Politics And Current Events

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:56 am

You know there were probably about 8 gajillion of these recalibrations over the years that went unnoticed.

Amazon isn’t caving in response to their stock price or something. It’s just a thing companies do. And have always done.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:15 am

Much like the Gone With the Wind situation, those silly aggrieved right wingers really know how to make money for the people they’re pissed at.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/05/dr-seus ... -list.html
The right wingers brought up the problematic passages in Dr. Suess and complained about Amazon looking like Hitler's mustache?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:56 am

You could have at least posted a picture of Hitler smiling so I could draw a better comparison.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:22 pm

You could have at least posted a picture of Hitler smiling so I could draw a better comparison.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:22 pm

Those Seuss books were already getting the axe in schools, btw. Seuss in general is a problematic person, and his books are mostly garbage. Even if you throw the baby out with the bath water and lose some of his treasures it doesn’t matter whatsoever. New books are better, more thoughtfully crafted and more useful.

There are infinite options for what to read your kid. None of them are a right of passage. Dr Seuss was a butthead and it’s ok if we move on.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:29 pm

Much like the Gone With the Wind situation, those silly aggrieved right wingers really know how to make money for the people they’re pissed at.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/05/dr-seus ... -list.html
The right wingers brought up the problematic passages in Dr. Suess and complained about Amazon looking like Hitler's mustache?
They got pissed that the libtards cancelled Dr. Seuss so they went on Amazon and bought a **** ton of Dr. Seuss books without ever once realizing that the decision to stop publishing six books that no one has ever heard of was made by the Dr. Seuss Enterprises.

Nice try though.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:08 pm

That's what I don't get about the Suess stuff. Didn't the company itself stop publishing those books? I haven't heard any out-cry, outside of the right screaming canceled, but I haven't heard anything else as to what is in the books that's considered bad.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:23 pm

I believe the issue the Seuss publishers wanted to rectify was that certain races were charicatured in an offensive manner (Chinese people with squint eyes and buck teeth, just for an example). They said it didn't reflect their values, nor Dr. Seuss's thoughts later in his life, so they were pulling them.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:31 pm

I guess we won't be seeing Mr Magoo anymore.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:33 pm

Whole bunch of old cartoons were blatantly racist.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:36 pm

Also, African drawn as half-monkeys, pretty standard racism, and also very much of it's time. I think most people are capable of processing that fact that it's impossible to apply modern standards to the past but that it doesn't make the content less offensive. Like, this stuff wasn't "discovered", these things were known about Seuss, the publisher just made some objectively correct decision, but thought leaders on the right have been pushing cancel culture as some issue that is important for years now, so this is what happens.

But yes, please go mine twitter for dumb people expressing outrage at dumb things like the Amazon hitler stache, that definitely balances the scale with member of congress speaking about racist dr seuss illustrations on the floor.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:05 pm

Those Seuss books were already getting the axe in schools, btw. Seuss in general is a problematic person, and his books are mostly garbage. Even if you throw the baby out with the bath water and lose some of his treasures it doesn’t matter whatsoever. New books are better, more thoughtfully crafted and more useful.

There are infinite options for what to read your kid. None of them are a right of passage. Dr Seuss was a butthead and it’s ok if we move on.
Disagree on the garbage. They are great for emerging readers and encourage the building blocks of reading by using words that an early reader develops into sight words. Blends in general are a huge part of learning how to read because they are multiple letters that make one sound.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:34 pm

Welp.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:47 pm

Disagree on the garbage. They are great for emerging readers and encourage the building blocks of reading by using words that an early reader develops into sight words. Blends in general are a huge part of learning how to read because they are multiple letters that make one sound.
I don't particularly care, we've already got "Mulberry St." & "If I ran the Zoo" and think they're both fun reads with the kids that they can do themselves at an early stage. The sing song nature of many of them also have helped my kids develop narrative voice , inflection, and even some of their own character voices. We have thoroughly enjoyed 90% of the Seuss books we've read.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:47 pm

Welp.
#jackpot

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:50 pm

Speaking of Texas, I enjoyed Abbott dodinting to Biden about releasing Covid-infected immigrants, saying that they pose a threat to the safety of Texans, just days after eliminating the mask mandate. That guy can eat a Texas-sized bullet.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:07 pm

I don't particularly care, we've already got "Mulberry St." & "If I ran the Zoo" and think they're both fun reads with the kids that they can do themselves at an early stage. The sing song nature of many of them also have helped my kids develop narrative voice , inflection, and even some of their own character voices. We have thoroughly enjoyed 90% of the Seuss books we've read.
Try to keep your eyes dry reading "Oh, The Places You'll Go" while imagining your kids growing into adulthood. Can't be done

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:17 pm

What a NTP66

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:17 pm

What a NTP66
**** beat me to it.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:18 pm

Speaking of Texas, I enjoyed Abbott dodinting to Biden about releasing Covid-infected immigrants, saying that they pose a threat to the safety of Texans, just days after eliminating the mask mandate. That guy can eat a Texas-sized bullet.
You do realize that 15 states never had a mask mandate and that ending a mask mandate doesn't mean it's illegal to wear a mask now, that it also has no effect on local mask ordinances or individual company policies or personal preference.

What if I told you as well there is no statistical difference between having a mask mandate and not having one.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:19 pm

What if I told you I knew this would be your response, Dr. Freddy?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:20 pm

Oh the Places You'll Go and Fox in Sox are the only books i'd describe as essential Seuss. Cat in the Hat is too long, and not good or fun to read IMO. Books like Hop on Pop, ABC's, etc...they're fun, but it's all the same book and of course it's all gibberish.

I understand that the whimsy is fun and that it's a way to cultivate vocal cadence and whatnot, but there are contemporary books that do it better. The appeal of Seuss is that it's structured nonsense with uniquely weird illustrations. The world will keep spinning.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:20 pm

What if I told you I knew this would be your response, Dr. Freddy?
Statistics beat feelings.

*shrug*

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:22 pm

I'm sure the removal of the mask mandate will have no effect whatsoever on the spread of Covid.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:23 pm

What a NTP66
what a ridiculous t.w.a.t. love the sassy skirt. so happy you've achieved your dream of minor, temporary celebrity.

manchin is what it is. anything in WV is found money. but she should have a primary rammed into her stupid face, regardless of how electable her challenger is. there's no room for someone like this in the dem senate.