Politics And Current Events

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:03 pm

Judging how you handle persecution on here (people disagreeing with you), teenage NAN would have had lots of issues doing puberty in the social media world.
Wouldn't have to deal with a bunch of dumb woke libs back then. ;)

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:30 pm

I feel like we are sharing the best time in world history with the worst people ever.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:01 pm

yeah nan you have the worst takes on the board

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:20 pm

Private schools shouldn't get any public funding. "School choice" and vouchers are on deck.
Anytime a parent chooses to send their kid to a charter school it’s the public school footing the bill. The public school pays for transport and a set amount for that kid to go to the charter school. Honestly it’s a super **** way of doing things.

Private/Religious schools I’d assume are different stories though.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:25 pm

Private schools shouldn't get any public funding. "School choice" and vouchers are on deck.
Anytime a parent chooses to send their kid to a charter school it’s the public school footing the bill. The public school pays for transport and a set amount for that kid to go to the charter school. Honestly it’s a super **** way of doing things.

Is a charter school a publicly funded school?

I went to private high school and there isn't any use of public dollars for that and there shouldn't be.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:59 pm

Is a charter school a publicly funded school?

I went to private high school and there isn't any use of public dollars for that and there shouldn't be.
Yes, charter schools are publicly funded. They are basically sanctioned by the state to operate differently than a public school though. So in many ways they can do their own thing while getting public money.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:57 pm

With the current Activities of the Blackhawk school board we are one million percent considering charter school for our youngest.

Need to escape before they kill our property values

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:09 pm

With the current Activities of the Blackhawk school board we are one million percent considering charter school for our youngest.

Need to escape before they kill our property values
What is the school board doing?

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:16 pm

Currently considering all lower enrollment tech/arts/language classes, which are things that actually make students more marketable to colleges. but it’s recently become filled with anti CRT fear mongers when nobody is actually pushing CRT. But it damn sure got them elected.

They’re also considering raising taxes despite promising not to. Hope they do. I can afford it and the people who voted for them will be pissed.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:53 pm

Seems like a blow to the separation of Church and State.
I'm sure shyster will be along soon enough to let us know what a wise decision this was.

I'm not sure about "wise," but I can clarify the decision. A better headline would be, "Supreme Court rules that if a state chooses to subsidize private education, they must allow families to use taxpayer funds for tuition at schools that provide religious instruction."

The decision does not require any state to fund private religious schools. Rather, it says that if a state hands out tuition money for parents to send their kids to private schools, it cannot stop the parents from spending that money on religious private schools or exclude religious schools from the program. Maine has a tuition-assistance for parents who live in school districts that "neither operate a secondary school of their own nor contract with a particular school in another district." I guess some places are remote enough that they don't have a local public school? Anyway, in those places where no public school is available, Maine gives parents money to pay for tuition to a qualifying local private school. But Maine excluded religious schools from the program even though they otherwise met all of the academic qualifications. The SCOTUS held that excluding religious private schools from the program violates the Free Exercise Clause because it excludes religious observers from otherwise available public benefits. Basically, when a state creates a program to hand out benefits to private entities, it cannot refuse to pay out to a private entity that otherwise meets all of the program's requirements simply because that entity is religious in nature.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:55 am

I’m sure my comparison is flawed but it reminds me of some sort of public transport that has a stop at a church; be it a train or a bus.

The public service can’t avoid the religious entity just because it’s religious

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:53 am

https://apnews.com/article/transgender- ... b57ae266f7

Saw this the other day. Figure I'd post since we've had this discussion here a few months ago. World swimming has banned Transgender women from competing in women swimming events. There are a few exceptions, including if you transitioned before the age of 12. They are looking to add events though where trangender individuals can compete against each other.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:15 am

Our long national nightmare is over

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:18 am

Separate but equal events, NAN?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:42 am

Currently considering all lower enrollment tech/arts/language classes, which are things that actually make students more marketable to colleges. but it’s recently become filled with anti CRT fear mongers when nobody is actually pushing CRT. But it damn sure got them elected.

They’re also considering raising taxes despite promising not to. Hope they do. I can afford it and the people who voted for them will be pissed.
Yea, pissed at the liberals for allowing it to happen or some kind of dented brain logic.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:04 am

Our long national nightmare is over
It was obviously a world nightmare. :pop:

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:04 am

Re:taxpayer money for non-taxable businesses.
I can’t wait until a RADICAL ISLAMIC MADRAS receives federal funding.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:02 am

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:14 am

Yeah, and that's why none of these show hearings will be of import. Our country is so broken and divided that the MAGA folks won't believe any revelations that the committee produces.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:34 am

Dems need to find another Obama type. You gotta get younger and witty. These old **** or pandering picks like Hilary and probably Kamala soon are not the answer IMO.

In my lifetime. Dem candidates

Dukakis - no frame of reference, too young to actually know anything about him.

Clinton - young, charismatic, connected with the Everyman and the elites. Mixed aw, shucks with extreme intelligence.

Gore - wooden, no charisma, and still almost won. If bearded didn’t give an eff Gore ran I think he would have won easily instead of the recount non-sense that gave us W.

Kerry - Rich old whitey, lame, couldn’t even make him being a veteran into a good thing.

Obama - young, charisma, connected with both the Everyman and rich a-holes

Hilary - seemed like a default pick, entitled, couldn’t handle Trump for ****. A token “progressive” pick if there ever was one

Biden - Wasn’t Trump, benefitted from a huge turn to mail-in voting. Does have some sly wit but still very old and very vanilla

It’s seems that if the DNC makes a concerted effort to go young and charismatic they win. If they go “safe” stick to the talking points, you’re just a tool for us, they get trounced in the trenches.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:51 am

I also know nothing about Dukakis but have to imagine that an election against Reagan’s VP would be an uphill battle for anyone.

Clinton leaving the White House with a 65% approval rating (highest for an outgoing President since Truman) only for his incumbent VP to piss it all away against Bush is even more damning evidence against Gore and the Dems. Find someone who doesn’t suck instead of going with your default pick.

Their post-Clinton and post-Obama picks are obvious “where did it all go wrong?” answers. I have no idea who they could or should have went with instead of Gore, but Biden over Hillary was obvious to everyone.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:59 am

If Gore wouldn't have completely distanced himself from Clinton, he likely would have won imo.

Edit: I forgot how close 2000 was. If Gore would have won New Hampshire, he would have won the election.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:22 pm

I also know nothing about Dukakis but have to imagine that an election against Reagan’s VP would be an uphill battle for anyone.
Friendly reminder of how times change: In the 1988 election, CA was red and WV was blue.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:47 pm

Who was the Dem congresswoman (I think it was a congrresswoman) who has a very impassioned speech about abortion or religion or whatever?

If I were the Dems I’d try to push her to the forefront. She seems like she has very strong character but isn’t radically so

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:55 pm

Mallory McMorrow.