Politics And Current Events

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:24 am

i think this is going to get real ugly:

Trump vows mass immigration arrests, removals of ‘millions of illegal aliens’ starting next week.
“Next week ICE will begin the process of removing the millions of illegal aliens who have illicitly found their way into the United States,” Trump wrote, referring to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. “They will be removed as fast as they come in.”

Large-scale ICE enforcement operations are typically kept secret to avoid tipping off targets. In 2018, Trump and other senior officials threatened the mayor of Oakland, Calif., with criminal prosecution for alerting city residents that immigration raids were in the works.

Trump and his senior immigration adviser, Stephen Miller, have been prodding Homeland Security officials to arrest and remove thousands of family members whose deportation orders were expedited by the Justice Department this year as part of a plan known as the “rocket docket.”
I can already see the videos of ICE ripping parents away from their citizen children.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigrat ... 77f260f9ab

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:26 am

from where i sit, this seems like a formality that congress passes every year, after trying to extract as much value from it as a pawn as possible - which typically makes it a last minute situation.

i'm not exactly sure what stewart is up to. i think using good faith initiatives as currency to get your own unrelated filth through legislation is one of the worst parts of our government, but in this case, i ultimately expect the funds to keep coming for the first responders.
Not exactly.
Currently, the fund's anticipated expense going forward is not accounted for in the budget. Additionally, the deadline to file a claim is 2020 (under a law passed in 2015). So it's more like every 5 years there's an extension.
From the VCF website:
On February 15, 2019, the Special Master determined that the funding remaining in the VCF would be insufficient to pay all pending and projected claims under current VCF policies and procedures and, consequently, announced modifications to VCF policies consistent with her statutory obligations. Please see the VCF's Notice of Inquiry and Determination of Funding Insufficiency page for more details.
Mitch's argument that a lot of things get done last minute in Congress is a joke. There's no reason to wait until the last minute to pass this. You currently have families who are uncertain if they'll be able to make future claims because Congress has dragged their feet, it's been four months since the VCF had to amend their policies and start rejecting claims that were previously good simply because the government won't provide additional funding.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:30 am

He's advocating for people that shouldn't have to deal with the dysfunction of congress.
i guess. but he's misrepresenting the situation. the lack of attendance in the session he spoke at, for instance. it's a formality. why would everyone show up? it would be a nice gesture as a sign of gratitude, but in practical terms, nothing is really gained, and i'd rather congress deal with things that require more attention, tbh.

the issue i have is that the outraged left now thinks that the evil republican overlords are going to deny 9/11 first responders what they deserve. but that's not the situation at all. i'm not weeping for mcconnell, but i'd rather people have an honest understanding of the situation than just double down on the divisive attitude.

...or maybe i'm reading this wrong

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:31 am

i think this is going to get real ugly:

Trump vows mass immigration arrests, removals of ‘millions of illegal aliens’ starting next week.
“Next week ICE will begin the process of removing the millions of illegal aliens who have illicitly found their way into the United States,” Trump wrote, referring to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. “They will be removed as fast as they come in.”

Large-scale ICE enforcement operations are typically kept secret to avoid tipping off targets. In 2018, Trump and other senior officials threatened the mayor of Oakland, Calif., with criminal prosecution for alerting city residents that immigration raids were in the works.

Trump and his senior immigration adviser, Stephen Miller, have been prodding Homeland Security officials to arrest and remove thousands of family members whose deportation orders were expedited by the Justice Department this year as part of a plan known as the “rocket docket.”
I can already see the videos of ICE ripping parents away from their citizen children.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigrat ... 77f260f9ab
I'll be surprised if it's actually carried out to the magnitude that he's bloviating, but if it is at the very least there's gonna be a whole lot less produce getting picked and houses getting built.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 am

I think the only thing I took away from that "OMG OUTRAGE" moment was that he felt that this shouldn't be a dog and pony show, and he's tired of hearing "remember 9/11" and thanking our heroes but then continually making them jump through hoops when it matters.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:37 am

Maybe they should just off themselves like the veterans that get ignored.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:14 am

I think the only thing I took away from that "OMG OUTRAGE" moment was that he felt that this shouldn't be a dog and pony show, and he's tired of hearing "remember 9/11" and thanking our heroes but then continually making them jump through hoops when it matters.
So McConnell goes, “chill out, you’ll get your money. No need for the theatrics”. And the responders are saying, “that’s nice but you dragging your feet makes our lives harder. Quit f***ing around”.

I of course side with the responders in this, and they are among the last people that should be exploited. I just wish Stewart had a little more precision with his message. It’s absolutely giving people the wrong idea about what the actual issue is and how institutionally deep it runs.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:18 am

So McConnell goes, “chill out, you’ll get your money. No need for the theatrics”. And the responders are saying, “that’s nice but you dragging your feet makes our lives harder. Quit f***ing around”.

I of course side with the responders in this, and they are among the last people that should be exploited. I just wish Stewart had a little more precision with his message. It’s absolutely giving people the wrong idea about what the actual issue is and how institutionally deep it runs.
That's pretty much my understanding of it, but John did say in his speech they had to have a guy travel down there to get Congress to act while he was going through Chemo. To me, I think they're tired of having to wait, and it should be something that's just done without having to wait until the last second.

These guys are dying off, it's not like this funding is going to increase in time dramatically.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:19 am

Stewart also implied that he was using this issue to extract concessions on other things.

I think I would just ask, if one side were to use this issue to reach for other political wish list items, who do you think would try that?

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:17 pm

He'll cry voter interference for sure if he loses, but he won't be the first Republican or Democrat to do so. But we aren't a third world country where he's digging in and not leaving. I can't believe that's a real thought, well I can because people, but I've never considered anyone here crazy enough to think that.

Also he isn't the first to probably think more than two terms. If and when he publicly says we should do that, Congress, both sides, will have a good chuckle and move on.
Positive about that? I think these thoughts from 'people' about him trying to stay, will happen as long as one side of Congress lets it happen. As of right now, this seems to be a moment in history where one side is trying to preserve and protect an entire party instead of doing what's potentially best for the country.

Ok, I'm not positive that ALL Repbulicans would laugh but I'm president before Congress would even sniff at changing the rules. I mean to allow more than 2 terms wouldn't that be 2/3 House, 2/3 Senate and 3/4 of States? DOA

Obviously your point wasn't it would happen so I agree that probably not all would laugh at the thought because of being idiots.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:22 pm

The big issue I have with First Responders thing is really twofold.

We're coming up on 9/11 +20 yrs, and the legislative history of this funding is replete with feet dragging and poor decision making. So you know how there were 7 or 8 members of the subcommittee were absent? Maybe given the urge to make sure you tweet #neverforget you should take the logic you used to skip the First Responder hearing and apply it in the other direction and skip the other hearing instead.

Second, leaning on the "this is how Congress works" trope is super lazy and, frankly, insulting. Some time last year we passed the event horizon where there are now officially more First Resonder deaths as a result of illness than there were victims on the day. And that disparity is only going to grow. As Stewart noted, the business-as-usual nonsense is robbing these people of the one commodity that is most precious to them: Time.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:24 pm

I mean to allow more than 2 terms wouldn't that be 2/3 House, 2/3 Senate and 3/4 of States? DOA
1: Manufacture a reason to declare a national emergency (with Putin's help if necessary) and suspend elections.
2: ???
3: President 4 lyfe

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:26 pm

Our best bud, the misunderstood humanitarian of the middle East, Bin Salman, says Iran did it.

Well I'm convinced.
https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... -arabia-on
Pompeo reportedly intervened to keep the country off the list despite findings by State Department experts that the Saudi-led coalition involved in neighboring Yemen’s civil war has used underage fighters, according to the news service, citing four people familiar with the matter.

Experts at the State Department requested Saudi Arabia’s inclusion based on a combination of news reports and analyses by human rights groups, Reuters reported.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:31 pm

Ok, I'm not positive that ALL Repbulicans would laugh but I'm president before Congress would even sniff at changing the rules. I mean to allow more than 2 terms wouldn't that be 2/3 House, 2/3 Senate and 3/4 of States? DOA

Obviously your point wasn't it would happen so I agree that probably not all would laugh at the thought because of being idiots.
To me the worry isn't that Trump will just decide to stay on and everyone in government will accept it. The worry is you'll have some knuclehead(s) who decide to 'take matters into their own hands'. And that goes both ways, mind you. People who want to make a statement supporting Trump, and people willing to make him a martyr. He's just soooo flippant with the rhetoric, I don't have a problem believing either scenario as a possibility.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:37 pm

To me the worry isn't that Trump will just decide to stay on and everyone in government will accept it. The worry is you'll have some knuclehead(s) who decide to 'take matters into their own hands'. And that goes both ways, mind you. People who want to make a statement supporting Trump, and people willing to make him a martyr. He's just soooo flippant with the rhetoric, I don't have a problem believing either scenario as a possibility.
There was an interesting anecdote that I came across in the book I was reading this morning. It's Erik Larson's book about 1930's Germany and the US ambassador that went there in 1933. Basically that there was an idea within the US State Dept that Hitler and his cronies would become more moderate after getting power, and also that there were indications that was the case. But they got the population so ginned up and thirsty for action that they lost control of things.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:22 pm

FBI examining 2010 domestic fight involving acting defense secretary Shanahan; accounts differ on aggressor

And hours after that story broke, Shanahan withdrew as SecDef nominee.
As Trump’s defense pick withdraws, he addresses violent domestic incidents
In November 2011, Shanahan rushed to defend his then-17-year-old son, William Shanahan, in the days after the teenager brutally beat his mother. The attack had left Shanahan’s ex-wife unconscious in a pool of blood, her skull fractured, and with internal injuries that required surgery, according to court and police records.

Two weeks later, Shanahan sent his ex-wife’s brother a memo arguing that his son had acted in self-defense.

“Use of a baseball bat in self-defense will likely be viewed as an imbalance of force,” Shanahan wrote. “However, Will’s mother harassed him for nearly three hours before the incident.”

Details of the incidents have started to emerge in media reports about his nomination, including a USA Today report Tuesday about the punching incident in 2010.

In an hour-long interview Monday night at his apartment in Virginia, Shanahan, who has been responding to questions from The Post about the incidents since January, said he wrote the memo in the hours after his son’s attack, before he knew the full extent of his ex-wife’s injuries. He said it was to prepare for his son’s initial court appearance and that he never intended for anyone other than his son’s attorneys to read it.

“That document literally was, I sat down with [my son] right away, and being an engineer at an aerospace company, you write down what are all of the mitigating reasons something could have happened. You know, just what’s the list of things that could have happened?”

As he later wrote in the divorce case, Shanahan said Monday that he does not believe there can be any justification for an assault with a baseball bat, but he went further in the interview, saying he now regrets writing the passage.

“Quite frankly it’s difficult to relive that moment and the passage was difficult for me to read. I was wrong to write those three sentences,” Shanahan said.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:24 pm

Just the kind of thing you need as you spin yourself up into a new voluntary war in the ME.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:03 pm

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... -in-maiden

lol
Boaty McBoatface, the submarine named by an online poll, made a major climate discovery during its maiden voyage in Antarctica.

The data collection research, which took place in April 2017, found a significant link between Antarctic winds and rising sea temperatures.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:24 pm

FBI examining 2010 domestic fight involving acting defense secretary Shanahan; accounts differ on aggressor

And hours after that story broke, Shanahan withdrew as SecDef nominee.
As Trump’s defense pick withdraws, he addresses violent domestic incidents
In November 2011, Shanahan rushed to defend his then-17-year-old son, William Shanahan, in the days after the teenager brutally beat his mother. The attack had left Shanahan’s ex-wife unconscious in a pool of blood, her skull fractured, and with internal injuries that required surgery, according to court and police records.

Two weeks later, Shanahan sent his ex-wife’s brother a memo arguing that his son had acted in self-defense.

“Use of a baseball bat in self-defense will likely be viewed as an imbalance of force,” Shanahan wrote. “However, Will’s mother harassed him for nearly three hours before the incident.”

Details of the incidents have started to emerge in media reports about his nomination, including a USA Today report Tuesday about the punching incident in 2010.

In an hour-long interview Monday night at his apartment in Virginia, Shanahan, who has been responding to questions from The Post about the incidents since January, said he wrote the memo in the hours after his son’s attack, before he knew the full extent of his ex-wife’s injuries. He said it was to prepare for his son’s initial court appearance and that he never intended for anyone other than his son’s attorneys to read it.

“That document literally was, I sat down with [my son] right away, and being an engineer at an aerospace company, you write down what are all of the mitigating reasons something could have happened. You know, just what’s the list of things that could have happened?”

As he later wrote in the divorce case, Shanahan said Monday that he does not believe there can be any justification for an assault with a baseball bat, but he went further in the interview, saying he now regrets writing the passage.

“Quite frankly it’s difficult to relive that moment and the passage was difficult for me to read. I was wrong to write those three sentences,” Shanahan said.

As Trump's Pentagon leadership roils, its main press operations center is about 50% empty. HALF of the desks at Office of Secretary of Defense Public Affairs (OSDPA) are unmanned due to lingering "acting" leadership, no press secretary, etc.The US is in combat or some level of intervention still in Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Libya, across West Africa, and more. Cyber ops, Iran standoffs, Russian bomber standoffs, Chinese ship standoffs, alliances to manage... but 50% manned public information desks.
https://twitter.com/DefenseBaron/status ... 0006261760
enate Republicans have privately told WH that they don't have time on calendar/political capital for a difficult SecDef confirmation fight this summer/fall. So, for now, Army Sec. Mark Esper will take over as acting, as WH/GOP consider next steps.
https://twitter.com/costareports/status ... 4251329536

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:44 pm

I mean to allow more than 2 terms wouldn't that be 2/3 House, 2/3 Senate and 3/4 of States? DOA
1: Manufacture a reason to declare a national emergency (with Putin's help if necessary) and suspend elections.

Probability of Occurence? 1 in a 1,000,000,000,000. So effectively zero, about the same chance I get to see a real unicorn in my lifetime.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:51 pm

Probability of Occurence? 1 in a 1,000,000,000,000. So effectively zero, about the same chance I get to see a real unicorn in my lifetime.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:20 pm

Stop Treating Government With Respect

https://reason.com/2019/06/15/stop-trea ... h-respect/

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:09 pm

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:18 pm

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ta ... -anchorage
A 19-year-old from Anchorage, Alaska, was allegedly killed by her best friend and several other teen accomplices after they were promised millions of dollars for video evidence of the murder by a man who had catfished them.

According to court documents, Denali Brehmer, 18, confessed to murdering Cynthia Hoffman on June 2 at the direction of a man she met online several months prior named Darin Schilmiller.

Prosecutors say Schilmiller, 21, who's from New Salisbury, Indiana, told Brehmer his name was "Tyler," that he lived in Kansas, and that he was a millionaire. The two then developed an online relationship.

Alaskan officials described recovering cell phone records that showed the two "discussing a plan to rape and murder someone in Alaska" and an offer of "nine or more million dollars to carry out the murder and to have photographs and/or videos of the murder sent to [Schilmiller]."
:shock:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:22 pm

Stop Treating Government With Respect

https://reason.com/2019/06/15/stop-trea ... h-respect/
Another great Reason piece :thumb: