Politics And Current Events

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:23 am

Out of curiosity, what was wrong with Jones as a candidate other than he was a democrat in Alabama? I know all about Moore's horribleness, but I'm not aware of what makes Jones "a little less awful".
Jones is a pretty "normal" Democrat, who would lose by 15 or 20 to generic GOP candidate.

Just like a "normal" Republican would lose to a generic DNC candidate by the same margin in whatever solid blue state you'd like to name.

The "little less awful" is obviously coming from a partisan GOP flak in that tweet, but one who did recommend Republicans vote for Jones to keep Moore out of the Senate.
I thought maybe there were stories of him diddling 17 year olds instead of 14 year olds or something that makes him a little less awful. Or maybe there were other skeletons in his closet. "A little less awful" than Roy Moore does not describe Jones well imo, and seemingly not in your opinion either, so it's confusing for you to call that the only rational take on twitter, unless you were being sarcastic, in which case, I apologize for missing the joke.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:28 am

Matt Drudge with a rare tweet:
Luther Strange would have won in a landslide... Just too much crazy in nerve racking times,” Drudge said Tuesday night in a rare tweet. “There IS a limit!”
He's also shtting all over Bannon too. He's right...even for God-fearing, gun-toting Alabamians, there is a limit to the crazy they will tolerate from the party they've supported their whole lives.

The_Donald, in their constant spin cycle, is setting up Bannon as their sacrificial lamb.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:29 am

It could have been phrased better, but the message is the same.

Far too many hot takes today are overthinking and over applying what happened in Alabama yesterday.

Moore was a spectacularly awful candidate.

That's primarily the only real lesson from the race. Republicans should be happy the Jones won and Democrats should be happy that Jones won. Everybody wins, except Moore of course.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:29 am

He refutes the claim of watching tv, and then tweets at fox and friends.
Wow, more than 90% of Fake News Media coverage of me is negative, with numerous forced retractions of untrue stories. Hence my use of Social Media, the only way to get the truth out. Much of Mainstream Meadia has become a joke! @foxandfriends

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:35 am

He refutes the claim of watching tv, and then tweets at fox and friends.
Wow, more than 90% of Fake News Media coverage of me is negative, with numerous forced retractions of untrue stories. Hence my use of Social Media, the only way to get the truth out. Much of Mainstream Meadia has become a joke! @foxandfriends
This was less than 24 hours ago and he wonders why coverage about him is negative?
Lightweight Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a total flunky for Chuck Schumer and someone who would come to my office “begging” for campaign contributions not so long ago (and would do anything for them), is now in the ring fighting against Trump. Very disloyal to Bill & Crooked-USED!

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:36 am

Far too many hot takes today are overthinking and over applying what happened in Alabama yesterday.

That's primarily the only real lesson from the race. Republicans should be happy the Jones won and Democrats should be happy that Jones won. Everybody wins, except Moore of course.
I agree, I think the whole Strange-Moore primary where Strange was rejected because of his apparent deal with Bentley leading to Moore's win there. The part being tone-deaf in backing Strange leading to Moore.

Do we have any numbers on how voter turnout was impacted? I saw something where the black vote made up 30% of the turnout, that seemed crazy.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:36 am

Agreed. A lot of pundits and media are breathlessly talking about how this is a rebuke of Trump....just not seeing it. It's a rebuke of Moore.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:40 am

Agreed. A lot of pundits and media are breathlessly talking about how this is a rebuke of Trump....just not seeing it. It's a rebuke of Moore.
Trump's approval rating in the exit polls was under 50%. A rebuke of Trump is not the primary story, but it's definitely there at least that he's motivating his opposition to vote.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:40 am

Source of the post It's a rebuke of Moore.
and honestly, it's kind of sick that the numbers were even that close. Trump hitched his wagon to Moore, the attention is warranted.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:41 am

No disagreement there. And as Drudge said in Shad's post... there is a limit to the madness, apparently.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:56 am

The biggest takeaway from this is that even though this country is ridiculously partisan, that a pedophile cannot win.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:59 am

Here is the only rational take existing on Twitter this morning

https://twitter.com/ScotsFyre/status/940916470082551808
Significant lesson from Alabama & 2016 generally. A terrible candidate will lose to someone a little less awful.
the "2016 generally" refers to...?

i wouldn't call a tweet that's 50% wrong "the only rational take". i also think this ignores the fact that 72% of white men and 63% of white women voted for moore. i don't think this election indicates that people have limits. if there's a hot take to be found, it's that awful candidates bring out new voters. black people, in this case, came out in higher numbers, right? and they effectively won the election for jones.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:01 am

Significant lesson from Alabama & 2016 generally. A terrible candidate will lose to someone a little less awful.

i wouldn't call a tweet that's 50% wrong "the only rational take". i also think this ignores the fact that 72% of white men and 63% of white women voted for moore. i don't think this election indicates that people have limits. if there's a hot take to be found, it's that awful candidates bring out new voters. black people, in this case, came out in higher numbers, right? and they effectively won the election for jones.

You’re also ignoring the fact that many people sat at home instead of voting. So the tweet is right.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:01 am

I guess the lesson is that God is a black woman.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:04 am

You’re also ignoring the fact that many people sat at home instead of voting. So his the tweet is right.
well no, not really. the tweet is presumably using 2016's presidential election as evidence that someone "a little less awful" tends to win. which is a head scratcher to say the least.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:06 am

It's not a head scratcher if you are like grunty and think Clinton was the little less awful choice to Trump.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:07 am

It's not a head scratcher if you are like grunty and think Clinton was the little less awful choice to Trump.
nah - they're both exactly the same. duh.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:09 am

This is how I feel as well. Anyone jumping out and saying that this is the beginning of a massive momentum shift for Democrats is in for some disappointment.

I do think the Trevor Noah's of the world do owe Alabama an apology; but in all likelihood they'll see their shaming of the citizenry as the reason for Jones win. Not saying that Alabama is noble by any stretch but in the end they (collectively) did the right thing and that is more credit than most people gave them leading up to the election.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:09 am

No trump is worse, but not by much.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:10 am

No trump is worse, but not by much.
so hillary is definitively "a little less awful".
Last edited by shmenguin on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:10 am

This is how I feel as well. Anyone jumping out and saying that this is the beginning of a massive momentum shift for Democrats is in for some disappointment.

I do think the Trevor Noah's of the world do owe Alabama an apology; but in all likelihood they'll see their shaming of the citizenry as the reason for Jones win. Not saying that Alabama is noble by any stretch but in the end they (collectively) did the right thing and that is more credit than most people gave them leading up to the election.
If by collectively, you mean the black voters of Alabama, I agree. They did the right thing.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:11 am

My takeaway is that the Dem party should have a brain and realize that getting out the vote is a key for their success (not necessarily for for future AL elections).

I *think* that Perez guy gets it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:12 am

While there is clearly some outlier aspects to the Alabama election, this combined with the VA results reflects the environment for the upcoming big elections. Trump's approval rating is trash even with the positive economic environment. Congress is about to pass legislation opposed by 75% of the country and in general people are motivated to go vote against Trump because he's objectively an appalling person and his cabinet are bunch of corrupt jags.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:12 am

Source of the post beginning of a massive momentum shift for Democrats
one could argue that Virginia was the start? Maybe not massive, but I don't think there is anything wrong saying that momentum has shifted.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:14 am

If by collectively, you mean the black voters of Alabama, I agree. They did the right thing.
the shaming of the GOP, Moore and the citizenry absolutely contributed to the outcome. if this was never a national issue, moore wins and wins big. and the 30% or so of white people who chose not to vote for the pedophile...yes - give those people an apology, trevor. i mean...most of them were probably aligned with you to begin with and weren't your targets, but apologize!