Politics And Current Events

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:51 pm

My family is from Italy.

My grandparents barely knew English

My father and his siblings speak broken English

I don’t even speak Italian

Immigrants “assimilate” over generations. All this assimilation garbage is bullshit.
Get. Out.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:55 pm

My family is from Italy.

Immigrants “assimilate” over generations. All this assimilation garbage is bullshit.
Get. Out.
Huh?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:59 pm

This one checks all the boxes.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Technically it's an ellipse...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:24 pm

My family is from Italy.

There are studies that document this via naming practices. Immigrant generation comes here obviously with names in their mother tongue. They have children in this country who they give less 'ethnic' sounding names. The second generation born here ends up being called 'John' or 'Jennifer'.

It takes an average of like 10 years for the immigrant generation to learn English.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:28 pm

Journalists at the time tried to investigate these claims from Johnson, they've concluded that it appears to be more of a smear attempt. So basically, even if something even approaching her description of the events happened, it could never be proven, and thus is as meaningless as all the outstanding rape allegations against Trump.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:30 pm

Is Gloria Allred involved yet?

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:32 pm

Maybe Dr. Ford is available for use.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Technically it's an ellipse...
I laughed.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:34 pm

Journalists at the time tried to investigate these claims from Johnson, they've concluded that it appears to be more of a smear attempt. So basically, even if something even approaching her description of the events happened, it could never be proven, and thus is as meaningless as all the outstanding rape allegations against Trump.
and honestly, it might be completely bogus, and the regressive left will not acknowledge that possibility. and it's gonna be a bad look.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:40 pm

As an aside, I find the casual mockery of women coming forward with these kind allegations disgusting. Imagine witnessing someone who sexually assaulted you rise to the most powerful positions in the world, you are almost forced to come forward because imagine thinking that the attacker might want to tie loose strings from their past.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:41 pm

President Trump is expected to announce he is backing down from his effort to include a citizenship question on the 2020 census, and will instead instruct the Commerce Department to get the data through other means, sources tell ABC News

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/ ... 8498917377

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:43 pm

If that's a response to me I'll clarify that I view Ford as a special case which is why I indeed casually mocked her. It wasn't my intent to impute that characterization onto the current situation and if that's how it came off I apologize for not being more clear.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:50 pm

If that's a response to me I'll clarify that I view Ford as a special case which is why I indeed casually mocked her. It wasn't my intent to impute that characterization onto the current situation and if that's how it came off I apologize for not being more clear.
Fair enough, i obviously don't share your views on the merits (or lack thereof) of her accusations. We can agree to disagree on that.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:52 pm

President Trump is expected to announce he is backing down from his effort to include a citizenship question on the 2020 census, and will instead instruct the Commerce Department to get the data through other means, sources tell ABC News

This guy really does fly by the seat of his pants.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:56 pm

This guy really does fly by the seat of his pants.
I think Trump's motivation is that he doesn't want the news to tell everyone that he lost. I really don't think he's that invested in making better GOP districts in the future. Plus, the NYT has portrayed this whole thing as a giant win-win for Trump. As many news stories that Trump can get out there that the census citizenship question could depress response a bit.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:40 pm

Meanwhile, after giving everyone a week's heads up, he seems hellbent on going ahead with the deportation raids this weekend.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:55 pm

I really don't think he's that invested in making better GOP districts in the future.
I don't think he necessarily cares (or knows enough to care), but his top advisors do. The interest in including the question again I think pre-dates Trump.

The funny thing about this to me is that there was a citizenship question going back to the early 19th century, being removed from the short-form (that all households receive) about 70 years ago; however, it remained on the long-form version sent to a limited number of households up until the most recent decennial survey in 2010. It was pretty clear from Roberts' opinion that the notion of reintroducing such a question would be fine, provided it comported with the statutory requirements that a predicate rational reason be established. The DOJ just argued a rationale that proved to be false, so kablammo.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:00 pm

There's no doubt in my mind that I should have millions and millions - I have millions of people, so many people I wouldn't believe it, but I know that we've been blocked, People come up to me and they say, 'Sir, I can't get you. I can't follow you.'

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:20 pm

i don't think you understand the impact. but to be fair, nor do most of the people on the left who live in outrage culture.

he isn't going to have a lasting effect on policy, and his brand of chrony-ism isn't really significantly different than anyone else. and i also think that he'd be tied to a chair and gagged if there was a real threat that he was compromising US intelligence to hostile foreign powers.

but people are miserable. and a big shift started in the fall of 2016. people have been gut punched over and over about having a sexual predator in office who is pissing all over the title of president. it matters more to people than it does to you. congrats.

people's ideals have been crushed and the nation is divided. hate from both sides and racism has been emboldened by this dingus. the federal government has been exposed as a joke. stasis is f***ed. this is legitimately stressful. people are in therapy because of this. small kids actually do come home upset that the government is like this. it's not just a facebook meme.

...to which the response would either be "get over it snowflakes" or "i disagree because i can't see past my own nose". but i don't care. acknowledge it or don't. doesn't really change anything.

I am considering voting for Trump next year precisely because I want the beclowning of the presidency and the federal government to continue. Sure, it might not be intentional, but Trump is doing a sparkling job of highlighting the fact that the fedgov is a stinking garbage pile that it utterly unworthy of what little respect people still give it. Now if people would only just realize that all levels of government are worthy of the same contempt…

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:25 pm

bad take

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:27 pm

bad take
To say the least

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:43 pm

i don't think you understand the impact. but to be fair, nor do most of the people on the left who live in outrage culture.

he isn't going to have a lasting effect on policy, and his brand of chrony-ism isn't really significantly different than anyone else. and i also think that he'd be tied to a chair and gagged if there was a real threat that he was compromising US intelligence to hostile foreign powers.

but people are miserable. and a big shift started in the fall of 2016. people have been gut punched over and over about having a sexual predator in office who is pissing all over the title of president. it matters more to people than it does to you. congrats.

people's ideals have been crushed and the nation is divided. hate from both sides and racism has been emboldened by this dingus. the federal government has been exposed as a joke. stasis is f***ed. this is legitimately stressful. people are in therapy because of this. small kids actually do come home upset that the government is like this. it's not just a facebook meme.

...to which the response would either be "get over it snowflakes" or "i disagree because i can't see past my own nose". but i don't care. acknowledge it or don't. doesn't really change anything.

I am considering voting for Trump next year precisely because I want the beclowning of the presidency and the federal government to continue. Sure, it might not be intentional, but Trump is doing a sparkling job of highlighting the fact that the fedgov is a stinking garbage pile that it utterly unworthy of what little respect people still give it. Now if people would only just realize that all levels of government are worthy of the same contempt…
You are smart. This take is really dumb.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Perhaps Shyster is trying to tell us he's running for Mayor.

;)