Politics And Current Events

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu May 02, 2024 2:47 pm

Yeah, the famous "sermon on the mound."

Side note: Can we get this board to embed x.com? Or at least automatically change "x.com" to "twitter.com" so it will embed.
Blame X for being trash with integrations.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu May 02, 2024 8:01 pm

also, seems like there’s “escalation” regarding Israel/Palestine protests in UCLA. I don’t think King Slutsky realizes how she and her ilk, along with crazy pro-Israel protestors, are making things so much worse. I feel like the flames are being fanned by bad actors like the Russians or something. At this point it feels like it’s easy to get people really riled up and pissed off and lose all sense of sensibility in the US

the last few years have felt like the “slow motion” one would feel before a car crash or something. Except it hasn’t felt like the car has crashed yet. The US really feels like it’s deteriorating. I’m not sure how people can be too hopeful about the future
Kent State, Richard Nixon, Vietnam, & Jim Crow all called, they'd like their End Times Prophecy back.
Yeah. Every generation feels it’s the end of times, but here we are.
It's a blend of being so shamelessly self absorbed while concurrently overconsuming crooked media that we search for reasons to make it all about us.

Yet today I went to work, had some productive meetings, came home celebrated a birthday, took my kids to baseball and soccer (many many families and happy people all around) and I'm gonna go play some beer league hockey with my best friends, then slam a couple beers and wings while watching the end of the Bruins leafs.

If this is what the collapse of the USA looks like...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu May 02, 2024 8:06 pm

To play Devils Advocate, isn't that how issues snowball into even bigger issues?

"Oh, I have it good, so things must not be that bad." Meanwhile, the forest fire behind you is slowly getting bigger and uncontainable.

I'm not going to say things are as bad as MIMH is saying it is, but I wouldn't say there's nothing to worry about either.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu May 02, 2024 8:09 pm

KC gets it.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu May 02, 2024 8:09 pm

While I agree, I'm certainly not worried about a couple young and clueless lunatics at Columbia or UCLA or whatever the hell ruining their own futures

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu May 02, 2024 9:23 pm

:thumb: to KC

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu May 02, 2024 10:14 pm

I mean, the microcosm of my life is really nice. I have a ton of money (and was happily laid off), I get to spend a ton of time with my family, girlfriend and friends, I’m in great health and play a significant amount of hockey and golf, etc

but that’s a little too myopic to think of it that way. Humans war as much as we’ve ever done except nuclear weapons are now a pretty constant part of the equation. The temperature of the earth has been rising pretty obviously because of human activity but because Al Gore made some stupid predictions 20 years ago half of the country convinced themselves that it’s not real. Every generation of human and most animals from now on will likely have some amount of microplastics in them for likely the rest of life on earth. And those are just the global issues

healthcare in this country is ****. Workers rights in this country are ****. The judicial branch of this country is ****. Half of the country sees “separation of church and state” as sacrilege. And if you think the implementation of functional AI by mega corporations is gonna be a good thing for society then you’re either lying or naive (less about AI enslaving humanity and more about employers getting rid of large swaths of jobs)

my life is great but the future is bleak

I admit I’m prone to anxiety and fretting about a future that isn’t here yet only serves to hurt me, not help, but still. It sucks

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu May 02, 2024 11:03 pm

So the police can intervene before somebody shoots up a school. Huh.
Don't tell the FBI.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu May 02, 2024 11:11 pm

This is the greatest.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu May 02, 2024 11:18 pm

I'd like to know the % of the student population that's involved in these protests.

My guess it's very low and some of these protestors are not students.

@count2infinity, any of this going on at PSU?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu May 02, 2024 11:18 pm

I'd say 1% at best.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu May 02, 2024 11:21 pm

Ask doublewinder.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 03, 2024 6:08 am

This is the greatest.

:lol:

The Brute Force

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri May 03, 2024 9:25 am

I'd like to know the % of the student population that's involved in these protests.

My guess it's very low and some of these protestors are not students.

@count2infinity, any of this going on at PSU?
Look at Ol Miss yesterday. You had a couple dozen protestors and a couple hundred drunk frat boys drowning them out. That's in the deep south, so I'm sure it's got the lowest demonstrator to bro ratio, but lets be honest it's probably not much better elsewhere.
Its probably is a good sign about who is a student and who isn't, though. Organize that stuff in Oxford and you get dozens; organize that in LA, Berkeley, Austin, or New York and you've got outsiders helping turn it into hundreds.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 03, 2024 9:30 am

@count2infinity ity, any of this going on at PSU?
Nothing disruptive as far as I'm aware. I think there were the typical marches and sign holding crowds, but none of the trespassing into buildings or violence or anything like that.
That kind of stuff is reserved for the proud boys 'round these parts... ;)
My wife will be on campus pretty much all day Sunday for graduation stuff, so that definitely didn't get canceled or anything.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 03, 2024 9:42 am

Our Board of Trustees just passed (yesterday) a new policy on free speech and political activities on campus. Basically, no viewpoint should be shielded from our students as long as the discussion is rational. They further define what is permissible for demonstrations etc.

But we've had not protests here, and we're done for the summer (students are done. I'm here forever).

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri May 03, 2024 10:42 am

I heard a house member saying this new antisemitism law will penalize (not sure how) anyone calling for the end of Israel as a state.

Huh? Not that I agree with the sentiment, but that seems crazy.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 03, 2024 12:00 pm

NEW: Truth Social’s accounting firm has just been shut down and fined $14M by the SEC for “massive fraud”.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri May 03, 2024 12:03 pm

lol

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 03, 2024 12:17 pm

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 03, 2024 1:17 pm

NEW: Truth Social’s accounting firm has just been shut down and fined $14M by the SEC for “massive fraud”.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri May 03, 2024 1:32 pm

Looking at the news stories, there are no allegations whatsoever that Truth Social or any of the many other customers of BF Borgers CPA PC were part of the fraud or were even aware of the fraud. The SEC's press release makes it clear that the fraud was on Borgers' customers, which would mean that Truth Social was a victim of the fraud:
The SEC also charged the Respondents with falsely representing to their clients that the firm’s work would comply with PCAOB standards; fabricating audit documentation to make it appear that the firm’s work did comply with PCAOB standards; and falsely stating in audit reports included in more than 500 public company SEC filings that the firm’s audits complied with PCAOB standards.

The release also mentions that Borgers has 369 impacted customers, so it's not like Truth Social was the sole company being audited or anything like that.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri May 03, 2024 1:44 pm

One grifter being grifted by another grifter.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri May 03, 2024 1:51 pm

Looking at the news stories, there are no allegations whatsoever that Truth Social or any of the many other customers of BF Borgers CPA PC were part of the fraud or were even aware of the fraud. The SEC's press release makes it clear that the fraud was on Borgers' customers, which would mean that Truth Social was a victim of the fraud:
The SEC also charged the Respondents with falsely representing to their clients that the firm’s work would comply with PCAOB standards; fabricating audit documentation to make it appear that the firm’s work did comply with PCAOB standards; and falsely stating in audit reports included in more than 500 public company SEC filings that the firm’s audits complied with PCAOB standards.

The release also mentions that Borgers has 369 impacted customers, so it's not like Truth Social was the sole company being audited or anything like that.
this makes it way more hilarious

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri May 03, 2024 2:11 pm

One grifter being grifted by another grifter.
The stock has had a somewhat decent rebound.