Politics And Current Events

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:44 pm

the truth is that i of course don't respect firearms. i have a lot of ways i could expand on that, but they would come off as personal attacks, which isn't helpful. but what this means is that in your dog scenario, i'm banning all kinds of cute puppies as well at pit bulls. because i don't believe the distinction is relevant. because i don't respect dog ownership. but i'm trying to figure out ways for you to keep your dog, even though he's an a**hole.
I understand that you don't like guns and would prefer them to cease to exist. I'm actually trying to do you a favor by respectfully pointing out just how staggeringly ignorant and uninformed you sound. Because you do sound every bit as clueless as the example offered by Mr. White. Don't you think you should educate yourself—even just marginally—on a subject where you are advocating sweeping legal changes? And if you are perfectly willing to speak out of ignorance, why should anyone believe anything you say on any other subject? Are we supposed to believe you are ignorant about this but knowledgeable about other things?
Knowledgeable about other things, eh? I don’t think you, in particular, want to make inferences about life outside the internet for people, based on this topic. Or others here

But to that point, I’ve heard tif and Freddy casually dismiss a registry because of broad thoughts about the security of information systems. They don’t know what they’re talking about on a detailed level. Whereas it is my profession of 15 years. Instead of quizzing them about SQL injection or 2 factor authentication I instead provided some high level insight.

And regarding my ignorance...I’ve proposed 2 things. A registry and a restriction on semi automatics. I dont think having these specific opinions requires the expertise you think it does.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:48 pm

One thing that I would add, is that while I'm no 2A truther, seeing 'compromises' put forward that amount to "I don't want to ban your guns, I just want to render them functionally useless for legitimate purposes outside of 'expensive paperweight'" actually moves me more to the dig-my-heels-in camp. It makes me much less receptive to talk about limits, because it veers very far away from the the most basic fact about the Second Amendment: It's a Constitutional right, and dicking around with limits on the lawful exercise of a Constitutional right can have some very profound and lasting unintended consequences.
“Functionally useless for legitimate purposes”. The drama queens exist on all sides and even with tif right in the middle. I’m talking about throttling semi autos. Take a breath.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Back to some of the points from Tuesday (hopefully)...

Budgetary increase to accommodate what would be a massive increase in SRO's - not sure what it costs, not sure where the money comes from
Universal background checks - is there agreement that the current system is not dependable and needs a rehash as well?
National concealed-carry reciprocity - can some minimum federal baseline be set?
Raise the age to buy semi-automatic rifles from 18 to 21 - I'm anti-gun and this doesn't even really do anything for me. It's a nice thought, but if you can fight for your country at 18...
Move of suppressors from Title II to Title I of the National Firearms Act - Again, I'd gladly accept this because I don't foresee it having a measurable impact on crime/violence.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:50 pm

What do you think about the specific example that happened in New York City of the registry being opened and women with restraining orders, etc... having to move because their residences were publically released?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:57 pm

What do you think about the specific example that happened in New York City of the registry being opened and women with restraining orders, etc... having to move because their residences were publically released?

Hate to answer a question with a question, but can you easily find someone's address based on their car registration (license plate, whatever)?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Everything about the FBI's and local authorities work gets worse as the days pass.
The call to the FBI lasted more than 13 minutes. Before the tipster called the FBI, she called law enforcement officials in Parkland — she didn’t hear back from them.
https://t.co/xSkvMlVzem
BREAKING: CNN Reports FOUR Broward County Deputies Waited Outside School As Children Were Massacred
https://t.co/O9CQA6CasF https://t.co/PWzW6HyAUs

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:03 pm

If a registry can “be released” it’s too vulnerable. This type of data isn’t particularly fluid. It doesn’t have a lot of use cases either. This makes it much easier to manage than financial or health care data. Whoever was in New York building and running this system did not know what they were doing or did not lock down the data as much as they should have. If they used the cheapest bidder to develop it, there you go.

But you can and should lock these down. Police, for instance, would never be able to even sniff a registry without a purpose. A one way yes/no lookup when they enter the weapon ID and the ID of the individual. No one would be able to browse at their discretion. And every inquiry is logged and reviewed. Secured VPNs between authorized sellers and the system itself, different encryption methods, remote access policies...these are all things that would be ramped up.

It’s a fun trope to think there are hackers who can just go get data and that all systems are vulnerable, but this isn’t true.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:07 pm

And really, it would pain me if this stuff got out. Not just because of the shitshow, amateur, micro civil war it might cause. But because owning a weapon is serious. And doesn’t deserve to be public info. Implicitly, it doesn’t deserve to be government info either, but we are in a pickle that demands action here, whether people like it or not.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:20 pm

Hate to answer a question with a question, but can you easily find someone's address based on their car registration (license plate, whatever)?
I guess to further my question:

If there's nothing that I can search to determine where you lived based on your car make, model, or license, why not create a gun registry with a similar concept?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:31 pm

But to that point, I’ve heard tif and Freddy casually dismiss a registry because of broad thoughts about the security of information systems. They don’t know what they’re talking about on a detailed level. Whereas it is my profession of 15 years. Instead of quizzing them about SQL injection or 2 factor authentication I instead provided some high level insight.
IT security was not the nature of my concern. It's a civil liberties issue.

I provided a real-world example where a news organization published the names and addresses of gun owners. They compiled publicly-available information (that was not commonly known to be public info) and shared it with their readers.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:35 pm

IT security was not the nature of my concern. It's a civil liberties issue.

I provided a real-world example where a news organization published the names and addresses of gun owners. They compiled publicly-available information (that was not commonly known to be public info) and shared it with their readers.
So you thought I was proposing a public registry? Eesh. No way dude.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:40 pm

Cops seem to be more than willing to shoot unarmed suspects over the last year but can’t seem to muster up the balls to confront a guy who actually needs to be stopped.
https://twitter.com/RobProvince/status/ ... 2112521216

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:45 pm

Has @Guinness been streaming the CPAC coverage this week?

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:02 pm

Mueller probably has better things to do with his life than squeezing people to get to Manafort and whatever the hell he did - which Mueller undoubtedly already has the goods on. I think the Gates plea is significant for the Trump inner circle, in that Manafort will fold and provide additional/corroborating testimony to take down the crime family itself.

Good times.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:11 pm

Ajit Pai just received an award for courage from the NRA. That is a thing that happened.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:17 pm

https://twitter.com/Bmac0507/status/967145190736609280

Prime Minister of Canada gettin' his groove on.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:19 pm

Your boy Dinesh was calling him a fake Indian yesterday.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:25 pm

My boy?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:04 pm

Mueller probably has better things to do with his life than squeezing people to get to Manafort and whatever the hell he did - which Mueller undoubtedly already has the goods on. I think the Gates plea is significant for the Trump inner circle, in that Manafort will fold and provide additional/corroborating testimony to take down the crime family itself.

Good times.

It’s pathetic how desperate some of you are hoping the president committed treason.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:09 pm

My boy?
He seems like someone you would dislike even more than neocons. :slug:

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:20 pm

He tried to be an intellectual for a while, even got to be President somehow of a prestigious Christian college in New York City.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:56 pm

The bill that the Oregon Senate approved Thursday, House Bill 4145 , would close a loophole in Oregon's gun laws that allow convicted domestic abusers and stalkers to legally buy and own firearms if they aren't married to or living with the victim and they don't have children together.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.o ... l_bill.amp

Aside: Should convicted domestic abusers have their guns confiscated?

I say yes.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 pm

I would be alright with for all violent criminal convictions.

That loophole seems pretty glaring, if you're already pondering such a thing.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:18 pm

Agreed

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:38 pm

Former Dolphin Jonathan Martin :shock:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-jon ... 56287.html
Harvard-Westlake High School in Los Angeles was closed on Friday after the prep school learned of an online threat from an alum, believed to be former Miami Dolphins offensive lineman Jonathan Martin.

A former Harvard-Westlake student made an indirect threat on Instagram, seeking revenge as a bully victim, police told multiple media outlets in Los Angeles. Officials reportedly sent an alert around 7 a.m. warning students of a “security risk” and closing the school’s two campuses in the city on Friday.

That student was identified as Martin by 12up.com’s Nick Brown. Brown shared a screen grab of Martin’s verified Instagram account that shows the disturbing image of a gun, surrounded by bullets, with the caption, “When you’re a bully victim & a coward, your options are suicide, or revenge.”