A GM sent a simple stand with Hong Kong tweet and the NBA world nearly imploded. The players could push back, but
A) They're not personally invested. They feel their own house is on fire in this country, and momentum clearly is moving in the direction of positive change. Why would they focus their energy on a house half-way across town.
B) If they do go against the league, there's the serious possibility that the league snaps back the freedom players have had to comment on BLM and other issues in the Black community. So they 'd have to trade off helping their family and friends for a 1 liner about China.

People seem to hate on SJW, but the second somebody prioritizes one issue above the other they're considered hypocrites.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:07 am

Every business man or this business man...?

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:07 am

What if they simplify it and just wear "All Lives Matter" shirts?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:09 am

The info out now shows Clinton's previous statement to be false.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:12 am

Every business man or this business man...?
Why it was in quotation, that he conned people into thinking he was good at something.