Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:47 pm

in 2020, a british secret agent who is also an epic poon hound could be either white or black, and there's also no continuity from Brosnan-to-Craig. So I do find this pushback to be sort of odd. Do we think skin color is identity or not? because if we're ascribing additional qualities inherently to your race, then this whole thread needs a redo.
This is the Hamilton paradigm: The story of espionage then as told by actors today. As you allude, only 2 Bond films since Dalton took over the role are adapted from Fleming books, so there isn't any need for fidelity to that source material. It's especially worthy if, like me, you buy into the notion that 'James Bond' is an alias.

In 2021, 'Britishness' is more central to the character than race or gender imo.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:50 pm

Outside of this conversation, when you ask somebody to describe the James Bond character, nobody in their right mind is going to include "white" in their description.
Go out and ask someone if James Bond is white or black.
The moment where the laughable defenders of "white male Bond" lose the argument is when they claim that (a) Ian Fleming must be turning in his grave seeing this, yet (b) they are COMPLETELY OK with the fact that this fairy take figure Bond moves through decades like Connor MacLeod without any signs of aging, battles enemies that had not existed during the lifetime of the original author, fires guns that have not existed. And yet the defenders of white Bond are completely against the idea that during the last 50 years, the norms of the society might have evolved.

"Bond" is a magic character who has the licence to kick ass. In 1950s, it is inconceivable that a person in that position would be anything but white. But if you are willing to sit in the movie theater enjoying "Bond" kick ass in 2020+, the idea that in the last 50 years the society advanced to the point that this top ass kicking agent may be Black, or woman pretty much must be on the table by default...

And, BTW, James Bond is boring...
I would say that in the 1960s, it was more controversial that Bond was cast a Scot than it would be if a black man were cast as Bond in 2021. Times change.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:00 pm

Like Batman I would largely have issue with, because there's a specific universe written for a specific character, and I don't know how I'd feel if a POC was playing Batman instead. It just wouldn't feel like Batman, if that made sense.
To me, Batman fits into the same mold as Bond. Similar to my Bond-is-an-alias take, 'Batman' is the man, Bruce Wayne is the mask. So Batman can be anyone.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:02 pm

I like when Tif wakes up and comes in to catch up 3 hours later. :D

:fist:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:03 pm

Man, this is slimy.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... an-assault
Two New York City apartment building workers have been fired for failing to help an Asian American woman as she was being violently attacked on the sidewalk outside, the building's management company said Tuesday.

Surveillance video of the March 29 attack near Times Square showed that the doormen didn't step outside and approach the woman until more than a minute after the violence stopped and the assailant walked away.
The doormen's union, SEIU 32BJ, said the workers are challenging their terminations under a grievance process outlined in their collective bargaining agreement. The process can take months, the union said.

"We believe we must root out systemic racism in all its forms," 32BJ SEIU President Kyle Bragg said in a statement. “We believe that all union workers, especially workers of color who are often the subject of unfair treatment on the job, have a right to a fair process as outlined in their contract.
So two black doormen sit back and watch another black man beat the crap out of an elderly Asian woman, and their union somehow makes them out these fine "workers of color" to be themselves victims of systemic racism. Has there been a legal defense of a minority murderer yet that claims they only did it because of systemic racism? If not, you know it's coming.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:05 pm

Like Batman I would largely have issue with, because there's a specific universe written for a specific character, and I don't know how I'd feel if a POC was playing Batman instead. It just wouldn't feel like Batman, if that made sense.
To me, Batman fits into the same mold as Bond. Similar to my Bond-is-an-alias take, 'Batman' is the man, Bruce Wayne is the mask. So Batman can be anyone.
Super rich, privileged kid that decides to take the law into his own hands? That has white written all over it... :slug:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:08 pm

More info on that shooting in Maryland.
Fantahun Girma Woldesenbet was identified by Frederick Police as the Navy corpsman accused of shooting and injuring two people at an industrial park in Frederick, Maryland before he was fatally shot by personnel at nearby Fort Detrick.

The U.S. Navy identified Woldesenbet as a 38-year-old hospital corpsman. Two victims were taken to a Baltimore hospital with critical injuries. The initial shooting was reported at Riverside Tech Park in the northeastern part of the city. The victims were also members of the Navy, authorities said.

Frederick Police Chief Jason Lando said during a press conference Woldesenbet achieved the rank of E-4 and lived in Frederick. He was married, and the FBI interviewed his wife, according to WUSA9. He is from Virginia, according to Stars and Stripes. He was identified as a medical lab technician in 2019 meeting minutes from the Board of Regents Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences 208th Meeting.
https://heavy.com/news/fantahun-woldese ... EL6gRH9zDM
Isn't Ft Detrick the home of the USAMRIID command?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:10 pm

More info on that shooting in Maryland.
Fantahun Girma Woldesenbet was identified by Frederick Police as the Navy corpsman accused of shooting and injuring two people at an industrial park in Frederick, Maryland before he was fatally shot by personnel at nearby Fort Detrick.

The U.S. Navy identified Woldesenbet as a 38-year-old hospital corpsman. Two victims were taken to a Baltimore hospital with critical injuries. The initial shooting was reported at Riverside Tech Park in the northeastern part of the city. The victims were also members of the Navy, authorities said.

Frederick Police Chief Jason Lando said during a press conference Woldesenbet achieved the rank of E-4 and lived in Frederick. He was married, and the FBI interviewed his wife, according to WUSA9. He is from Virginia, according to Stars and Stripes. He was identified as a medical lab technician in 2019 meeting minutes from the Board of Regents Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences 208th Meeting.
https://heavy.com/news/fantahun-woldese ... EL6gRH9zDM
Isn't 38 kind of old to be a corpsman?
Corpsman isn't a rank, it's a rating. (e.g. job description)

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:15 pm

Man, this is slimy.

Two New York City apartment building workers have been fired for failing to help an Asian American woman as she was being violently attacked on the sidewalk outside, the building's management company said Tuesday.

Surveillance video of the March 29 attack near Times Square showed that the doormen didn't step outside and approach the woman until more than a minute after the violence stopped and the assailant walked away.
The doormen's union, SEIU 32BJ, said the workers are challenging their terminations under a grievance process outlined in their collective bargaining agreement. The process can take months, the union said.

"We believe we must root out systemic racism in all its forms," 32BJ SEIU President Kyle Bragg said in a statement. “We believe that all union workers, especially workers of color who are often the subject of unfair treatment on the job, have a right to a fair process as outlined in their contract.
So two black doormen sit back and watch another black man beat the crap out of an elderly Asian woman, and their union somehow makes them out these fine "workers of color" to be themselves victims of systemic racism. Has there been a legal defense of a minority murderer yet that claims they only did it because of systemic racism? If not, you know it's coming.
I mean, it's just a claim. Similar to the Chauvin defense strategy. It's the Union's job to throw whatever **** they can on the wall and it's the adjudicator's job to call out their bullshit
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:17 pm

38 years old is definitely crazy old to be an E-4. I wonder if he got busted down?

Evidently this happened at an off-site defense department office park next to Ft. Dettrick.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:26 pm

In year 18, my uncle got busted from E-8 or E-9 to E-6 where he finished his career. Sucks, because it's literally like a 50+% pay cut, and that's what his retirement was based on.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:09 pm

I was of that same mind until Skyfall when they give backstory and show his family headstones as Bond.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:26 pm

Man, this is slimy.

the instant i spawned a human life, my good citizen points went in the tank. if there's any risk of me experiencing violence on behalf of someone not in my immediate family, i'm going to proceed very cautiously - if at all.

i think these guys looked pretty freaking aloof, even well after the threat had passed, but who's to say how they felt? maybe they've witnessed people intervening in these situations getting hurt? there are countless examples of lethal collateral damage when a bystander gets involved in a violent incident. i know...old lady - but honestly, violence towards someone who has lived a full life already makes it even less of a priority.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:34 pm

I thought that was canon to Bond anyway - it was a moniker named after the original 007, and subsequent 007s carried on the name as a legacy.

In which case, race wouldn't mean ****. Like M being a man up until Judy Dench took that mantle in Goldeneye. M is just the moniker.
I think this is the most reasonable way to look at it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:40 pm

i don't really know why every pilot i can remember having is a dude, though. are there institutional obstacles or is it just another thing where the person who makes babby can't really have a certain kind of job without some real personal dilemmas to face, balancing motherhood and work?
Every female pilot I’ve ever encountered was on a smaller regional flight. The PHL/SAV and PHL/MYR routes we’ve been on over the years have all been either really young male or female. Lots of female copilots, too.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:46 pm

i don't really know why every pilot i can remember having is a dude, though. are there institutional obstacles or is it just another thing where the person who makes babby can't really have a certain kind of job without some real personal dilemmas to face, balancing motherhood and work?
Every female pilot I’ve ever encountered was on a smaller regional flight. The PHL/SAV and PHL/MYR routes we’ve been on over the years have all been either really young male or female. Lots of female copilots, too.
yeah, pilots start out small and work their way up to Delta/AA/United. you'd have to think this is, in part, an attrition thing where women drop off once they reach an age where they have kids. like literally every other industry - to some degree.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:52 pm

I thought that was canon to Bond anyway - it was a moniker named after the original 007, and subsequent 007s carried on the name as a legacy.

In which case, race wouldn't mean ****. Like M being a man up until Judy Dench took that mantle in Goldeneye. M is just the moniker.
I think this is the most reasonable way to look at it.
I agree to a point. I'm more concerned with James Bond being replaced than 007. But honestly I would rather they just retire the 007 moniker and let a new character be 008 (or 006 and redeem Trevelyan)

then after a few movies they can have a 007 cameo and everyone will go crazy

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:54 pm

I don’t care how old he is, I would watch the hell out of an Idris Elba-led Bond series.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:02 pm

It's not necessarily the case that young pilots always start on the smallest aircraft. It's that flight/aircraft selection is generally done by seniority (pilots are unionized, after all), and senior pilots tend to gravitate to the slots for the long-haul flights (and get their certifications on those aircraft) because those flights pay more and are more desirable, so they get taken first. I mean, if you're a pilot, would you rather spend your day flying a regional jet on eight hub-and-spoke flights among Des Moines, Sioux City, and Minneapolis before getting McDonalds takeout and crashing in a "crash pad" apartment, or would you rather fly a single flight to Tokyo Haneda where (at least before the pandemic) you can head into town to catch the evening performance at the Kabuki-za and then dine at a izakaya before heading to your hotel to get a full night's sleep before your return flight tomorrow?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:43 pm

Take BUR-LAS for example. It's reliably 40-45 minutes of flight time through two different Class-B areas. It takes around 45 minutes to clean, refuel, and resupply, and up they go again. So that's generally 7 takeoffs and 7 landings per duty shift, which are the most dangerous phases of a flight. And in the case of BUR, arrivals are a little challenging, as the main runway used for arrivals is only like 5800'; float too long in the ground effect and you could end up on a busy surface street at the other end.

And those long-haul routes also often have more than one crew managing the flight. I know on our flight to Singapore there were two complete sets of flight deck officers, and a little more than two sets of cabin crew.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:55 pm

Take BUR-LAS for example. It's reliably 40-45 minutes of flight time through two different Class-B areas. It takes around 45 minutes to clean, refuel, and resupply, and up they go again. So that's generally 7 takeoffs and 7 landings per duty shift, which are the most dangerous phases of a flight. And in the case of BUR, arrivals are a little challenging, as the main runway used for arrivals is only like 5800'; float too long in the ground effect and you could end up on a busy surface street at the other end.

And those long-haul routes also often have more than one crew managing the flight. I know on our flight to Singapore there were two complete sets of flight deck officers, and a little more than two sets of cabin crew.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:03 pm

GOP really handed the old heads to the Dems without much pause.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:10 pm

We are in the period of time where them saying "President Biden" is still something of a small victory.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:17 pm

At this point, everyone should be aware of our resident population of pedantic aviation nerds. If anyone mentions anything aviation related, it should be no surprise when we come out of the woodwork. Same if you mention space or rockets or SpaceX.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:19 pm

I don't know what "elder care" is...it doesn't sound like infrastructure...but the idea that any bill is actually what it says it represents seems old fashioned...