Politics And Current Events

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:15 pm

Just watch the clip above.
Haha nice.

It's also kinda funny that there's so much attention on 67 cases per million, or 450 for that matter.

I'm not a researcher but I'd imagine 67/1000000 or 450/1000000 doesn't have a whole lot of statical significance

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:19 pm

There shouldn’t be so much attention on it. The 450 stat is really only brought up to show how silly the 67 stat is.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:29 pm

now that my friends is what a real no talent ass-hat looks like

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:31 pm

Lol…

“That’s not true…”
“It is.”
“Fine, let’s look it up!”

“Well, that’s not what I read before…”
"where are we getting this stuff from?!"

He's an incredibly dangerous person because he believed the first lie convincingly enough to disagree with the guy, was proved wrong, and still doubled-down. Honestly, he's trash and this coming from a guy who enjoyed his long-form podcasts back before the pandemic.

I feel like the Pandemic was easily a switch for him because of his health beliefs, and it's just continued to perpetuate the nonsense.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:33 pm

I know you guys get all shriveled about him because he doesn't believe all the things you believe...and sure, he's a dunce some times, most of the time, whatever it is...I just like that he's willing to have an extended conversation for such a variety of guests, guests that don't normally get such a massive platform...I know it's scary or frustrating or depressing to not order off the same menu every day for every meal, but I'm glad it exists. I also have listened to <2 episodes since the exclusive move to spotify for no legitimate reason...
That was the show about 5-6 years ago.

Comedy Guest - long form talk about comedy philosophy, shared experiences, etc

Science Guest - Caveman Joe learns fire is hot. Trusts the expert, does not need to touch fire or talk about how fire is indeed hot but ointment make hand better so Joe like touch fire.

Political Guest - Listen and ask probing questions to get better and more clear answers about their ideals. It was always with a skeptics view.

Fight Guest - Punching people is fun and hard

Batshit Guest - Eddy Bravo, Alex Jones, Ancient Aliens guy. Just laugh at the absurdity of it all

At some point Joe went from skeptic trying to learn to old man that has an opinion and must be heard. Whether it was money, age, or not having the time/energy to keep up what made him standout I don’t know.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:13 am

mikey defending Joe Rogan after that clip being posted is an alltime great “what?” moment on this board

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:50 am

Meh...I'm not defending the Rogan clip or anything obviously...but this thread in particular is very sensitive to (against) different ideas...there was non-covid hate for Rogan as well...it's real easy to pile on...

Maybe I'll give this episode a listen actually just to see if the clip is indicative of the rest of the conversation...

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:57 am

Pretty sure @Shyster had this. The OSHA bit was never going to work.
It could have not been opposed

Yeah, and maybe tomorrow rainbows and unicorns will fly out of my butt. ;)

My comments on the decision:

This is not a decision as to whether vaccines are a good idea, or whether Covid is a serious disease, or whether states and businesses have the power or ability to require their employees be vaccinated. It's whether Congress, when it passed the Occupational Safety and Health Act around 50 years ago, empowered the Occupational Safety and Health Administration to mandate vaccination as a condition of employment when, in the past 50-year history of that statute, OSHA has never before claimed such a sweeping authority. The Court held it does not:
The question, then, is whether the Act plainly authorizes the Secretary’s mandate. It does not. The Act empowers the Secretary to set workplace safety standards, not broad public health measures. See 29 U.S.C. § 655(b) (directing the Secretary to set “occupational safety and health standards” (emphasis added)); § 655(c)(1) (authorizing the Secretary to impose emergency temporary standards necessary to protect “employees” from grave danger in the workplace). Confirming the point, the Act’s provisions typically speak to hazards that employees face at work. See, e.g., §§651, 653, 657. And no provision of the Act addresses public health more generally, which falls outside of OSHA’s sphere of expertise.
. . .
The Solicitor General does not dispute that OSHA is limited to regulating “work-related dangers.” She instead argues that the risk of contracting COVID–19 qualifies as such a danger. We cannot agree. Although COVID-19 is a risk that occurs in many workplaces, it is not an occupational hazard in most. COVID–19 can and does spread at home, in schools, during sporting events, and everywhere else that people gather. That kind of universal risk is no different from the day-to-day dangers that all face from crime, air pollution, or any number of communicable diseases. Permitting OSHA to regulate the hazards of daily life—simply because most Americans have jobs and face those same risks while on the clock—would significantly expand OSHA’s regulatory authority without clear congressional authorization.
. . .
It is telling that OSHA, in its half century of existence, has never before adopted a broad public health regulation of this kind—addressing a threat that is untethered, in any causal sense, from the workplace. This “lack of historical precedent,” coupled with the breadth of authority that the Secretary now claims, is a “telling indication” that the mandate extends beyond the agency’s legitimate reach.

(Some citations omitted.) As explained by the concurring opinion of Justice Gorsuch (joined by Thomas and Alito):
The question before us is not how to respond to the pandemic, but who holds the power to do so. The answer is clear: Under the law as it stands today, that power rests with the States and Congress, not OSHA. In saying this much, we do not impugn the intentions behind the agency’s mandate. Instead, we only discharge our duty to enforce the law’s demands when it comes to the question who may govern the lives of 84 million Americans. Respecting those demands may be trying in times of stress. But if this Court were to abide them only in more tranquil conditions, declarations of emergencies would never end and the liberties our Constitution’s separation of powers seeks to preserve would amount to little.

Under our system of government, the mere fact that something is a good idea doesn't mean that the fedgov has the power to do it. And it certainly doesn't mean that a regulatory agency can do something without being empowered to do so by Congress, no matter how laudable the goal may be. And this decision does not block other means for vaccine mandates. Congress may, if it so chooses, amend the OSH Act to give the power to mandate vaccinations to OSHA. In more than two years of the pandemic, it hasn't done so. States may pass their own laws to mandate vaccination for employees. Businesses may choose to require their employees be vaccinated. There are other options that may be pursued. But OSHA doesn't have the authority unless Congress acts.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:10 am

Meh...I'm not defending the Rogan clip or anything obviously...but this thread in particular is very sensitive to (against) different ideas...
So in your opinion should all ideas receive equal weight in discourse? Or is there a line somewhere that you can say “okay, this is just nonsense…” and move along without giving it much consideration?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:48 am

There's a very high nonsense line. High meaning there is a lot of nonsense...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:37 am

Really hope this guy wins

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:46 am

He passed up a very good teaching moment there... you should highlight the need for diversification of energy sources, the current limitations of our grid and energy transfer, the problems we're facing with energy storage and batteries. Nahhhhhhh, gotta pown the libs.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:48 am

Took two seconds to google it:
When a solar panel is covered with snow, it cannot produce electricity. However, solar arrays tend to shed snow pretty well—the panels themselves absorb the sun’s heat as well as its light, they are mounted to face the sun, and are often on a slope. While it’s true that solar panels drop in production when they’re covered with snow, the percentage of overall yearly production lost is actually very small, which still makes them a good investment for prospective customers.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:49 am

You guys are being insensitive

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:51 am

Nice to know getting pwned by a 3rd grader is a prerequisite for running for office.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:51 am

This is like saying oil drilling is bad because the machines turn off

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:52 am

Plus, solar farms like that have staff who manually clean them, unless it's one of the higher tech facilities that uses robots to do it (which you should watch on YouTube, FYI).

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:04 am

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:17 am

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:09 pm

Really hope this guy wins
Political freaks that use their children for political points are the worst. Especially stupid ones like this.

What he should have said to his child was, "If we would embrace nuclear, we could enjoy clean, cheap, reliable energy for centuries to come".

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:31 pm

Thats presenting at least the tip of a solution, politics today is all tear down not build up.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:45 pm

Ah yes, good old clean and cheap nuclear energy.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:20 pm

mikey, I think when you say "he doesn't believe all the things you believe" re Rogan it means something different in your head than it does to 'us'. Rogan is a thermonuclear dipshit who trafficks in mistruths and falsehoods for profit, and he was caught and called out for doing it live on his own air this week, and it was a glorious moment of self-pwnage.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:28 pm

I'm in favor of nuclear energy.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:28 pm

Yeah, I understand who he is...I've listened to a three-digit number of episodes. This is like the NFL thread, no one was saying **** about the Colts when they were winning...but there's a loss (and that clip is a loss for Rogan, no doubt) and everyone is so quick to lynch him. This is bad. The loss to Jacksonville is bad. Generally, I think both are good. You could argue it wasn't the time to make that point, and I wouldn't disagree. But look at the posters and the timing after that Rogan post haha...[jerk off motion.gif]

His show is a positive in the current media sphere. Sure, sometimes the dice land on 7 - like this time, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't go near the craps table again imo...you people's mileage may vary...