Politics And Current Events

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:06 pm

Will he have a special cell or be in general pudding pop?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:09 pm

This has been an interesting thing to watch. Lots of Trumpers and Never Trumpers have come back together the past couple of weeks.
Back in the foxhole together.' Conservatives rally around Kavanaugh amid accusations. My latest.
https://mobile.twitter.com/costareports ... 2478570496

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:21 pm

Also. Joe Biden says FBI reports don't mean anything. ;)

https://mobile.twitter.com/elliosch/sta ... 62/video/1

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:58 pm

Political Twitter seems to have completely moved on from sex stuff to now being arrow focused on Kavanaugh drinking in college.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:36 am

“Brett was a sloppy drunk, and I know because I drank with him. I watched him drink more than a lot of people. He’d end up slurring his words, stumbling,” said Swisher, a Democrat and chief of the gynecologic oncology division at the University of Washington School of Medicine. “There’s no medical way I can say that he was blacked out. . . . But it’s not credible for him to say that he has had no memory lapses in the nights that he drank to excess.”

Lynne Brookes, who like Swisher was a college roommate of one of the two women now accusing Kavanaugh of misconduct, said the nominee’s comments on Fox did not match the classmate she remembered.

“He’s trying to paint himself as some kind of choir boy,” said Brookes, a Republican and former pharmaceutical executive who recalled an encounter with a drunken Kavanaugh at a fraternity event. “You can’t lie your way onto the Supreme Court, and with that statement out, he’s gone too far. It’s about the integrity of that institution.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... 77db14ff23

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:54 am

Evidently you have to be a dimwit to be the conservative blogger at the Washington Post.
Only this crowd of clueless old white guys wold pick someone from Sheriff Joe's operation. I was saying no self-respecting lawyer would take the job of giving cover to GOP cowards. I was right.
https://mobile.twitter.com/JRubinBlogge ... 7278231552

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:25 am

Florida teacher says she was fired for defying school's 'no zero' policy
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/201 ... 421953002/
Port St. Lucie teacher Diane Tirado taught U.S. history at West Gate K-8 School until she was fired on Sept. 14, she told WPTV. She said her school has a "no zero" policy that requires educators to give students at least a 50 percent grade for all assignments - even if the students don't turn in any work at all.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:24 am

Florida teacher says she was fired for defying school's 'no zero' policy
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/201 ... 421953002/
Port St. Lucie teacher Diane Tirado taught U.S. history at West Gate K-8 School until she was fired on Sept. 14, she told WPTV. She said her school has a "no zero" policy that requires educators to give students at least a 50 percent grade for all assignments - even if the students don't turn in any work at all.
Ha... we have a similar policy. You can give 0's for an assignment, but a student can't get below a 50 for a term. So a student could do nothing all term and still get a 50. BS.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:31 am

so with this whole kavanaugh thing it sounds like he was a frat boy and people think that was a bad thing?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:39 am

Ford has submitted some “solid” witnesses ... who better to prove your case that you were assaulted by bringing forward people you told 32+ years after it happened.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:42 am

so with this whole kavanaugh thing it sounds like he was a frat boy and people think that was a bad thing?
Yup. It looks like the case the Democrats are trying to build against Kavanaugh is that he was in a fraternity and drank in college. This is getting absurd at this point. It's readily apparent at this point that they do not have anything substantive to justify this nonsense, but at this point they are already so committed that they are afraid to back down. They are doing a great job turning voters off just before the midterms

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:45 am

Yup. It looks like the case the Democrats are trying to build against Kavanaugh is that he was in a fraternity and drank in college. This is getting absurd at this point. It's readily apparent at this point that they do not have anything substantive to justify this nonsense, but at this point they are already so committed that they are afraid to back down. They are doing a great job turning voters off just before the midterms

From above:
“He’s trying to paint himself as some kind of choir boy,” said Brookes, a Republican and former pharmaceutical executive who recalled an encounter with a drunken Kavanaugh at a fraternity event. “You can’t lie your way onto the Supreme Court, and with that statement out, he’s gone too far. It’s about the integrity of that institution.”

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:48 am

I don't always look for opinions on integrity, but when I do, I listen to opinions of those in the pharmaceutical industry

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:50 am

Ramirez case seems more interesting that the Rs won't even show up for a call - and I found it even spicier when Trump blamed her for being drunk. For as much as the dems are making this political, republicans are put in a no-win situation when any comment they make seemingly is spun into hating women's rights.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... lk-n913156
Kavanaugh has repeatedly denied the accusations. "The truth is I’ve never sexually assaulted anyone, in high school or otherwise," Kavanaugh said on Fox News Monday night.

Attorney Clune denied that Ramirez was part of a last-ditch, partisan effort to foil Kavanaugh, saying that she was contacted by New Yorker reporter Ronan Farrow and then by other reporters who had heard rumors of her story. It was only then that she decided, with some hesitation, to go public, he said.

"She had not talked about this matter for many years prior to this and she had a hard time deciding whether or not to call Mr. Farrow back," Clune said.

He said his client wants the FBI to investigate her claims before she testifies. But Republican leaders on the Judiciary Committee have said further FBI inquiry into Kavanaugh's background is not necessary.

"There are plenty more people that need to be contacted that if there is gonna be a real investigation," Clune said, " ... but at this point, it doesn’t look like it is at least much of a momentum for that to take place."

Asked if Ramirez would testify under the conditions imposed on Ford — strict time limits, Kavanaugh getting the last word, questioning from a sex crimes prosecutor from Maricopa County, Arizona, identified Thursday as Rachel Mitchell, a registered Republican — Clune said it's unlikely.

"You know I’d let her make that decision, but I wouldn’t advise it," he said. "That’s a very unfair process."

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:50 am

I’m starting to actually wonder if he was pranked... Lol.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:53 am

Ramirez case seems more interesting that the Rs won't even show up for a call:

Kavanaugh has repeatedly denied the accusations. "The truth is I’ve never sexually assaulted anyone, in high school or otherwise," Kavanaugh said on Fox News Monday night.

Attorney Clune denied that Ramirez was part of a last-ditch, partisan effort to foil Kavanaugh, saying that she was contacted by New Yorker reporter Ronan Farrow and then by other reporters who had heard rumors of her story. It was only then that she decided, with some hesitation, to go public, he said.

"She had not talked about this matter for many years prior to this and she had a hard time deciding whether or not to call Mr. Farrow back," Clune said.

He said his client wants the FBI to investigate her claims before she testifies. But Republican leaders on the Judiciary Committee have said further FBI inquiry into Kavanaugh's background is not necessary.

"There are plenty more people that need to be contacted that if there is gonna be a real investigation," Clune said, " ... but at this point, it doesn’t look like it is at least much of a momentum for that to take place."

Asked if Ramirez would testify under the conditions imposed on Ford — strict time limits, Kavanaugh getting the last word, questioning from a sex crimes prosecutor from Maricopa County, Arizona, identified Thursday as Rachel Mitchell, a registered Republican — Clune said it's unlikely.

"You know I’d let her make that decision, but I wouldn’t advise it," he said. "That’s a very unfair process."
How are their “conditions” unfair? In what world does the accused have to go first before they know every detail they are being charged with? And why wouldn’t you want an experienced person asking the questions unless you just want the optics to look bad?

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:55 am

Weren't you complaining yesterday about his name even being mentioned here?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:56 am

I edited my statement above stating that it's seemingly no-win for the Republicans.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:58 am

Ramirez case seems more interesting that the Rs won't even show up for a call - and I found it even spicier when Trump blamed her for being drunk. For as much as the dems are making this political, republicans are put in a no-win situation when any comment they make seemingly is spun into hating women's rights.

How is the process unfair? Every court in America has the defense go second.

People were moaning and groaning about 11 white ole men asking the questions until they got a well-respected highly qualified prosecutor from Arizona to do the questioning, and now all of a sudden people want the 11 white old men asking the questions?

As an aside when did the FBI become this white knight investigative group. As Joe Biden said the FBI doesn't come to conclusions. An FBI investigation is going to do nothing but delay the process for 6 months amid the hopes the GOP loses the Senate.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:59 am

Seems mostly just that some of his Yale classmates are taking issue with the Fox News interview. Noting that if he were to be dishonest about the non-essential stuff (being a frat boy), he's probably being dishonest about other stuff.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:00 am

Weren't you complaining yesterday about his name even being mentioned here?
I complained about his name being mentioned in a serious fashion, like to be believed.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:00 am

An FBI investigation is going to do nothing but delay the process for 6 months amid the hopes the GOP loses the Senate.
No doubt (see Garland) and it was stupid of the GOP to put up such a flawed nominee.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:02 am

Bullshit jobs and the yoke of managerial feudalism

https://www.economist.com/open-future/2 ... -feudalism

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:06 am

An FBI investigation is going to do nothing but delay the process for 6 months amid the hopes the GOP loses the Senate.
No doubt (see Garland) and it was stupid of the GOP to put up such a flawed nominee.
Did the GOP spend that time denigrating Garland's character and digging into 35 year old allegations as reasons not to hold a hearing?

Think of it what you will, but Cocaine Mitch was up front and honest about what was going on.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:08 am

Did the GOP spend that time denigrating Garland's character and digging into 35 year old allegations as reasons not to hold a hearing?

Think of it what you will, but Cocaine Mitch was up front and honest about what was going on.
Aren't the one you always tells us what a blood sport politics has always been?