Politics And Current Events

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:24 pm

CBS has already fired Charlie Rose--his cohosts excoriated him pretty badly this morning. Pretty incredible how quickly one can go from one of the most respected men in the last half-decade of journalism, to a Molestapalooza punchline.

At what point do we start asking questions of these accomplices who said nothing while guys like Rose went around doing what they did.

What a bunch of hogwash to run a man down that you were giggling with a week ago.
Shhhh....

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Re: Net Neutrality...it's all over Reddit right now. Wow.

I've done a ton of Internet research into this over the last couple of months, and I'm honestly not sure where I stand. There have been so many doomsday scenarios painted everywhere over what will happen if it's repealed, it's hard to filter through a lot of the noise. I am an avid Internet user, gamer, streamer, etc., so I am probably one of those people that should be the most worried if all of these prophecies come to pass.

I found an article on Forbes from a few years ago:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreydor ... 03bf5fdc8f
Net neutrality seems like a simple concept: the company that links your computer/tablet/smartphone to the internet should not be able to discriminate among users and providers in the level of connectivity service provided. That is, we should all be able to send and receive the same number of bits of data per second.

This is a bad idea for the same reason that only having vanilla ice cream for sale is a bad idea: some people want, and are willing to pay for, something different. Forcing a one-size-fits-all solution on the Internet stifles innovation by blocking some companies from turning new ideas or business models into successful products.
And regarding the constant cable comparisons:
Also, we need to stop the poor analogies about net neutrality. Neil Irwin, in The New York Times, says it is like deciding whether Internet connections should be like electricity or cable television. His idea is that we all get the same electric service (net neutrality), but can pay for different levels of cable tv. Yet, in many places people pay for different electric service. In California (and other places), customers can get a lower rate if they agree to let the electric utility turn off their air conditioner during peak usage hours.
Similarly, the fact that some businesses or consumers may choose to pay for better access to the Internet is not a bad thing. Some people pay more to fly first class, but they do not interfere with my travel in coach.
Again, I'm really not sure where I stand...I probably lean for it 60/40, but it's just hard to tell what will really happen. I don't think the comparisons to Portugal are necessarily apt.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:18 pm

Why not re Portugal? That's what an unregulated ISP market looks like.

Put it this way: Net neutrality should be the baseline starting point for all consumers. If ISPs want to offer pared down products that allow them to curate your connection for you in exchange for a reduced rate, let's have that conversation. And I don't mind paying a surcharge to make sure my speeds and data are not capped every month. But it's a very real possibility that in markets where there are only one or two options, you could see ISPs striking exclusive deals with this outlet or that so that if you want to go to your favorite news site, you get redirected to the 'preferred' news site of the ISP because they've struck a deal.

Also worth noting that something like 90% of 'popular' media in this country is controlled by a handful of companies.

Because of the way the internet got started - piggybacking on telephone lines - the path was laid for improper regulation almost from day one. We're well past those days, and internet access should be treated like a public utility. Otherwise, the problem for consumers is always going to be at the access point. Controlling access should be agnostic.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:31 pm

But it's a very real possibility that in markets where there are only one or two options, you could see ISPs striking exclusive deals with this outlet or that so that if you want to go to your favorite news site, you get redirected to the 'preferred' news site of the ISP because they've struck a deal.

Also worth noting that something like 90% of 'popular' media in this country is controlled by a handful of companies.

Because of the way the internet got started - piggybacking on telephone lines - the path was laid for improper regulation almost from day one. We're well past those days, and internet access should be treated like a public utility. Otherwise, the problem for consumers is always going to be at the access point. Controlling access should be agnostic.
:thumb:

I agree with you, and I think this is the biggest flaw in Pai's argument. Obviously, competition is great for consumers. That will never happen in this world, unless some drastic, unlikely changes are made.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:07 pm

The botched rollout of the Trump administration's first executive order banning travel from several majority Muslim nations resulted in federal agents violating court orders by telling airlines not to admit certain passengers, according to a Homeland Security watchdog.

"During the early period of implementation of the order, neither CBP nor the department was sure of the answers to basic questions as to the scope of the order," he said.

According to Roth, the Trump administration is now seeking to hide its failures by engaging in a battle with the inspector general over whether large sections of the watchdog's report should be redacted prior to its public release.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... nitial?amp

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 pm

This is a bad idea for the same reason that only having vanilla ice cream for sale is a bad idea: some people want, and are willing to pay for, something different.
Meh, that's a pretty BS argument, imo. People already pay for something different. Comcast has several different tiers of internet speed. I'm willing to pay almost twice as much for a fast connection. Would I be willing to pay even more for Netflix, Hulu, etc? I highly doubt it. I'd stop paying for those subscriptions, pay less for the internet, and keep adding to my BD/DVD collection instead.

The fact that companies like Comcast are wildly in favor of this shows, to me, that it's a crappy deal for consumers. Comcast isn't wanting this to benefit customers who don't stream, they want it because they'll make more money. And in areas like Somerset where Comcast is the only real option, consumers are up a creek.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:46 pm

That's the biggest reason it worries me too. Whatever Comcast supports is bad

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:47 pm

It will crush smaller ISPs who rely on the infrastructure of the big telcos.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:11 am

"Big-Name" Conservatism is such a dead rotting corpse now. I lay this blame largely on George W. Bush, but Trump gets his fair share of it as well. So much of what I used to read is just barren nonsense in its rabid Anti-Trumpism and its pro-Trumpism babbling over who is the "real cause" for the GOP's woes. For me this disillusionment started under George W. Bush (NCLB being the first of many anti-conservative actions of GWB lapped up by the same anti-Trump people who all of a sudden are conservative again). It is like the American Right is only concerned with being the minority so that it doesn't have to deal with actually putting a conservative agenda in real life. GWB quadrupled the debt with his inane wars, Medicare Part D doubled the size of HHS, NCLB doubled the size of Dept. of Ed, TARP was a huge handout to big business, Homeland Security was dreamed up in a lab by Trotskyites, etc... The defending of Roy Moore is kind of the last straw for me. I'm done. See you later American Conservatism. Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:24 am

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:29 am

good morning

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:42 am

"Big-Name" Conservatism is such a dead rotting corpse now. I lay this blame largely on George W. Bush, but Trump gets his fair share of it as well. So much of what I used to read is just barren nonsense in its rabid Anti-Trumpism and its pro-Trumpism babbling over who is the "real cause" for the GOP's woes. For me this disillusionment started under George W. Bush (NCLB being the first of many anti-conservative actions of GWB lapped up by the same anti-Trump people who all of a sudden are conservative again). It is like the American Right is only concerned with being the minority so that it doesn't have to deal with actually putting a conservative agenda in real life. GWB quadrupled the debt with his inane wars, Medicare Part D doubled the size of HHS, NCLB doubled the size of Dept. of Ed, TARP was a huge handout to big business, Homeland Security was dreamed up in a lab by Trotskyites, etc... The defending of Roy Moore is kind of the last straw for me. I'm done. See you later American Conservatism. Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.
What next, then?

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:48 am

good morning
He’s diverting attention from his millionaire tax cut and endorsement of child molestation.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:49 am

What next, then?
Nihilism

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:52 am

:(

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:03 am

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:13 am

Kneeling for the anthem isn't exactly in the zeitgeist anymore. Cool tweet bro.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:18 am

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:20 am

That NY Post layout did the guy from the Walkkng Dead dirty.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:22 am

Apparently Ajit Pai or whatever the **** his name is is now under investigation by Congress.

Maybe net neutrality might stay.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:24 am

Apparently Ajit Pai or whatever the **** his name is is now under investigation by Congress.

what is he under investigation for?

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:38 am

what is he under investigation for?
Reese's over M&Ms?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:42 am

He is? I see nothing on him being investigated.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:45 am

Misworded, my apologies.

Some Congressmen want to put him under investigation in relation to this ending net neutrality thing. Something with his connections to Sinclair Broadcast Group, and how his actions may be related to improper relations with said group (he's doing things to benefit then specifically, according to the Congressmen).

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:48 am

Misworded, my apologies.

Some Congressmen want to put him under investigation in relation to this ending net neutrality thing. I'm not sure what it would be for.
:thumb: