Politics And Current Events

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:59 am

Even slightly comparing these two moments shows ignorance and stupidity.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:08 pm

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Cool

malkintent

Postby malkintent » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Your brain is dented

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:28 pm

Your brain is dented
I missed the part where the United States is rounding up Latin Americans and exterminating them.

But basically the same.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:52 pm

Hi Freddy!

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:54 pm

that’s not how analogies work.

When people compare trump to hitler, they mean he’s a populist blow hard leaning on nationalism and bigoted hate to win over ignorant, vulnerable, disenfranchised supporters. Nobody outside the fringe left thinks he’s genocidal.

With this, immigrants are being treated as subhuman, and being vilified and blamed for problems they aren’t causing. That’s what people here see when these comparisons are made. The absence of gas chambers doesn’t kill this comparison. It simply proves this regime are better than nazis. Which is again what everyone outside the fringe actually thinks.

See, not every detail has to align. And if you feel this is unfair, maybe don’t tacitly support the people responsible. Just like no one here supports several of Obama’s acts. Or maybe we should all just show more compassion towards people born in the wrong part of the world who feel they have no other choice but to try to come here - despite the strong chance of being treated like animals. And hiding behind “they broke the law” is just armor to continue to not see them as equals.
Last edited by shmenguin on Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Nothing brings Freddy out faster than calling someone from the Trump admin a nazi. :lol:

malkintent

Postby malkintent » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Your brain is dented
I missed the part where the United States is rounding up Latin Americans and exterminating them.

But basically the same.
Concentration camps didn't start out as death camps. Detainment in overcrowded conditions without due process based on being different is the stage were at. Did you miss that part?

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:26 pm

With this, immigrants are being treated as subhuman, and being vilified and blamed for problems they aren’t causing.

TIL the thousands of non citizens crossing the border aren't the ones causing the problem of illegal border crossings. Who knew?
Just like no one here supports several of Obama’s acts.
We just waited until someone else was in office to care about them. Bask in our compassion!

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:47 pm

The nazis were ok up until the gassing part.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:48 pm

We've finally arrived.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:33 pm

“In my work with the defendants (at the Nuremberg Trails 1945-1949)
I was searching for the nature of evil and I now think I have come close to defining it. A lack of empathy. It’s the one characteristic that connects all the
defendants, a genuine incapacity to feel with their fellow men.
Evil, I think, is the absence of empathy.”

Captain G. M. Gilbert, the Army psychologist assigned to watching the defendants at the Nuremberg trials.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:35 pm

Pretty Christian of Pence, that's for sure.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:00 pm

When people compare trump to hitler, they mean he’s a populist blow hard leaning on nationalism and bigoted hate to win over ignorant, vulnerable, disenfranchised supporters. Nobody outside the fringe left thinks he’s genocidal.

With this, immigrants are being treated as subhuman, and being vilified and blamed for problems they aren’t causing. That’s what people here see when these comparisons are made. The absence of gas chambers doesn’t kill this comparison. It simply proves this regime are better than nazis. Which is again what everyone outside the fringe actually thinks.

See, not every detail has to align. And if you feel this is unfair, maybe don’t tacitly support the people responsible. Just like no one here supports several of Obama’s acts. Or maybe we should all just show more compassion towards people born in the wrong part of the world who feel they have no other choice but to try to come here - despite the strong chance of being treated like animals. And hiding behind “they broke the law” is just armor to continue to not see them as equals.
So is it ok to compare people voting for senators who solicit sex from underage prostitutes to those that vote for a president that is a misogynistic ass and possible statutory rapist?

I was told those two scenarios couldn’t be compared because they were too extreme from each other.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:02 pm

Your brain is dented

But basically the same.
Concentration camps didn't start out as death camps. Detainment in overcrowded conditions without due process based on being different is the stage were at. Did you miss that part?

No. Uneducated compare these two situations.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:07 pm

I might be wrong, but I do remember the Obama admin having a ton of trouble with unaccompanied minors that they were detaining at facilities comparable to this. But then there was some law that said they couldn’t be held for more than 72 hours or something. Then the policy was to release the migrants pending their future court date for their asylum claim.

Trump obviously ditched the part that stopped the detentions and overcrowded detention centers. The trump admin thinks any empathy towards the migrants is bad politics with his base. It’s pretty sick, but what were people supposed to do? Vote for Clinton? Can you imagine a deliberative and rational leadership tasked with solving these difficult problems? The horrror.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:08 pm

This is more akin to less civilized internment camps, the ones that certain R-leaning posters here are super quick to remind us all were instituted by a Democrat, as if that's supposed to be cover for being okay with this nonsense.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:13 pm

I think the big point everyone is missing here is that Canaan and Freddy came back on the same day... coincidence?

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:20 pm

I think the big point everyone is missing here is that Canaan and Freddy came back on the same day... coincidence?
This makes me so happy.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:24 pm

This is more akin to less civilized internment camps, the ones that certain R-leaning posters here are super quick to remind us all were instituted by a Democrat, as if that's supposed to be cover for being okay with this nonsense.
No one here is ok with the conditions. Just some like to make moronic comparisons to Nazi extermination camps.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:26 pm

At least both sides can be triggered by obvious troll posts. WE HAVE REACHED COMMON GROUND!

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:29 pm

The original photo wasn't even a concentration camp, was it? Pretty certain it's a POW camp as all of those behind the fence are wearing military attire.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:33 pm

So is it ok to compare people voting for senators who solicit sex from underage prostitutes to those that vote for a president that is a misogynistic ass and possible statutory rapist?

I was told those two scenarios couldn’t be compared because they were too extreme from each other.
You want to focus on the meta, go for it. I don’t care about how you want to parse the behavior of people here. The rest of us are upset at people who don’t look like us being treated like animals. I don’t like what Obama’s admin did. I don’t like what this admin is doing. Take some of that federal bloat, and acknowledge that there’s a monetary price to be the cool kids table. When people try to join, it’s ok if there’s no more room. Don’t just treat them like this. Build a humane system to send them back home. That’s all I want, personally.