Politics And Current Events

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:52 pm

Self reported data by NRA members seems legit.
:roll: Way to not read the part that says "aggregates media reports of DGUs." In case the word "aggregates" is too big for you, that means the site just links to sites for the news media that report DGUs. It's only "self reported data" if you think, for example, the NRA runs the nation's newspapers and TV stations.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:55 pm

I don't think Shyster is really making a poor point by saying that hard data is hard to quantify. And FFS, the NRA site is literally direct linking to external media sites like the Salt Lake Tribune and WTAE on every single one of their stories. And in all of the stories, it involves a gun used in self-defense, in a situation that could have been much worse for the victims.

It's not "self-reported data by NRA members", by any stretch of the imagination.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:55 pm

OK, Shyster already responded. Yeah, that is just aggressively not even doing research.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:57 pm

I don't think Shyster is really making a poor point by saying that hard data is hard to quantify. And FFS, the NRA site is literally direct linking to external media sites like the Salt Lake Tribune and WTAE on every single one of their stories. And in all of the stories, it involves a gun used in self-defense, in a situation that could have been much worse for the victims.

It's not "self-reported data by NRA members", by any stretch of the imagination.

It isn’t poor data?

Hard data would would rely on police reports by those involved.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:58 pm

OK, Shyster already responded. Yeah, that is just aggressively not even doing research.
Research on tough guys talking to the media and not the police?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:10 pm

BREAKING NEWS:
1. Student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas committed for mental evaluation due to threatening posts.
2. Two students at Stoneman Douglas arrested for taking knives to school.
3. Deputy suspended for sleeping in his cruiser at Stoneman Douglas yesterday. @CBSMiami
https://t.co/nsjTyQq3Ek

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:15 pm

what the ****

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:16 pm

The number of variables in a school are far too high to just assume a person with a gun makes things safer overall.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:40 pm

what the ****
Agreed. shad is a shill for the wackos hero and should probably step down.

Not to imply there is an actual standard, amongst the blue team...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:29 am

Austin police Chief Brian Manley announced during a press conference Wednesday morning that a suspect linked to recent bombings in Austin, Texas, is dead.

Manley said police located the suspect's vehicle at a Round Rock hotel and surrounded the area. While waiting for additional crews, the suspect's vehicle began moving and officers pursued.

The suspect's vehicle stopped along I-35 and as SWAT teams closed in, the suspect detonated a device.

The Austin American-Statesman reports officials traced the suspect using a mix of cell phone technology, security video and store receipts. Authorities had reportedly obtained a search warrant for the suspect's Google search history and showed him conducting searches they deemed suspicious.

Manley identified the suspect only as a 24-year-old white male. The deceased suspect is believed to be the only person responsible for the series of blasts.

Officials say they do not know a motive for the bombings. An ATF official said there is concern that other devices may be out there.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:48 am

what the ****

I see drama llama Columbia is back in action. :lol:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:34 am

Another housing market crash on the horizon?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:34 am

what the ****

A little early in the week to be on a drunken rage isn’t it?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:57 am

https://www.thehill.com/opinion/white-h ... nted%3famp

Trump is right: The special counsel should never have been appointed

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:02 am

My post is in regard to what trump tweeted.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:04 am

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:05 am

Also - in regards to this gun thing in the schools. I'd very much prefer if they kept it to registered officers only, I don't think Teachers or people just "appointed" to carry inside the school is a good idea.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:06 am

Did you read the article? I’m not saying that he is right, but it’s interesting. It’s not written by a republican.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:13 am

There was no evidence of any crime committed by the Trump administration. But there was plenty of evidence that Russian operatives had tried to interfere with the 2016 presidential election, and perhaps other elections, in the hope of destabilizing democracy. Yet, appointing a special counsel to look for crimes, behind the closed doors of a grand jury, was precisely the wrong way to address this ongoing challenge to our democracy.
The investigation happened to lead them directly to Trump's campaign as being a benefactor of said interference.
The right way would have been (and still is) to appoint a nonpartisan investigative commission, such as the one appointed following the terrorist attacks of 9/11, to conduct a broad and open investigation of the Russian involvement in our elections.
Didn't they just have that and outwardly shout "NO COLLUSION" yet the dems within the group said that's not true and it's a sham?
This is what other democracies, such as Great Britain and Israel, do in response to systemic problems. The virtue of such a commission is precisely the nonpartisan credibility of its objective experts, who have no political stake in the outcome.
Cool, Trump led America has shown that we're not capable of being a first world country when it comes to determining what is and what isn't legal.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:16 am

Congress could have created such a commission (through legislation), to investigate Russian interference.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:20 am

Also - in regards to this gun thing in the schools. I'd very much prefer if they kept it to registered officers only, I don't think Teachers or people just "appointed" to carry inside the school is a good idea.
you have to understand concepts like "people" and "behavior" and "human interaction" to really understand why this is a bad idea. we haven't vetted this thread for those qualifications yet. maybe we should.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:23 am

There was no evidence of any crime committed by the Trump administration. But there was plenty of evidence that Russian operatives had tried to interfere with the 2016 presidential election, and perhaps other elections, in the hope of destabilizing democracy. Yet, appointing a special counsel to look for crimes, behind the closed doors of a grand jury, was precisely the wrong way to address this ongoing challenge to our democracy.
The investigation happened to lead them directly to Trump's campaign as being a benefactor of said interference.
The right way would have been (and still is) to appoint a nonpartisan investigative commission, such as the one appointed following the terrorist attacks of 9/11, to conduct a broad and open investigation of the Russian involvement in our elections.
Didn't they just have that and outwardly shout "NO COLLUSION" yet the dems within the group said that's not true and it's a sham?
This is what other democracies, such as Great Britain and Israel, do in response to systemic problems. The virtue of such a commission is precisely the nonpartisan credibility of its objective experts, who have no political stake in the outcome.
Cool, Trump led America has shown that we're not capable of being a first world country when it comes to determining what is and what isn't legal.
The article link didn't work for me, but that first paragraph is a complete fabrication of what happened.

The FBI was conducting the investigation, the SC was only appointed after Trump fired Comey in what appears to have been Trump's response to Comey not doing what he wanted. So the SC was only installed when it appeared that the DOJ wasn't going to be able to conduct an investigation without interference from the WH.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:23 am

Yeah, anything Congress does isn’t nonpartisan. He is talking an independent investigation, like what mueller is doing but only on Russian election interference. Not targeting a specific person.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:24 am

shmengy, my knowledge of/interest on the topic will quickly exhaust, but I wouldn't mind hearing your position on the death penalty especially juxtaposed to my overly simplified anti-population stance...if you're so inclined...

In theory, it's against my beliefs, in that, another person has taken the right to life from someone else...but that's only because that person inflicted X amount of damage onto another's in the first place...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 am

shmengy, my knowledge of/interest on the topic will quickly exhaust, but I wouldn't mind hearing your position on the death penalty especially juxtaposed to my overly simplified anti-population stance...if you're so inclined...
it's not the state's place to take someone's life. it just isn't. it doesn't serve a practical purpose. they get it wrong too often (just once is too often) and again: it's not the state's place.

if i asked "why execute someone?", what would an acceptable answer be? because they deserve it? well...maybe. but balancing out karma is not why government exists.

any other reason? revenge? that's not anything to base policy off of. someone getting strapped into a chair and having their life extinguished would probably feel gratifying, but it doesn't undo anything.

cheaper to execute than to incarcerate? is this even true?

...so you've had the government execute innocent people here and there, and for what practical purpose? there isn't one.

and again: it's not their job.

this is basically it. nothing too interesting. i wish i could figure out some way to make incarceration go away too, but i can't.