Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:43 pm

This whole vaccine distribution thing really boils down to folks that are for big gubament and those against it.

Who cares how it gets done. Just get it done
Disagree. It's strawman to think people are arguing that the government should be administering the vaccinations. I think the camps are whether you think the vaccine distribution should be a centrally planned / monitored program, and those that feel compelled, either through anti-anti Trump brain reflexes or the permanent anti-government bend to argue that it shouldn't.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:45 pm

OPERATION WARPSPEED

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:47 pm

Seth Rogen has gone completely off the deep end the last four years.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:00 pm

This whole vaccine distribution thing really boils down to folks that are for big gubament and those against it.

Who cares how it gets done. Just get it done
I would like it to just get done. If someone comes in and says no plan - we can be faster. Then prove it, do it, and maybe that's 9mm closer to me being vaccinated faster.
This x10. I'm so sick of hearing 'oh the gov't can't help'. STFU.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:01 pm

I'm not even sure what's being argued here.

"The 'no plan' is working, but the government shouldn't be doing the planning, anyway so lol".

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:02 pm

Source of the post Well, at first there was "no chance" there would even be a vaccine at this point.

Second, where in all of human history has government involvement made things go quicker?
Oh, Freddy
So, can you provide an example of where government involvement in the process of distribution made things less disorganized or sped up the process?

Because we all know the answer is, "well the right people weren't doing the involving."

We'd been a lot better off if Government had gotten out of the way with its tiers and lists and just let the experts at distributing vaccines and meds take care of it. The Feds can toss money to defray costs, but that is pretty much where their meddling should end.
Last edited by Freddy Rumsen on Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:02 pm

Yeah I don’t know what is being argued either

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:06 pm

There’s also an issue with only taking the highest administration rate of the last week rather than the full rate since rollout.
No there isn't. The initial rollout ramp up is an outlier. If they're capable of 912k per day today, why would they suddenly drop back toward the overall mean from the start of rollout?
It’s not a static thing. Hasn’t it steadily increased since rollout? I’d expect it to continue to increase to a point, then plateau. Or is 900k per day the plateau?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:06 pm

They didn't have a plan cause of course they didn't, things are bad in certain places, government should step in...

vs.

They had a plan don't be ridiculous, things are good in certain places, government stay away...

I think???

meow

Postby meow » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:07 pm

They didn't have a plan cause of course they didn't, things are bad in certain places, government should step in...

vs.

They had a plan don't be ridiculous, things are good in certain places, government stay away...

I think???
Oh. It’s obviously both

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:08 pm

"The 'no plan' is working, but the government shouldn't be doing the planning, anyway so lol".
Pretty straight-forward.

1) Biden officially anonymously quoted as saying, "There was no plan."

2) Pushback on "no plan" by pointing out the existence of a plan.

3) We'd be doing even better if we followed the example of WV, and not PA, and let the locals take care of distribution rather than government contracts.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:08 pm

I cannot provide an example of where government involvement in supply chain/distro issues made things better.

But we are currently living through an ongoing event where the absence of it appears to have contributed to unnecessary avoidable problem. And that goes far beyond the vaccine rollout.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:26 pm

War.

meow

Postby meow » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:28 pm

Just let the states handle war.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:30 pm

I usually let my local chemist handle my wars for me.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:37 pm

Pretty straight-forward.

1) Biden officially anonymously quoted as saying, "There was no plan."

2) Pushback on "no plan" by pointing out the existence of a plan.

3) We'd be doing even better if we followed the example of WV, and not PA, and let the locals take care of distribution rather than government contracts.
Well, doesn't that then make sense, that if the rollout is more effective in WV than NY, to have some means of working with NY to adapt the methods the WV is using? Just seems like basic project management principles.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:42 pm

I guess my question is, what are we trying to solve for? Is there a particular issue beyond working out the kinks of a complex process that is 5 weeks old?

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:51 pm

So is it,

1. The gov sucks at planning let them stay out

2. Let the state... government? Handle it

3. ????

4. The Fed is bad

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:55 pm

It's mystifying how far people will stick their head up their own ass in an attempt to make someone else look stupid...

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:02 pm

did I miss this one being posted here?

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:06 pm

That's new to me haha

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:11 pm

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:13 pm

@dodint

:lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:13 pm

Aidan is 4, by the way.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:22 pm

Source of the post Well, at first there was "no chance" there would even be a vaccine at this point.

Second, where in all of human history has government involvement made things go quicker?
Oh, Freddy
So, can you provide an example of where government involvement in the process of distribution made things less disorganized or sped up the process?

Because we all know the answer is, "well the right people weren't doing the involving."

We'd been a lot better off if Government had gotten out of the way with its tiers and lists and just let the experts at distributing vaccines and meds take care of it. The Feds can toss money to defray costs, but that is pretty much where their meddling should end.
This wasn't about distribution. Your first point was about the extraordinary odds that a vaccine even exists. Then your second point was government never helps with anything, completely ignoring their involvement to your first point. In other words, your first two points cancelled each other out.

Listen, I'm anti-big government too. They tend to add more complexity, cost, red tape to anything they touch and overreach into sectors of private business. But I also understand that government has a role in society, even when it comes to things we may otherwise think the private sector can handle on its own. This rollout of the vaccine is one of those instances. Too many cooks in the kitchen regarding the rollout of the vaccine, and we need a centralized "leader" or "manager" if you will, to see us through it. Can you name anybody else other than the US gov't to get it done?

Unless Jeff Bezos wants to take on the role of uber distributor, it can't be done otherwise. And that's just the shipping of the product, let alone the hundreds of other minutiae involved in the process.