Politics And Current Events

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:33 pm

ACB just said her philosophy was the same as Scalia’s, but no need to freak out leftists.
From a strictly legal perspective, Scalia is one of the most brilliant *judicial* minds to ever be on the SCOTUS. I believe slappy, who is certainly no conservative, used to talk often about how much he enjoyed reading his opinions.

From that perspective, Scalia is definitely someone I can see wanting to emulate.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:34 pm

If Barrett believes that women should be meekly submissive, then someone needs to tell her that she's screwing it up by going to law school, clerking for two prominent judges, teaching at Notre Dame, and sitting on the Seventh Circuit, where, oddly enough, not one of her opinions says "I defer to my male colleagues because they're men and I'm supposed to do whatever they say."
Yup. She is eminently qualified.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:45 pm

But is she likeable?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:52 pm

But is she likeable?
Can she be a right handed shot?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:58 pm

Meanwhile, her POP “membership” just reinforces her positions on things. It’s the symptom, not the ‘ailment.’
So we should have a religious test for office?
Religion shouldn’t qualify or dis-qualify anyone from office. Religious beliefs shouldn’t drive policy/ decide anything ever, imo.

The second it does, is the major problem.
She just said in her remarks that she agreed.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:01 pm

Meanwhile, her POP “membership” just reinforces her positions on things. It’s the symptom, not the ‘ailment.’
It’s not the religion, it’s the belief in a natural order/hierarchy that hasn’t existed since women went to work in the factories in WW2.

As for police immunity, in that respect she’s better than Trump’s other possibility from FL who’s name I don’t remember. It just jives with the Govt’t shouldn’t exist to guarantee practically anything mentality of conservatives so it’s one of few subjects I’ve always thought everybody could come together on.

As for Chevron, Scalia was very much in the mindset that you never needed it because if it’s written in the law verbatim you can do it, and if not you can’t. He never saw a gray area. Haven’t found anything on ACB’s views yet.
If she thinks that about women's roles she's doing a terrible job of living that out in real life.

I mean being on SCOTUS kind of flies in the face of being the mom on Leave It to Beaver.

It's almost like whoever is feeding information to the outlets you are reading doesn't know anything about her.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:17 pm

Schedule is out.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:22 pm

Schedule is out.

More accurate schedule:

Oct 12: Grandstanding.
Oct. 13+14: Grandstanding only slightly disguised as questions. The nominee's answers are irrelevant.
Oct. 15: Start wasting time when every Democrat has already decided to vote no.
Oct. 22: Shockingly, every Democrat on the Judiciary Committee votes no.
Oct. 26: Every member of the Senate finally gets a turn to grandstand, rather than just the Judiciary Committee members.
Oct. 28 or 29th: Shockingly, every Democrat again votes no.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:31 pm

I'm too lazy to look it up, but didn't Manchin vote yes on Kavanaugh?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:36 pm

Religion shouldn’t qualify or dis-qualify anyone from office. Religious beliefs shouldn’t drive policy/ decide anything ever, imo.

Like everything else, proof is in the pudding.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:41 pm

What of her record on the bench reflects your concern?

How do you plan on judging that going forward (no pun intended)?

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:44 pm

Schedule is out.

More accurate schedule:

Oct 12: Grandstanding.
Oct. 13+14: Grandstanding only slightly disguised as questions. The nominee's answers are irrelevant.
Oct. 15: Start wasting time when every Democrat has already decided to vote no.
Oct. 22: Shockingly, every Democrat on the Judiciary Committee votes no.
Oct. 26: Every member of the Senate finally gets a turn to grandstand, rather than just the Judiciary Committee members.
Oct. 28 or 29th: Shockingly, every Democrat again votes no.
I mean, couldn’t you also just says that Shockingly, almost every republican will vote yes? This isn’t partisan in just one side.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:05 pm

What of her record on the bench reflects your concern?

How do you plan on judging that going forward (no pun intended)?
I actually think she’s probably more qualified than Kavanaugh.

I have no concerns with this person honestly, I just don’t like religion driving choices in politics and I hope all this talk is actual truth.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:08 pm

It’s not the religion, it’s the belief in a natural order/hierarchy that hasn’t existed since women went to work in the factories in WW2.

As for police immunity, in that respect she’s better than Trump’s other possibility from FL who’s name I don’t remember. It just jives with the Govt’t shouldn’t exist to guarantee practically anything mentality of conservatives so it’s one of few subjects I’ve always thought everybody could come together on.

As for Chevron, Scalia was very much in the mindset that you never needed it because if it’s written in the law verbatim you can do it, and if not you can’t. He never saw a gray area. Haven’t found anything on ACB’s views yet.
If she thinks that about women's roles she's doing a terrible job of living that out in real life.

I mean being on SCOTUS kind of flies in the face of being the mom on Leave It to Beaver.

It's almost like whoever is feeding information to the outlets you are reading doesn't know anything about her.
So then she’s a hypocrite religiously, and I suddenly identify with her a lot more :mrgreen: The group she belongs to is interesting, but admittedly being a SCOTUS Judge doesn’t jive with their 30 second outline of fairly rigid gender roles.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:26 pm

The next step is to question her bench experience.

Elena Kagan and Thurgood Marshall (among a dozen others) could not be reached for comment.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:31 pm

To be fair, I would expect someone who's up for SCOTUS to have an illustrious career with the experience that comes with it, wouldn't you?

Doesn't 3 years just come across as, pretty young, and set for life to alter the courts in a conservative, or liberal favor if the shoe was on the other foot?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:33 pm

I think it’s weird, but when I started looking at the history of justices I saw that decades in academia and relatively little experience on the bench isn’t unusual at all.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:34 pm

Well that's good to know then. I know the basic amount of information - but that's my immediate thought who doesn't know the ins and outs. I would just think these people would have actual experience on the bench, unless the lack of experience is just overtly experience and ability to control a seat for a long time with a conservative or liberal.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:47 pm

The way I look at it is an Appeals court or SCOTUS isn’t dealing with the minutiae of the case. They don’t have to be well versed on procedure and detail, they’re much more into the theoretical side. So being an academic isn’t a hinderance, it’s actually a benefit.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:49 pm

Elana Kagan had zero experience in judicial proceedings as a judge.

She's proven to be a very good jurist and was approved 63-37.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:56 pm

Appellate practice is its own world with specialized skills. It's probably the most "academic" of the various legal specialties, and it requires someone to be highly skilled in research, writing, and critical thinking. People with those skills make for good appellate judges, and plenty of SCOTUS nominees never had judicial experience prior to taking the bench, including Elena Kagan, Lewis Powell, Byron White, William Douglas, Harlan Stone, Felix Frankfurter, Owen Roberts, Louis Brandeis, and plenty more. Heck, John Jay, John Marshall, Charles Hughes, and Earl Warren had never been judges before being appointed as Chief Justice.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:08 am

Appellate practice is its own world with specialized skills. It's probably the most "academic" of the various legal specialties, and it requires someone to be highly skilled in research, writing, and critical thinking. People with those skills make for good appellate judges, and plenty of SCOTUS nominees never had judicial experience prior to taking the bench, including Elena Kagan, Lewis Powell, Byron White, William Douglas, Harlan Stone, Felix Frankfurter, Owen Roberts, Louis Brandeis, and plenty more. Heck, John Jay, John Marshall, Charles Hughes, and Earl Warren had never been judges before being appointed as Chief Justice.
you should’ve thrown a fake name in there to see if we were actually reading the list or not

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:12 am

Most useful page in the history of this thread?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:22 am

While holding these events outdoors is obviously better than having them inside, I fear that the virus can spread easier outdoors when the weather gets colder (stays alive longer in the open colder air).

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:57 am

Now do the protests