Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:35 pm

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/03/charlie ... layer.html

Isn't this guy supposed to be a "business guru" or whatever?
I love Costco now, but their selection is insanely limited. If they want to compete with Amazon, they need to start carrying a much larger variety of brands and products.
And start a massive web hosting service, and develop a large scale streaming platform. It's just a dumb comparison.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:38 pm

I welcome my new Costco overlords, personally.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:49 pm

Well...at least until they get too successful...then they're meanies...

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:57 pm

Well...at least until they get too successful...then they're meanies...
:lol:

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:58 pm

The parents of the Michigan Killer are indeed being charged with involuntary manslaughter
Good. I think it was reported that after the school meeting, the parents left the kid there, and also that the kid didn't go home, which means he had the gun when the parents were at the meeting.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:08 pm

Berkshire Hathaway needs to quit being run by people who are already dead.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:15 pm

Here's a timeline of how the events unfolded, according to the prosecutor:

Nov. 26: Ethan Crumbley's father, James Crumbley, purchased a gun with his son present.

On or about Nov. 26: Ethan Crumbley posted photos of a semi-automatic gun on social media with a caption: “Just got my new beauty today. SIG SAUER 9mm.”

On or about Nov. 27: Jennifer Crumbley, Ethan Crumbley's mother, made a social media post that read, “mom and son day testing out his new Christmas present.”

Nov. 29: A teacher at Oxford High School observed Ethan searching for ammunition on his phone and reported that information to school officials. His parents did not reply when the school attempted to contact them. Later, Jennifer Crumbley exchanged texts with Ethan stating, “LOL I’m not mad at you. You have to learn not to get caught.”

Nov. 30: On the morning of the shooting, Ethan’s teacher came across a note that “alarmed her to the point that she took a picture of it on her cell phone.” The note contained “a drawing of a semiautomatic handgun pointing at the words ‘the thoughts won’t stop. help me.’" Also included in the note was a drawing of a bullet with “blood everywhere” written above it. Between the gun and the bullet is a drawing of a person who appears to have been shot twice and bleeding with a laughing emoji under it. The note also has “my life is useless” and “the world is dead” scrawled on it.
The parents were “immediately summoned to the school." A school counselor removed Ethan from class with his backpack and obtained the note, but the drawings of the gun, bloody figure and writings were all “altered.” At the meeting with school officials, his parents were shown the drawing and were told they had to submit their son to counseling within 48 hours. His parents did not ask the whereabouts of the gun and did not to inspect his backpack for the gun which he had with him, according to McDonald. His parents “resisted” the idea of taking Ethan out of school and left without him.
When the news of the active shooter had been made public, Jennifer Crumbley texted her son, "Ethan, don't do it," McDonald said.

Additionally, "James Crumbley called 911 reporting that a gun was missing from his house, and he believed his son may be the shooter," McDonald said.
Last edited by Willie Kool on Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:19 pm

The Costco stuff confused me at first because I work with Amazon Web Services a lot

I’m excited to eventually use Kirkland Web Services

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:21 pm

I'm totally cool with those parents going to trial.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:21 pm

What does it mean the drawings were "altered"?

Parents certainly seem like they should be held responsible to some extent for this. I find it hard to believe that this would be the first sign he had any sort of issues going on in his life, or the only signs of needing help he showed.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:28 pm

What does it mean the drawings were "altered"?
He had scribbled it all out.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:29 pm

my god those parents are **** stupid

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:33 pm

Allegedly.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:34 pm

I bet there are a lot of screwed up kids today and in the future because of how dumb parents and politics combine in today's world.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:36 pm

I welcome my new Costco overlords, personally.
welcome to the club

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:43 pm

https://www.wsj.com/articles/life-insur ... 1637663580
Higher yields from these investments have helped slow an industrywide decline in investment income since U.S. interest rates plummeted during the financial crisis of 2008-09, Moody’s said. Investment income as a percentage of cash and invested assets has fallen to 4.3% from 5% since 2015, according to Moody’s.

A drawback to the trend is that the assets can be harder to sell than the publicly traded bonds they tend to replace. Should an insurer need to raise a lot of cash quickly, they could be especially difficult to unload in an economic downturn.

So far at least, the industry has plenty of other assets to tap for quick sale. “These investments generate higher returns than other traditional long-term investments and are a good match for insurance companies’ long-term insurance liabilities and capital surplus,” Manoj Jethani, a senior analyst at Moody’s, said about the rise in illiquid investments.

This helps to outweigh their riskier characteristics, as long as the insurer has strong investment capabilities and maintains adequate overall liquidity, he said.
Heard that one before.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:43 pm

from class with his backpack and obtained the note, but the drawings of the gun, bloody figure and writings were all “altered.” At the meeting with school officials, his parents were shown the drawing and were told they had to submit their son to counseling within 48 hours. His parents did not ask the whereabouts of the gun and did not to inspect his backpack for the gun which he had with him, according to McDonald. His parents “resisted” the idea of taking Ethan out of school and left without him.
[/quote]

It also seems crazy that the school let him go back to class and didn't search his backpack. Lots of bad decisions on this one.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:37 pm

OK, this gave me a good chuckle #funwithscales

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:52 pm

2 cents!

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:56 pm

Blood on those parents hands.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:56 pm

from class with his backpack and obtained the note, but the drawings of the gun, bloody figure and writings were all “altered.” At the meeting with school officials, his parents were shown the drawing and were told they had to submit their son to counseling within 48 hours. His parents did not ask the whereabouts of the gun and did not to inspect his backpack for the gun which he had with him, according to McDonald. His parents “resisted” the idea of taking Ethan out of school and left without him.
It also seems crazy that the school let him go back to class and didn't search his backpack. Lots of bad decisions on this one.
[/quote]

Yep. Probably should have search that bag if they were that concerned.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:56 pm

I'm totally cool with those parents going to trial.
Apparently they're not. They are no longer in communication with their lawyer and the sheriff's department, US Marshals and FBI are now looking for them.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:57 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:55 pm

Welfare mothers make better lovers
Just wanted you to know at least one person appreciated this reference. :)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:29 pm

Diddle then evade?
Shoot, move, communicate. Diddle, then evade.