Politics And Current Events

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:20 pm

I think it's bad when anyone person does it and thought the article was an interesting explanation of the tax dodges, as well as the way the rich get out of standard US employment laws as well, but... okay...
I swear to God some people are convinced that if person A did something sh!tty than that means it's ok for person B to do it.

How about this. I wish I spoke up more about this bull **** before this administration. I wish I was more informed back then. I wish I tried to do something to change it then. I'm sorry.

Am I allowed to criticize this administration now?
It has nothing to do with politics.

Every rich person on the planet Earth employs a CPA to find out how to use tax law to their advantage. Who cares whether John Kerry or Betsy DeVos or Pope Francis does this kind of thing. Why does it even matter?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Speaking of silly histrionics over nonsense...the plastic straw ban is having a backlash.
If you missed my story last night, check it out below. Some Pittsburghers are speaking out on the plastic straw ban trend and they want companies to hear their concerns before making any decisions. WATCH HERE: ----> (link: https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stories/l ... /810450337)
wpxi.com/news/top-stori…

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:23 pm

Every rich person on the planet Earth employs a CPA to find out how to use tax law to their advantage. Who cares whether John Kerry or Betsy DeVos or Pope Francis does this kind of thing. Why does it even matter?
I simply thought it was interesting, especially the part about how registering in a foreign country allows the ultra rich to skirt US employment laws.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:24 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/11/po ... ports.html
The 18-year-old son of a police chief in California’s Bay Area, who allegedly attacked a 71-year-old Sikh man, appeared in court Friday, smiling and waving his middle fingers at media cameras, a report said.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:43 pm

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/11/63464022 ... te-housing
Along the country roads that fan out from Ogallala, Neb., there are abandoned, weathered old farmhouses and collapsed barns, remnants of the hardscrabble settlers who first tapped the Ogallala aquifer and turned the dry, high plains into lush wheat and corn fields.

Like a lot of the Midwest, western Nebraska slowly emptied out over the years, which is why a lot of locals say the current housing shortage is nothing short of a paradox.

"It's a tricky situation," says Mary Wilson, director of the local economic development office in Ogallala, population 4,500. For Wilson, the crisis that rural towns face would be more aptly dubbed a shortage of adequate housing.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:15 pm

I simply thought it was interesting, especially the part about how registering in a foreign country allows the ultra rich to skirt US employment laws.
Yeah but why does it matter?

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:16 pm

Nothing really matters.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see...

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:31 pm

Anyone can see...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:41 pm

A = A

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:50 pm

I think it's bad when anyone person does it and thought the article was an interesting explanation of the tax dodges, as well as the way the rich get out of standard US employment laws as well, but... okay...
I swear to God some people are convinced that if person A did something sh!tty than that means it's ok for person B to do it.

How about this. I wish I spoke up more about this bull **** before this administration. I wish I was more informed back then. I wish I tried to do something to change it then. I'm sorry.

It matters enough to you to bring up when the other side did it, apparently.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:25 pm

Ding ding ding!!

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:52 pm

This isn't an "other side" thing. John Kerry happens to be ultra rich as well, good for him for taking advantage of available means to save money.

I don't really see the big deal about either "side" doing it. More power to them.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Then why bring up the John Kerry example after Tony brought up DeVos?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Because he's a rich guy who does the same.

Mitt Romney does it to... :scared:

https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/romney-p ... d=17105028

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:43 pm

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... ed-killer/
On Friday, a California jury hit Monsanto with $289 million in damages in a lawsuit brought by a patient suffering from terminal cancer, accepting the plaintiff's claims that his disease was caused by the company's popular herbicide, Roundup. The suit neatly sidestepped the complicated epidemiology of the active ingredient in the herbicide—glyphosate—and instead made the claim that the cancer was the result of glyphosate's interactions with other chemicals in Roundup—a claim for which there is even less evidence.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:43 pm

Why would an American billionaire’s floating palace moored at a northern Ohio dock be registered in an exotic Caribbean archipelago?
This isn't really a "rich people" thing; it's an "everyone in the entire world does this" thing. Just about every ship of significant value is registered using a flag of convenience. Take a Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean or Carnival, and you will find that those giant cruse ships that are undoubtedly based in Florida are all flagged and "homeported" in Panama, Liberia, Marshall Islands, Malta, the Bahamas, Cyprus, or one of the other less-popular flag-of-convenience nations. Same thing goes for container ships, oil tankers, bulk carriers, and every other type of major commercial ship. Pointing out that a rich person has used a flag of convenience for their yacht is like pointing out that they've also taken perfectly legal and available deductions on their tax returns; pretty much everyone who owns a sufficiently valuable ship uses a flag of convenience.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:47 pm

Then why bring up the John Kerry example after Tony brought up DeVos?
FWIW, I only mentioned DeVos so that people would read the article, as I'm sure most of the links I post (which I find interested) never get clicked on.

This is the part of the article that was interesting to me:
Offshore registration can also reduce labor costs.

“The reason otherwise red-blooded American yachts fly non-American flags has little to do with political sentiment, and a whole lot to do with tax and employment laws,” wrote Kevin Koenig, a former Goldman Sachs analyst, in a 2011 issue of Power & Motoryacht Magazine. “From a tax perspective, the U.S. government views an American working as a deckhand on a U.S.-flagged megayacht cruising off St. Tropez no differently than it views an insurance salesman plying his trade in Topeka—that is to say, a yacht flying the American flag is, essentially, on U.S. soil no matter where she is located.”

Koenig added: “The financial consequences of this view can be major for owners who choose to register in America because they are constrained to account for U.S. taxes when paying the crewmember. With Social Security and unemployment taxes what they are, this often means paying an American crewmember twice as much as say, an equally qualified Australian who is exempt from U.S. taxes but who the owner could only hire were his boat registered in a more lenient, foreign-flag state.”

That sentiment was echoed by Miami maritime lawyer David Neblett.

“If you have a U.S. flag vessel, you fall under U.S. law in crewing it,” Neblett told Grand Cayman Magazine in 2015. “You have to have workers compensation insurance for each of them. There’s a big savings to hiring your crew outside the U.S....tax benefits, privacy, liability, crewing requirements, all these are good reasons for our high-net-worth clients to register offshore.”

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:14 pm

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1028325172443574272
CBS News
‏@CBSNews

Food donated to Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria was found rotting in the parking lot of a government facility. Containers filled with supplies sat there for 11 months

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:33 pm

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1028325172443574272
CBS News
‏@CBSNews

Food donated to Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria was found rotting in the parking lot of a government facility. Containers filled with supplies sat there for 11 months
Jesus Christ...

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:50 pm

god damn Sally Struthers

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:50 am

See, that's why the Don handed out the paper towels himself.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:02 am

Maybe the mayor of San Juan can quit making t-shirts and focus on food distribution.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:12 am

Antifa Protesters Attack NBC Reporter @CalNBC & The Entire Camera Crew In Charlottesville, VA
https://mobile.twitter.com/Breaking911/ ... 6536582149

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:04 am

This I think illustrates the fallacy of the “both sides are bad” arguments. There are clearly people drawn to antifa so they can **** ****. up, and are just angry and repressed. Just as there are people with the same internal dynamics joining neo-nazi groups.

But just one of these groups is fully designed around the notion of white supremacy. So while there are obviously bad actors on both sides, the overall orientation of white supremacy should not be validated by both sidesing this.