Politics And Current Events

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:37 pm

- Cohen admits in plea he knew he was breaking campaign finance law by making Stormy and McDougal payments, per Trump's instruction

- Career prosecutors in SDNY (an office run by a Trump appointee) turn "Individual-1" into a meme

- SDNY judge accepts prosecution filing characterizing payments as campaign finance violation

- AMI stipulates they cooperated in catch-and-kill practices specifically to influence the election

That's four separate lines of stipulation to felonies committed directed and/or abetted by Trump.

The judge that sentenced Cohen was a Clinton appointee, so that will probably get fun before too long.
Did Cohen tell Trump what he was asking was illegal?
Do you think it mattered? I mean that's what needs to be proven.
I’m pretty sure felony violation of campaign finance laws requires that you need to knowingly and willingly violate the law.

The lawyers in here can correct me if I’m wrong.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:39 pm

That's what I'm saying though. They need to prove Trump was knowingly doing it. Cohen can say he was directed all day long, but there's still proof that needs to be shown. SO I was actually agreeing with you, lol.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:44 pm

Grunty just needs Trump to say that he didn't know it was illegal.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:44 pm

I think the only interesting things I gathered today was the AMI stuff, and the Mueller lawyer saying that Cohen gave "links between a campaign and a foreign government."

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:03 pm

The all-time worst serial killer (78 victims) sentenced today

https://siberiantimes.com/other/others/ ... -for-life/

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:06 pm

"He was furious and upset today as he heard that his police rank and state pensions were striped of."

k

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Butina’s plea deal agreement hearing is scheduled for tomorrow.
Putin says none of his spy handlers know who she is, but Russia is asserting that the US tortured her.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:08 pm

I think the only interesting things I gathered today was the AMI stuff, and the Mueller lawyer saying that Cohen gave "links between a campaign and a foreign government."
I agree. None of this stuff is new. It's just AMI admitting to what we already knew and Cohen getting sentenced for a crime he plead guilty to about 2 months ago. It's really just that Trump's cronies left such a paper trail that the SDNY couldn't just ignore the crimes.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Grunty just needs Trump to say that he didn't know it was illegal.
Lol. What a pathetic troll attempt.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:18 pm

"He was furious and upset today as he heard that his police rank and state pensions were striped of."

k
i read in a different article that he confessed to the last bunch of murders only after he got assured that he will NOT be stripped off his police rank.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Would've gotten paid leave if he were Jacksonville PD.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:56 pm

Did Cohen tell Trump what he was asking was illegal?
That is not known as yet, but that wouldn't necessarily be germane to anything that's part of the Cohen plea. If Trump was told about the illegality of the payments, that likely wouldn't become public knowledge unless and until an action was commenced against Trump himself. (Absent Cohen divulging that info himself)

You are correct that foreknowledge of illegality is an element of proving guilt in this case. I do not think they would've moved against Cohen on these charges absent some sort of corroborating evidence establishing Cohen's CYI on this front, like perhaps an audio recording of him explaining the jeopardy to Trump.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:08 pm

Butina’s plea deal agreement hearing is scheduled for tomorrow.
Putin says none of his spy handlers know who she is, but Russia is asserting that the US tortured her.
There have been at least half a dozen Russian consular visits to her in prison; Foreign Minister Lavrov has personally discussed her case at least twice with Secretary Pompeo; the official Kremlin Twitter handle changed its avatar (*sigh*, avatars...) to a photo of her and launched the #FreeMariaButina; the Russian government submitted more diplomatic notes on her behalf in the first 30 days of her incarceration than they had for any other Russian national in the whole year prior.

I'm sure that's nothing.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:57 pm

It looks like Pelosi has struck a deal with insurgent libbies in the Democratic party to limit her Speakership to four years (or less, if the Republicans retake in the House in 2020). This is in keeping with what others have characterized as a 'transitional' tenure, and will all but assure her of the votes to win leadership.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:45 pm

With any luck she won't survive it, isn't she like 88 years old?
Obvious hyperbole should be obvious, but if not, I am not wishing death upon her.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:49 pm

You're probably thinking of DiFi, who was just reelected to a six-year term as a mid-octogenarian. Pelosi is only like 78.

:wink:

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:24 pm

This AMI stuff look very bad and very illegal.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Yeah, and there is a small duffle bag full of other potential chargeable offenses wrapped up in that pie. Those transactions possibly also constitute bank fraud, wire fraud, tax evasion, etc.

And I think it's funny hearing people defend (if that's the right word) the campaign finance violation puece by claiming members of Congress may get caught up in that. This isn't a paper mistake like simple failure to disclose, or unwitting acceptance of an improper donation. This isn't the kind of thing that's normally handled with an administrative slap on the wrist and a $10k fine. So if it turns out members of Congress are also doing this same kind of stuff on a large scale....... f**k 'em. Let them be ferreted out for the same dispensation.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:58 pm

This AMI stuff look very bad and very illegal.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:09 pm

I have no idea what site this is...

Butina and Torshin linked to Russian private military company working in Ukraine
https://thesternfacts.com/exclusive-but ... a414b5a74c

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Yeah, and there is a small duffle bag full of other potential chargeable offenses wrapped up in that pie. Those transactions possibly also constitute bank fraud, wire fraud, tax evasion, etc.

And I think it's funny hearing people defend (if that's the right word) the campaign finance violation puece by claiming members of Congress may get caught up in that. This isn't a paper mistake like simple failure to disclose, or unwitting acceptance of an improper donation. This isn't the kind of thing that's normally handled with an administrative slap on the wrist and a $10k fine. So if it turns out members of Congress are also doing this same kind of stuff on a large scale....... f**k 'em. Let them be ferreted out for the same dispensation.
And if it is happening, they certainly aren’t conspiring with dupes like Cohen to execute it.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:43 am

The Trump administration has decided that Vietnamese migrants who arrived before the establishment of diplomatic ties between the U.S. and Vietnam are subject to standard immigration law—meaning they are all eligible for deportation. https://t.co/njUnvAjm8x

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:08 am

I often stated, “One way or the other, Mexico is going to pay for the Wall.” This has never changed. Our new deal with Mexico (and Canada), the USMCA, is so much better than the old, very costly & anti-USA NAFTA deal, that just by the money we save, MEXICO IS PAYING FOR THE WALL!
oh boy

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:17 am

:lol: The mental gymnastics there... wow.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:21 am

:lol: The mental gymnastics there... wow.
I swear somewhere it was reported that the deal is better in many ways for Canada and Mexico than NAFTA was. But trump has his name on this so.....MAGA